Which providers allow for 7/14/30 day trials?

Old July 12th 05, 03:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
CJM

Default Which providers allow for 7/14/30 day trials?

I'm with plusnet, on a 2Mbps package, but I'm only getting 450-500Kbps
throughput. I have a support ticket that has been open for a month, and
after a lot of nothing, BT finally arrived to check my setup.

My line had an extension of a type that can cause problems, which the
engineer fixed, but it didnt solve the problem overall. However, running the
BT SpeedTester gave an throughput of 1800+ Kbps which is the kind of area
I'd expect, but when switched back to the Plusnet account I'm back to
500Kbps.

So I want to try another provider to see if I can get better speeds with
them... Are there any providers that will offer a short-term trial? Is this
possible even? Can I temporarily switch to an alternative provider to test
this?

Cheers

Chris

--

[remove the obvious bits]

Old July 12th 05, 04:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spack

"CJM" wrote in message
I'm with plusnet, on a 2Mbps package, but I'm only getting 450-500Kbps
throughput. I have a support ticket that has been open for a month, and
after a lot of nothing, BT finally arrived to check my setup.

My line had an extension of a type that can cause problems, which the
engineer fixed, but it didnt solve the problem overall. However, running
the BT SpeedTester gave an throughput of 1800+ Kbps which is the kind of
area I'd expect, but when switched back to the Plusnet account I'm back to
500Kbps.

So I want to try another provider to see if I can get better speeds with
them... Are there any providers that will offer a short-term trial? Is
this possible even? Can I temporarily switch to an alternative provider to
test this?

Now you've had the speed test from BT have you opened or updated your ticket
with PN to advise them? It sounds like you're connection is being throttled
to 512kbps and is just waiting for PN to make the change at their end to
increase the speed which normally happens when BT notify them that an
upgrade has been carried out (and in this case, there's no upgrade so you
need to notify them yourself).

Dan

Old July 12th 05, 08:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 12 Jul 2005 17:25, ComPCs wrote:

Doesn't that suggest the fault lies with/or at Plusnet? After all, if
connecting to the BT network causes no issues, but routing thru PN's
does ... where does logic say the problem lies? Did I miss something?

It might, or it might just be that the type of traffic which the user
wants to use on his connection is subject to traffic shaping (assuming
he might have the Broadband Plus account at 14.99 and be using some app
that is for peer-to-peer file sharing, or downloading binary newsgroups)

Of course, if the account is a PAYG or Premier, then perhaps the problem
lies with the remote sites... As a brief experiment, I tried using my
2000 kbps Plus.Net "Broadband Plus" connection and with a few of the
local council webcams, and a few from the USA, I had the following

Rx Speed (kB/s) Rx Speed (kB/s)
67.00 17.13
29.85 13.70
22.18 5.56

with a few other web pages being downloaded (and not taking account of
two other PCs which may be using this same connection for some traffic)
the total rx speed for my 'snapshot' (at a fairly busy part of the day)
was 156 kB/s which is quite respectable. I didn't push it with 2 or 3
high-speed webcam streams (from Boston University) or trying to d/l a
700 MB movie from CinemaNow, but I would hesitate to point fingers at
the service from Plus.Net for limited download speeds... Peter M.

Old July 12th 05, 08:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 12 Jul 2005 15:37, "CJM" wrote:

Are there any providers that will offer a short-term trial? Is this
possible even?

Can I temporarily switch to an alternative provider to test this?

I doubt this is possible with a regular customer line, to have service
from more than one ISP... at least not "on request" the way you want
(but it was recently the case someone had access to two, when they had
migrated and their old ISP was still accepting their login). ISPs may
have this set up so they can test (eg where they run several different
branded services... ironically, Plus.Net has such a line !) Peter M.
Old July 13th 05, 11:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
CJM

"poster" wrote in message
news

It might, or it might just be that the type of traffic which the user
wants to use on his connection is subject to traffic shaping (assuming
he might have the Broadband Plus account at 14.99 and be using some app
that is for peer-to-peer file sharing, or downloading binary newsgroups)

No it's ALL traffic. Any way you want to slice it... the max throughput is
is 60KBps/500Kbps. All the time, every time.

Of course, if the account is a PAYG or Premier, then perhaps the problem
lies with the remote sites...

It is a premier, and I'm talking about speedtests...eg. the plusnet
speedtest or the one on adslguide.org. So the problem is not related to
remote sites.

Old July 13th 05, 11:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
CJM

"Spack" wrote in message

Now you've had the speed test from BT have you opened or updated your
ticket with PN to advise them? It sounds like you're connection is being
throttled to 512kbps and is just waiting for PN to make the change at
their end to increase the speed which normally happens when BT notify them
that an upgrade has been carried out (and in this case, there's no upgrade
so you need to notify them yourself).

Nah, they claim that I'm enabled for a 2Mbps connection and I'm not
throttled back.

Yes the ticket is still open and I'm still chasing them; they are currently
running 'tests'.

Old July 14th 05, 02:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
CJM

I havent been able to test yet (still at work) but I have been contacted by
Plusnet - apparently they think they have solved the problem...

Why they couldnt have done this test 8 weeks ago is beyond me.