Tiscali cancellation and MAC codes?

Old July 14th 05, 11:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

Default Tiscali cancellation and MAC codes?

Can anyone tell me if as rumoured, Tiscali take a long time to remove their
marker from your line after cancelling the service? Is this true? And if
it is true, who do I get in touch with to complain about this? If this is
the case (and I don't know if it is), why is no-one looking into the way
this firm apparently takes so long to release a line marker after
cancellation? Surely someone is in charge over ISPs to make sure they are
operating in accordance with the rules? Are there any rules?

I would like to hear from anyone who has moved from Tiscali and how long it
took you to transfer to your new provider.

The aim is minimum down time, hopefully well under a week. If this is out
of the question, he would consider dumping his whole BT line and starting
again with a new line/number if it speeds things up.

Please let me know what experiences you have, of any comments on the above.

Thanks Dave

Old July 15th 05, 12:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George

[...]

If you get a MAC code from Tiscali, then there should be little or no
downtime. This page should be useful to you:- Broadband migration -
Industry code of practice -

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/advice/telec...m_cop/?a=87101

George

Old July 15th 05, 12:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"George" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for that, but Tiscali don't appear to be on the list of ISPs who have
signed up to the code of practice????
How come this company is not on the list, and who regulates them?
Dave

Old July 15th 05, 03:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 15 Jul 2005 00:35, "Dave" wrote:

How come this company is not on the list, and who regulates them?

It's a voluntary code, AFAIK. Tiscali is listed by Metronet as about
the only ISP which does not provide a MAC... there have been quite a
few posts about them in recent weeks, try http://groups.google.com/

Old July 15th 05, 11:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
WeeWillyTonka

"Dave" wrote in message
: Can anyone tell me if as rumoured, Tiscali take a long time to remove
their
:snip

This may help

Dear Dr **********,

Tiscali

Thank you for submitting your recent complaint about Tiscali via the Ofcom
internet site. I note your concern that Tiscali will not give you a MAC
Code.,

Many broadband service providers and BT have worked together to define a
process and associated principles for migrating customers between service
providers. This has been put into a Code of Practice that Ofcom has now
issued.

Signing up to the current Code of Practice is voluntary and therefore there
are several large companies who have not signed up and do not currently
intend to do so. Service providers are therefore not currently obliged to
allow customers to migrate their service using this process.

Tiscali has not signed up to the Code of Practice as they believe that the
current process does not enable the majority of their customers to enjoy a
seamless migration. Tiscali uses a different wholesale product called
DataStream as their underlying service. This enables them to provide the
bulk of the service only using their own network.

Most service providers use IPStream and therefore the migration process was
designed to initially provide a solution for IPStream migrations and needs
to be adapted to enable DataStream - IPStream migrations.

As migrations from DataStream to IPStream are not yet available Tiscali has
decided against signing up to the Code of Practice in its current form.
Consequently Tiscali is not releasing MAC Codes.

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but where Tiscali refuses to use
the migration process, any of their customers seeking to change providers
will have to cancel the Broadband service they have already and re-order
with the new provider they want to move to.

Unfortunately this will lead to a significant period of down time, up to 22
days, because that is the length of time that the whole cease and re-provide
process takes.

BT is currently developing a process that will enable customers to migrate
between the two access services (IPStream and DataStream) and is scheduled
to be introduced during the coming months.

Yours sincerely

Chris Stock
Ofcom Contact Centre

Old July 15th 05, 05:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Smith \(UK\)

"WeeWillyTonka" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in message
: Can anyone tell me if as rumoured, Tiscali take a long time to remove
their
:snip

This may help

Dear Dr **********,

Tiscali

Thank you for submitting your recent complaint about Tiscali via the Ofcom
internet site. I note your concern that Tiscali will not give you a MAC
Code.,

Snip about Tiscali's sad excuse for an excuse that thet don't want to show
favouritism to IPStream customers

As migrations from DataStream to IPStream are not yet available Tiscali
has
decided against signing up to the Code of Practice in its current form.
Consequently Tiscali is not releasing MAC Codes.

Since June 1st there IS a DataStream to IPStream migration process, except
most ISPs don't (won't) do it.

Bob

Old July 19th 05, 07:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
EddyStone

Go for plan b), use a new phone supplier.
It took Tiscali/BT over a month to "release my line". All the other comments
are correct e.g No way you get a MAC
out of Tiscali. Tiscali do not seem to have an escalation proceedure. You
cannot talk to BT Wholsale as Tiscali are
their customer. I spent the best part of a week trying to make things
happen, but failed.
Ted

Old July 19th 05, 04:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"EddyStone" wrote in message
Go for plan b), use a new phone supplier.
It took Tiscali/BT over a month to "release my line". All the other
comments are correct e.g No way you get a MAC
out of Tiscali. Tiscali do not seem to have an escalation proceedure. You
cannot talk to BT Wholsale as Tiscali are
their customer. I spent the best part of a week trying to make things
happen, but failed.
Ted

If thats the only way they can keep customers, well it stinks. They are
obviously falling further and further back on the quality and speed of
packages on offer.

When are they going to start offering 1MB and 2MB like all the other 'GOOD'
companies?

Dave

Old July 20th 05, 03:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"EddyStone" writes:
Go for plan b), use a new phone supplier.
It took Tiscali/BT over a month to "release my line". All the other comments
are correct e.g No way you get a MAC
out of Tiscali. Tiscali do not seem to have an escalation proceedure. You
cannot talk to BT Wholsale as Tiscali are
their customer. I spent the best part of a week trying to make things
happen, but failed.

One thought -- no idea if it would work, but possibly worth a try
if someone's really keen to leave Tiscali...

Cancel and immediately reconnect your BT phone line, just like when
a new person moves into a house, but in this case you are taking
over your old line. I think that will immediately cease the Tiscali
ADSL, and you should then be able to get a new one connected up normally
in less than a week. You might even be able to pre-arrange an ADSL
connection with some ISP's and get the time reduced. AFAICS, this would
just cost you a reconnection charge, which looks like it might be free.

Like I said, not tried it myself, and there's probably plenty of scope
to screw up or get lumbered with extra charges if it doesn't work out...

--
Andrew Gabriel
Old July 20th 05, 04:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 20 Jul 2005 14:26 GMT, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Like I said, not tried it myself, and there's probably plenty of scope
to screw up or get lumbered with extra charges if it doesn't work out...

it's only the "not having done that" factor which made me hesitate to
suggest it, to be fair :-) Still seems a bit 'risky' (like somehow
not getting your old number back! ) Peter M.