Any Ideas what package?

Old July 13th 05, 10:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan

Default Any Ideas what package?

Friend who lives in the USA for Six Months, then the UK for
the other Six Months wants to have Broadband whilst here in the UK.
..
Anybody know/recommend a Six Month package if it exists. He will want
to retain his email address so he can view from the USA. Also, he doesn't
want to go through some signing up procedure with an ISP when he returns
to the UK each time.
Is there a cheap option other than paying for the 12 months?
He's currently with BT whilst here and AOL when across the pond.
..
Thanks
Alan

Old July 13th 05, 11:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 13 Jul 2005 09:27, "Alan" wrote:

Is there a cheap option other than paying for the 12 months?

No, because activation cost of 50 +VAT is likely to be charged (quite
likely to be more than the flat 58.75, in fact, more like 70 quid for
a 'monthly' contract from many ISPs). One option would be to use the
Metronet PayGo 500 account (which has an activation fee to pay, and a
monthly charge from 11.75 to 22.75 depending on traffic on a 500 kbps
connection, while another might be the Broadband Plus account from PN
(which I'm using) which costs 14.99/month with no traffic quotas, and
will be activated without charge (based on "you stay, Plus.Net pays")
but closing the account would mean paying back some part of that fee.

Plus.Net works on the basis of charging 100% (50 +VAT) in first year,
80% (40 +VAT) during second year, 60% (30 +VAT) in third and so on,
if the account is closed. The connection would be 500, 1000 or 2000
kbps (whatever was the max speed his line could handle). So for the
costs these two might compare as below:

Plus.Net Metronet

Speed up to 2000 kbps 500 kbps

Activation 'free' 70.50

monthly 14.99 (11.75 to 22.75)

annual 12x 14.99 6x 11.75
6x 22.75

first year 179.88 from 211.50 to 277.50

subsequent 179.88 from 141.00 to 207.00

switching ISP (up to 58.75) (no fee from Metronet)

He's currently with BT whilst here and AOL when across the pond.
Anybody know/recommend a Six Month package if it exists. He will want
to retain his email address so he can view from the USA. Also, he doesn't
want to go through some signing up procedure with an ISP when he returns
to the UK each time.

Plus.Net provides multiple mail accounts, forwarding and so on.

There is no "included" mail account with Metronet, but one can register
a .info domain for about $3/year (so he'd have a pretty permanent and
unchanging mail address) and then use free (yahoo.co.uk) or paid-for
mail services (Claranet, runbox, mailsnare, fastmail) for that side.

Old July 13th 05, 11:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 13 Jul 2005 09:27, "Alan" wrote:

He will want to retain his email address so he can view from the USA.

Just dawned on me he might be wanting to keep his BT mail address...
I'd say 'ditch it and never go back to an ISP-based mail address' as
there will sometime be a situation where you can no longer make use of
it (been there, with a mail address I used for 8 years until the ISP in
Massachusetts was swallowed up by RCN cable and scrapped all user mail
addresses after a year or two...) Peter M.

Can be added as an MX record, so your domain mail gets stored safely,
with IMAP / POP / SMTP (not locked to port 25) facilities.

USENET news service ? http://tinyurl.com/3rjw4 (plans from under US$5)
Old July 13th 05, 04:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gel

goodmix here

http://www.plus.net/residential/broa..._broadbandlink

Old July 13th 05, 06:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan

"| Friend who lives in the USA for Six Months, then the UK for
| the other Six Months wants to have Broadband whilst here in the UK.
| .
| Anybody know/recommend a Six Month package if it exists. He will want
| to retain his email address so he can view from the USA. Also, he doesn't
| want to go through some signing up procedure with an ISP when he returns
| to the UK each time.
| Is there a cheap option other than paying for the 12 months?
| He's currently with BT whilst here and AOL when across the pond.
| .
| Thanks
| Alan

Thanks Poster for taking time and Gel for details, he's now deciding which way to go.
It looks like a 12 month contract.
..
Regards
Alan