Vonage calls for broadband only connections

Old July 14th 05, 12:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
7

Default Vonage calls for broadband only connections

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/07...e_line_rental/

Save you having to pay double for unwanted telephone line
as you can do all that with instant messengers, video conferencing,
VoIP and services like skype that don't require analogue telephone
capability.

Bring on LLU and we shall see!!!

Someone out there should be able to provide such services.

Old July 14th 05, 10:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Godfrey

"7" wrote in message
. uk...
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/07...e_line_rental/

Save you having to pay double for unwanted telephone line
as you can do all that with instant messengers, video conferencing,
VoIP and services like skype that don't require analogue telephone
capability.

Bring on LLU and we shall see!!!

Someone out there should be able to provide such services.

I like the quote from BT;
"We are aware that applications providers that don't contribute to the cost
of building and supporting that ever improving broadband network have little
appreciation of the economics involved," said a BT spokesman. "Our
customers, however, do."

In your broadband utopia will LLU be providing, and maintaining, lines for
free or does it only apply to BT?

Old July 14th 05, 11:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 10:02:43 +0100, "Paul Godfrey"
wrote:

"7" wrote in message
.uk...

Bring on LLU and we shall see!!!

In your broadband utopia will LLU be providing, and maintaining, lines for
free or does it only apply to BT?

Grin. The way people write about LLU, you'd imagine it was a company
setting up in comp to BT and providing its own cables, instead of a
process whereby other companies get access to use BT's circuits but BT
still have to maintain them.

Old July 14th 05, 01:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

I was under the impression the LLU providers still had to pay BT for
exactly that reason?

If the bit of copper to your house breaks, you pay your LLU provider,
and they pay BT. The difference is, we as customers don't HAVE to go
with BT for normal day to day service, and they no longer have a
monopoly. Why should we all have to pay through the nose for lines
which were laid 30 or 40 years ago?

Old July 14th 05, 01:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

I should add, I'm trying Vonage at home at it's pretty unreliable in my
experience.

Old July 14th 05, 11:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
7

Paul Godfrey wrote:

"7" wrote in message
. uk...
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/07...e_line_rental/

Save you having to pay double for unwanted telephone line
as you can do all that with instant messengers, video conferencing,
VoIP and services like skype that don't require analogue telephone
capability.

Bring on LLU and we shall see!!!

Someone out there should be able to provide such services.

I like the quote from BT;
"We are aware that applications providers that don't contribute to the
cost of building and supporting that ever improving broadband network have
little appreciation of the economics involved," said a BT spokesman. "Our
customers, however, do."

In your broadband utopia will LLU be providing, and maintaining, lines for
free or does it only apply to BT?

May be BT$ is unfit for the task and better done people
who know better. If it were down to me, I've
already seen better technology and wouldn't use
any of BT$ outdated technology or management approaches.

And yes they are fscked up about "..cost of building and supporting.."
catering to the lowest form of amateur management fruitcakes running
the place and their schemes and because they are clueless
fscktards in marketing and it shows up on everyone's radar
and I wouldn't be seen in the same street with them!

Bring on LLU and we shall see!!

BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Old July 14th 05, 11:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 22:30:13 UTC, 7
wrote:

May be BT$ is unfit for the task and better done people
who know better. If it were down to me, I've
already seen better technology and wouldn't use
any of BT$ outdated technology or management approaches.

And yes they are fscked up about "..cost of building and supporting.."
catering to the lowest form of amateur management fruitcakes running
the place and their schemes and because they are clueless
fscktards in marketing and it shows up on everyone's radar
and I wouldn't be seen in the same street with them!

Bring on LLU and we shall see!!

BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

As articulate as ever, I see.

euthanasia recommended. ]
Old July 15th 05, 01:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Godfrey:
In your broadband utopia will LLU be providing, and maintaining, lines for
free or does it only apply to BT?

The LLU provider PAYS BT for the use of the line, just reduced to £80 p.a.
IIRC.
So, in theory at least, they could pass some saving to customers not using
the line for BT voice calls.
Regards,
Martin

Old July 15th 05, 08:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 22:30:13 GMT, 7
wrote:

BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Do you make that noise whenever they pull the strings tight?

--
cerberus