Three Firewalls

Old July 14th 05, 06:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ken

Default Three Firewalls

I'm currently running three firewalls. The XP firewall, Zonealarm
(free version) and the one in my ADSL modem/router.

Are there any disadvantages/advantages in doing this?
Old July 14th 05, 07:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Reg Edwards

I'm currently running three firewalls. The XP firewall, Zonealarm
(free version) and the one in my ADSL modem/router.

Are there any disadvantages/advantages in doing this?

===============================

I've never had a firewall of any sort.
Try doing without and see what happens.

Old July 15th 05, 06:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Lispcombe

"Reg Edwards" wrote in message
"I've never had a firewall of any sort.
Try doing without and see what happens."

What a sitting duck you are.........

Old July 15th 05, 12:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
CJM

"Reg Edwards" wrote in message
I'm currently running three firewalls. The XP firewall, Zonealarm
(free version) and the one in my ADSL modem/router.

Are there any disadvantages/advantages in doing this?

===============================

I've never had a firewall of any sort.
Try doing without and see what happens.

Just out of interest, what's your IP address?

Just curious...

Chris

Old July 15th 05, 01:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
It's Me

It's not advised to run more than one software firewall, but having said
that I do and have done for ages. I also have a hardware firewall in my
router.

Only problem with it is when you first set up a system, but get one working
before you add another, if you get problems disable them one at a time sort
out problem and re-enable untill all is running correctly.

Works for me, but not advised by others.

Old July 15th 05, 02:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul D.Smith

Ditch the XP firewall. No point have two software firewalls providing
you've configured ZoneAlarm properly.

Most hardware firewalls protect you from the outside, but not the outside
from you! If your PC becomes infected (and it happens to everyone at
sometime in life), then ZoneAlarm won't let any old crap reach the internet.
It's not foolproof but, for example, I can't even ping the outside world
without being forced to say "yes" to ZoneAlarm and that's just the way I
like it!

Paul DS.

Old July 15th 05, 08:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lenny Nero

Reg Edwards said:

I've never had a firewall of any sort. Try doing without and see what
happens.

Not using a firewall is stupid, but up to you, I suppose you dont lock any
doors or your car.

I hope your computer does not get used for something very nasty as the law
is now of the view (and rightly so) if your computer is used for something
(the transfer of kiddy porn, fraud) the owner is liable.

A working firewall is much more important than an anti virus and simple to
setup. I use a hardware router firewall and a software firewall on each
computer, the XP FW does not really count as it only stops incoming
connections and does nothing for a trojan'ed computer doing the owners
bidding.

Kerio 2.x is a very good and free FW, I am not a fan of ZA.

L.

--
Want to help to keep the best free usenet servers running ?
http://www.readfreenews.com

Old July 15th 05, 11:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Treeherder

Ken wrote in
:

I'm currently running three firewalls. The XP firewall, Zonealarm
(free version) and the one in my ADSL modem/router.

Are there any disadvantages/advantages in doing this?

I thought that when you install and activate ZA, the WinXP firewall gets
switched-off.

From
http://www.zonelabs.com/store/conten...oCenter/compat
ibility.jsp:

As recommended by Microsoft, ZoneAlarm disables Windows Firewall on
installation and re-enables it if ZoneAlarm is uninstalled.

--
treeherder.co.uk (marcus)

Any reference to trees or their herding is purely coincidental.
Old July 16th 05, 03:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PiLGRiM

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 18:10:42 +0100, Ken wrote:

I'm currently running three firewalls. The XP firewall, Zonealarm
(free version) and the one in my ADSL modem/router.

Are there any disadvantages/advantages in doing this?

Yes.

The XP and ZA firewalls will be competing for resources on your
machine, and are incurring a performance hit.

Old July 18th 05, 11:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Monro

CJM wrote:

"Reg Edwards" wrote in message
I'm currently running three firewalls. The XP firewall, Zonealarm
(free version) and the one in my ADSL modem/router.

Are there any disadvantages/advantages in doing this?

I've never had a firewall of any sort.
Try doing without and see what happens.

Just out of interest, what's your IP address?

A close inspection of the headers gives a good clue as to what it was
at the time of posting. The host at that address appears not to be
responding now though...
--
Alex Monro, Exeter, UK Life is like Windows - the documentation
alexm at pobox dot com (No HTML) is useless, and it crashes horribly