plusnet+ traffic shaping question

Old July 13th 05, 08:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
paul

Default plusnet+ traffic shaping question

hi,
i am thinking of subscribing to plusnet+ broadband, however the issue of
'traffic shaping' worries me, as i regularly p2p & torrent.
does anyone in this group have experience of traffic shapping?
what will it take the broadband speed down to?
what times is it likely to happen? (ie 6pm-12am etc)
is application of traffic shapping perminant, or is it applied on an
hourly/daily basis?

i know premiere is a better option, but its a little to rich for my pocket.

thanks
paul

Old July 13th 05, 09:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 13 Jul 2005 07:09 GMT, "paul" wrote:

i am thinking of subscribing to plusnet+ broadband, however the issue of
'traffic shaping' worries me, as i regularly p2p & torrent.
does anyone in this group have experience of traffic shaping?
what will it take the broadband speed down to?

It doesn't work that way - there's no set speed, but it is made to be lower
priority than web browsing and e-mail traffic, so anyone else would get to
do what they want and your peer-to-peer would get slower.

what times is it likely to happen? (ie 6pm-12am etc)

Any time when 'general' traffic is present, and the way the peaks and troughs
appear, thats from about 08:45 to 00:45 (so all the daylight hours and then
some, can be considered 'busy')... There's a web page (found via Help...)
http://www.plus.net/support/adsl/troubleshooting/adsl_utilisation.shtml

is application of traffic shaping permanent, or is it applied on an
hourly/daily basis?

I believe it is all the time, BICBW. There might be some definitive posts
about it in the ADSLguide user forum for Plus.Net users. I don't use any
peer-to-peer and binary newsgroups are low on my list, so it does not do
anything adverse to my downloading speeds... podcasts at full speed, and
films from CinemaNow.com stream OK, along with webcams and audio streams,
on my 2000 kbps connection.

i know premiere is a better option, but its a little to rich for my pocket.

Then some other ISPs might serve better, but most have pricing which gets
higher than the 21.99, unless you tie yourself down to 500 kbps for a long
while. You could always start off on Broadband Plus, recommend the service
to friends and family and be getting 50p/month/recommendation off the charge
and that'd bring the monthly cost down below the 20 quid mark... accept the
lower speed for peer-to-peer for a few months. Peter M.

Old July 14th 05, 07:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

"paul" wrote:

hi,
i am thinking of subscribing to plusnet+ broadband, however the issue of
'traffic shaping' worries me, as i regularly p2p & torrent.
does anyone in this group have experience of traffic shapping?
what will it take the broadband speed down to?
what times is it likely to happen? (ie 6pm-12am etc)
is application of traffic shapping perminant, or is it applied on an
hourly/daily basis?

i know premiere is a better option, but its a little to rich for my pocket.

thanks
paul

Don't be tempted by the 14.99, you get what you pay for. I migrated from
Pipex last month. I use BNR for binary downloads & have found that the
throttling to be VERY severe. It seems to operate most of the time now,
tho' it was a bit faster when I joined. From about 8am to sometime after
midnight, binary download speeds are about 10kB/s & only increase to around
25kB/s for a few hours in the early hours of the morning, it isn't much
faster than a dial-up most of the time.(this also includes header
downloads).

I think that if you want to utilise a 1 or 2meg connection for anything
other than web you should go for the premier account or another provider.
My old Pipex 512 account was around 5 times faster for binaries.