Connect router to PC rining windows 98?

Old July 14th 05, 10:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alison Howe

Default Connect router to PC rining windows 98?

Hi, I have a Linksys router which I want to connect my old laptop to.
Problem is I dont know how to connect it using windows 98. I have connected
my ethernet cable to a port on my router and laptop and assumed it would
just work. It doesn't and keeps prompting me to put in connection settings.
I previously had a PAYG dialup on the machine but I have now deleted it.

As you can see I'm not to great when it comes to computers so any help would
be greatly appreciated to help me connect my router..

Old July 14th 05, 11:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ABC

"Alison Howe" wrote in message
Hi, I have a Linksys router which I want to connect my old laptop to.
Problem is I dont know how to connect it using windows 98. I have
connected
my ethernet cable to a port on my router and laptop and assumed it would
just work. It doesn't and keeps prompting me to put in connection
settings.
I previously had a PAYG dialup on the machine but I have now deleted it.

As you can see I'm not to great when it comes to computers so any help
would
be greatly appreciated to help me connect my router..

Your laptop is still configured to use a dial-up account. Go into IE, and
choose Tools Internet Options. In the Connection tab, choose "Never dial a
connection", or you can runb through the setup wizard choosing a LAN
connection.

Also, make sure that your laptop has been issued with an IP address from the
router. In the run command line, type winipcfg. Make sure that the device
listed shows your network card and not a PPP adaptor. There shoud be an IP
address automatically assigned (if your laptop/router is configured for
dhcp).