is there a way i can find out how far away my exchange is

Old July 14th 05, 07:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
epaton

Default is there a way i can find out how far away my exchange is

just wondering if anyone knew of a list of the telephone exhange
locations, i know it isnt quite that simple but it would give me a rough
idea what sort of service i could get switching over from cable
Old July 14th 05, 08:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chip

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 18:49:46 GMT,it is alleged that epaton
spake thusly in uk.telecom.broadband:

just wondering if anyone knew of a list of the telephone exhange
locations, i know it isnt quite that simple but it would give me a rough
idea what sort of service i could get switching over from cable

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php

Stick in your phone number and postcode, it will tell you the
exchange, availability, distance from the exchange, a map of the
exchange's location and some stats on the exchange.

HTH

--
I have left orders to be awakened at any time in case of national emergency,
even if I'm in a cabinet meeting.

Old July 14th 05, 11:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
RChick

"epaton" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 19:00:19 +0000, Chip wrote:

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 18:49:46 GMT,it is alleged that epaton
spake thusly in uk.telecom.broadband:

just wondering if anyone knew of a list of the telephone exhange
locations, i know it isnt quite that simple but it would give me a rough
idea what sort of service i could get switching over from cable

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php

Stick in your phone number and postcode, it will tell you the exchange,
availability, distance from the exchange, a map of the exchange's
location
and some stats on the exchange.

HTH

cool cheers

Unfortunately that is not the complete picture. BT say I cannot have
Broadband on my phone number as I am too far from the exchange even though I
have had a BT 512KB connection for the last 3 years with no problems.
Samkows tells me I am 3.1km from the exchange (straight line distance)

Results from samknows below

You may be able to receive 512Kbps ADSL
(Engineer visit likely)

You are approximately 3.21km from the exchange (straight line distance).

However, there appears to a compatibility issue with your phone line. This
could be caused by an existing broadband connection, ISDN, a DACS unit,
TPON, a pending ADSL order or many other common issues. This will need to be
resolved before ADSL can be supplied to your line.

Old July 15th 05, 12:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

rchick wrote:
"epaton" wrote in message
news
[...]

Well seeing as you have already got an ADSL service on the line, try
engaging brain & then reading the last paragraph again. It should become
clear then.

To spell it out, the compatability issue is the fact that you already have
DSL service.....

Old July 15th 05, 09:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
RChick

"kraftee" [email protected]&die wrote in message
rchick wrote:
"epaton" wrote in message
news
[...]

problems. Samkows tells me I am 3.21km from the exchange (straight
line distance)
Results from samknows below

You may be able to receive 512Kbps ADSL
(Engineer visit likely)

You are approximately 3.21km from the exchange (straight line
distance).
However, there appears to a compatibility issue with your phone line.
This could be caused by an existing broadband connection, ISDN, a
DACS unit, TPON, a pending ADSL order or many other common issues.
This will need to be resolved before ADSL can be supplied to your
line.

Well seeing as you have already got an ADSL service on the line, try
engaging brain & then reading the last paragraph again. It should become
clear then.

To spell it out, the compatability issue is the fact that you already have
DSL service.....

To kraftee

I was only trying to be helpful to epaton. Try using your eyes and let them
send some signals to your brain and read all of my post.

I applied to BT for a upgrade when the 1M service first became available and
was told this was not available as I was too far from the exchange, my next
door neighbour could not even get BT to supply a 512K connection quoting
distance from the exchange being to great (he does now has a 512K service).
BT still insist, despite them now providing an up to 2M service, that we are
too far from the exchange for anything greater than 512K.

All I was pointing out was the fact that the results from the samknows
website can be misleading. If I input to samknows just a post code without
a phone number I am informed that only a 512K connection is available at my
location despite the straight line distance of 3.21km

Old July 15th 05, 03:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ABC

rchick wrote:
"epaton" wrote in message
news On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 19:00:19 +0000, Chip wrote:

[...]

It doesn't really matter what the "straight-line" distance is from the
exchange, it's the route of the 2-wires that count (as well as the
condition/quality of the copper). If the route takes the copper across the
other side of town, then it will be too long for anything other than 512k.
If BT have used an alloy to replace a section of cable instead of using
copper, or the copper is poor quality, then this will also have an affect.
The only way to determin one way or another is for a BT engineer to conduct
a site visit and to carry out extensive tests.

Old July 15th 05, 05:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
RChick

rchick wrote:
"epaton" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks ABC that sums up what I was trying to say. Exchange distance is only
one factor.