Accessing other ISP emails?

Old July 14th 05, 11:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

Default Accessing other ISP emails?

Hi
I am going onto broadband next week with a different ISP to my dial up
account and wondered if I can still access my old email address?. Do I
have to manually dial in to the old pop server (Virgin) or is there any
other way please.
Cheers
Steve
Old July 14th 05, 11:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chip

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 22:33:35 GMT,it is alleged that Steve
spake thusly in uk.telecom.broadband:

Hi
I am going onto broadband next week with a different ISP to my dial up
account and wondered if I can still access my old email address?. Do I
have to manually dial in to the old pop server (Virgin) or is there any
other way please.
Cheers
Steve

You should be able to receive mail just fine from another isp. Sending
mail however won't work unless you change the outgoing (smtp) mail
server to your new isp's.

Example: current setup-

Email address
Incoming: mail.virgin.net
Outgoing: mail.virgin.net

New setup-

Email address

Incoming: mail.virgin.net
Outgoing: your_new.isps_smtp.server

HTH

--
I have left orders to be awakened at any time in case of national emergency,
even if I'm in a cabinet meeting.
Old July 14th 05, 11:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

Thanks again for the help Chip!.
Easy when you know how.
Steve
Old July 14th 05, 11:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Cummings

In message , Steve
writes
Hi
I am going onto broadband next week with a different ISP to my dial up
account and wondered if I can still access my old email address?. Do I
have to manually dial in to the old pop server (Virgin) or is there any
other way please.

Most ISPs' will let you fetch email from their servers from any
connection.

For how long they make this available to you is probably a question for
virgin
--
Ian Cummings
Old July 15th 05, 07:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Vernon Quaintance

Steve wrote:

Hi
I am going onto broadband next week with a different ISP to my dial up
account and wondered if I can still access my old email address?. Do I
have to manually dial in to the old pop server (Virgin) or is there any
other way please.
Cheers
Steve

You can COLLECT mail from any POP account that you amy have with any
ISP, irrespective of which one you used to make the connection to the
Internet. Just add the new ISP's incoming mail details to your mailer's
accounts section to collect from there as well as the current ISP
(Virgin in your case).

However, you can usually only SEND mail through the outgoing (SMTP)
server of the ISP you use to make the Internet connection. You will
therefore have to change the account details for your current ISP's
incoming mail to arrange for the OUTGOING mail to use a different server
(ie that of your new Broadband ISP).
Old July 15th 05, 10:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 15 Jul 2005 07:56, Vernon Quaintance wrote:

You can COLLECT mail from any POP account that you amy have with any
ISP, irrespective of which one you used to make the connection to the
Internet.

That's generally or even overwhelmingly true, but not always - there was the
case of FreeNetName (dial-up) which registered a 'free' .co.uk domain but it
was a condition of use that one dialled in, and they blocked external e-mail
collection... I don't know of others as examples, but someone was recently
commenting on e-mail from another ISP which suggested they might move in a
similar direction.

Old July 15th 05, 01:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"Vernon Quaintance" wrote in message
.. .

[snip]

You can COLLECT mail from any POP account that you amy have with any
ISP, irrespective of which one you used to make the connection to the
Internet. Just add the new ISP's incoming mail details to your mailer's
accounts section to collect from there as well as the current ISP
(Virgin in your case).

However, you can usually only SEND mail through the outgoing (SMTP)
server of the ISP you use to make the Internet connection. You will
therefore have to change the account details for your current ISP's
incoming mail to arrange for the OUTGOING mail to use a different server
(ie that of your new Broadband ISP).

Alternatively if you use a service like Google Mail you can use this from
anywhere. It uses different ports from the normal 25 (SMTP) and 110 (POP3)
used by most servers.

(If anyone wants a Google account, I still have 50 left to give away..!)

Ivor

Old July 15th 05, 03:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chip

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 14:08:41 +0100,it is alleged that ComPCs
spake thusly in uk.telecom.broadband:

In article ,
Hi
I am going onto broadband next week with a different ISP to my dial up
account and wondered if I can still access my old email address?. Do I
have to manually dial in to the old pop server (Virgin) or is there any
other way please.

Bear in mind that if your Virgin account is a PAYG dial-up, then
ordinarily you need to dial into said account once every 60 days in
order for them to maintain it. This means actually dialling in via your
modem, and not simply collecting POP email from that account via
whatever method.

From Virgin's T&C's which you no doubt read when signing up:

"Virgin.net may terminate this agreement and the Service or may suspend
all or a part of the Service by immediate notice, if:

2. you have failed to use the Service by direct access in any 60 day
period. All email and webspace (Freespace) content including your email
address will be deleted and will not be retrievable. For the avoidance
of doubt, accessing your account via webmail does not constitute direct
access of the Service"

Hope that helps.

Well spotted in the T&Cs.

Hmm, maybe this could be combined with the 'must make some calls via
BT to be eligible for BT privacy' thread in uk.telecom. Dial into
virgin once per month for 5 mins to check email.

--
"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on
*no* account be allowed to do the job."