Any Zen Linux users??

Old July 14th 05, 07:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
can2002

Default Any Zen Linux users??

I've been going round in circles trying to find out the implications of
moving to Zen. To try and shortcut the issue, is anyone out there using a
Linux host as a firewall with an ADSL modem and a block of static addresses?
I want to run valid addresses on my Ethernet side.

If so, have you configured a bridge interface and joined both your PPP &
Ethernet adaptors to it?

Cheers,
Chris

Old July 14th 05, 08:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James

On 2005-07-14, can2002 [email protected] wrote:
I've been going round in circles trying to find out the implications of
moving to Zen. To try and shortcut the issue, is anyone out there using a
Linux host as a firewall with an ADSL modem and a block of static addresses?
I want to run valid addresses on my Ethernet side.

If so, have you configured a bridge interface and joined both your PPP &
Ethernet adaptors to it?

Yup.

I don't do it now, but I used to have my linux pc + speedtouch modem +
ethernet card (or two), and it worked great. Firewall, nat, shaping,
etc.

Configure the modem to pick up it's IP address via the PPP magic.
Configure the ethernet interface to use your static IP block. I gave
eth0 the same IP address as ppp0, but you don't have to.

Turn on magic packet forwarding shaping firewalling etc, and there you
have it.

James
Old July 14th 05, 08:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian Chapman

In article , can2002
[email protected] wrote:

I've been going round in circles trying to find out the implications of
moving to Zen. To try and shortcut the issue, is anyone out there using a
Linux host as a firewall with an ADSL modem and a block of static addresses?
I want to run valid addresses on my Ethernet side.

If so, have you configured a bridge interface and joined both your PPP &
Ethernet adaptors to it?

Try asking in the Zen forum on http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk. Lots of
helpful people there.

--
Adrian

"Theory and practice are the same in theory, but different in practice"
Old July 14th 05, 09:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
can2002

"James" [email protected] wrote in message ...
Yup.

I don't do it now, but I used to have my linux pc + speedtouch modem +
ethernet card (or two), and it worked great. Firewall, nat, shaping,
etc.

Configure the modem to pick up it's IP address via the PPP magic.
Configure the ethernet interface to use your static IP block. I gave
eth0 the same IP address as ppp0, but you don't have to.

Turn on magic packet forwarding shaping firewalling etc, and there you
have it.

James

Hi James,

Thanks very much for that!!

Cheers,
Chris

Old July 24th 05, 01:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Adrian Chapman wrote:

Try asking in the Zen forum on http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk. Lots of
helpful people there.

Try http://www.zensupport.co.uk/ where there are definitely Zen staff