ADSL Filters

Old July 14th 05, 07:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim S.

Default ADSL Filters

Hi everyone

Assuming I have this setup:

+---Phone (downstairs)
Phone socket -- splitter +
+------Extension------Phone (upstairs)

And I want my ADSL router to be upstairs, where should the ADSL filters
go? What would be the ideal setup?

Thanks for your time
Tim
Old July 14th 05, 08:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chip

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 19:23:40 +0100,it is alleged that "Tim S."
spake thusly in uk.telecom.broadband:

Hi everyone

Assuming I have this setup:

+---Phone (downstairs)
Phone socket -- splitter +
+------Extension------Phone (upstairs)

And I want my ADSL router to be upstairs, where should the ADSL filters
go? What would be the ideal setup?

Thanks for your time
Tim

You'd want something like this:

|---Filter---Phone (downstairs)
Main Socket--splitter |
| RJ11 ADSL output not used

|---Extn---Filter---Phone (upstairs)

RJ11 ADSL output--Router

Make sure the extn to upstairs is twisted pair solid core cable rather
than a flexible cord type, non-twisted pair cables of any significant
length are A Bad Thing for ADSL, it may work, it may not, but proper
twisted pair cable's not expensive.

I take it from your diagram you have the old style master socket
rather than a modern NTE5 Linebox.

If the run upstairs IS via flexible cord, it may pay you to obtain a
secondary socket and connect a very short length of cord with a plug,
to the secondary socket, then to some fixed Cat5 cable or CW1308
telephone cable as follows:

Main--Short cord--Ext socket--Filter---Phone (downstairs)
| |
| RJ11 ADSL output not used

|-Cat5 or CW1308-----Filter---Phone (upstairs)

RJ11 ADSL output--Router

If the splitter is one of the BT style plug in extension kits with
solid core twisted pair cable, the original diagram will work.

Hope this makes sense, my ascii diagram abilities are limited g.

--
I have left orders to be awakened at any time in case of national emergency,
even if I'm in a cabinet meeting.
Old July 15th 05, 01:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim S.

Chip wrote:
On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 19:23:40 +0100,it is alleged that "Tim S."
spake thusly in uk.telecom.broadband:

Hi everyone

Assuming I have this setup:

+---Phone (downstairs)
Phone socket -- splitter +
+------Extension------Phone (upstairs)

And I want my ADSL router to be upstairs, where should the ADSL filters
go? What would be the ideal setup?

Thanks for your time
Tim

You'd want something like this:

|---Filter---Phone (downstairs)
Main Socket--splitter |
| RJ11 ADSL output not used

|---Extn---Filter---Phone (upstairs)

RJ11 ADSL output--Router

Make sure the extn to upstairs is twisted pair solid core cable rather
than a flexible cord type, non-twisted pair cables of any significant
length are A Bad Thing for ADSL, it may work, it may not, but proper
twisted pair cable's not expensive.

I take it from your diagram you have the old style master socket
rather than a modern NTE5 Linebox.

If the run upstairs IS via flexible cord, it may pay you to obtain a
secondary socket and connect a very short length of cord with a plug,
to the secondary socket, then to some fixed Cat5 cable or CW1308
telephone cable as follows:

Main--Short cord--Ext socket--Filter---Phone (downstairs)
| |
| RJ11 ADSL output not used

|-Cat5 or CW1308-----Filter---Phone (upstairs)

RJ11 ADSL output--Router

If the splitter is one of the BT style plug in extension kits with
solid core twisted pair cable, the original diagram will work.

Hope this makes sense, my ascii diagram abilities are limited g.

Thanks Chip, that's very helpful.
Old July 16th 05, 12:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bill

Chip wrote:

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 19:23:40 +0100,it is alleged that "Tim S."
spake thusly in uk.telecom.broadband:

And I want my ADSL router to be upstairs, where should the ADSL filters
go? What would be the ideal setup?

Thanks for your time
Tim

Chip's suggestion is very similar to mine, except that I have a combined
extension socket/filter making it a bit tidier:

|----Phone (downstairs)
|---Filter-|
Main Socket--splitter |- RJ11 not used

| |---Dial up
modem (turned off)
| |-splitter|---Phone
|---Extn---Slave ADSL socket

---RJ11 --Router

and I bet that text wraps !

Bill
Old July 16th 05, 05:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim S.

Chip wrote:
snip
Make sure the extn to upstairs is twisted pair solid core cable rather
than a flexible cord type

Hi Chip

I've been searching for this without success. What exactly am I looking
for? Any idea where I could buy this in the UK?
Old July 16th 05, 05:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chip

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 17:21:48 +0100,it is alleged that "Tim S."
spake thusly in uk.telecom.broadband:

Chip wrote:
snip
Make sure the extn to upstairs is twisted pair solid core cable rather
than a flexible cord type

Hi Chip

I've been searching for this without success. What exactly am I looking
for? Any idea where I could buy this in the UK?

Tlc electrical, Maplin electronics, B&Q. What you're looking for is
something similar to this:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Images/P...e_3/CAGPO4.JPG

--
"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on
*no* account be allowed to do the job."