Simpleton-grade instructions to connect iMac to Bulldog Broadband?

Old July 15th 05, 12:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.sys.mac
Nndroid

Default Simpleton-grade instructions to connect iMac to Bulldog Broadband?

I've just been activated on Bulldog and am trying to get connected. I
have an iMac running OS 10.3.7 and bought a D-Link DSL-502t ADSL router
on the advice of MicroAnvika who said it was Mac compatible. There's no
Mac software or firmware in the box or on the website. In the ten week
wait for activation I've discovered how seldom Bulldog's tech support
answer the phone so I'm coming to people who know, IE you.

1] How do I get the iMac to talk to the router? It's got Ethernet and
USB. All instructions require turning the Mac into a DHCP client and I
haven't a clue how to do this. Enclosed software is PC only and
requires things like "hardware wizards" which Macs don't have.

2] I've downloaded PC firmware from the D-link site. How do I get this
onto the router? And do I need software on the Mac to control the
router?

3] Imagine I've finally got the iMac connecting to broadband via the
router. How to I get the iMac to connect wirelessly via an [original]
Airport? I'd imagine the settings go like this:

phone socket-microfilter-
ADSL router-[ethernet cable]-
Airport-[wireless]-iMac

What settings should I put into the Airport to make it act purely as a
distributor of the ADSL info received from the Router?

If anyone can sort this by posting in either of these groups you will
have my undying gratitude.

thanks

NNDROID

Old July 15th 05, 07:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.sys.mac
tricky

On 2005-07-15 00:09:28 +0100, "Nndroid" said:

[...]

Connect iMac and Router with ethernet cable.
Select the Apple Icon (top left corner of the screen) and then System
Preferences Network Ethernet.
Under the TCP/IP tab there is a drop down list with several options
including 'Using DHCP'. Select this.
After a second or two, and IP address and Subnet Mask should appear.
The default IP address of the router is 192.168.1.1, so your iMac will
probably have the address 192.168.1.2, but as long as it is 192.168.1.x
and not a lot of apparently random numbers, you'll know that your iMac
has been detected and allocated an IP address.
Now you configure the router using a web browser, by entering
http://192.168.1.1
Your manual should include the default username and password to access
the router.......ah ha, the default username is admin and the password
is admin also!
You'll need to details from Bulldog to configure your ADSL access.
The instructions from D-link UK-FTP are pretty good - you want the
first set entitled DSL-502T Internet connection with NAT.
The firmware is uploaded to the router using a html form - there is a
note that it should be unplugged from the ADSL when you do this.
Don't have an Airport, so someone will have to help you there.

--
Replace vetsco with a well known supermarket chain

Old July 15th 05, 08:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.sys.mac
D.M. Procida

Nndroid wrote:

I've just been activated on Bulldog and am trying to get connected. I
have an iMac running OS 10.3.7 and bought a D-Link DSL-502t ADSL router
on the advice of MicroAnvika who said it was Mac compatible. There's no
Mac software or firmware in the box or on the website.

You don't need any.

1] How do I get the iMac to talk to the router? It's got Ethernet and
USB. All instructions require turning the Mac into a DHCP client and I
haven't a clue how to do this. Enclosed software is PC only and
requires things like "hardware wizards" which Macs don't have.

Your Mac, unless you have changed something, is already a DHCP client on
Ethernet. (Apple Menu System Preferences Network Show Built In
Ethernet TCP/IP.)

2] I've downloaded PC firmware from the D-link site. How do I get this
onto the router? And do I need software on the Mac to control the
router?

No, forget it.

What you need to do is configure the router. You do that using a web
browser. The System Preferences Pane above will tell you the router's
address - type that into a web browser. It will have a default username
and password - they'll be buried in the instructions somewhere.

Then you get to configure the thing. Most likely, you'll only need to
change the ADSL login and password, but it depends on the router's
defaults. Good luck...

3] Imagine I've finally got the iMac connecting to broadband via the
router. How to I get the iMac to connect wirelessly via an [original]
Airport? I'd imagine the settings go like this:

phone socket-microfilter-
ADSL router-[ethernet cable]-
Airport-[wireless]-iMac

Yes.

What settings should I put into the Airport to make it act purely as a
distributor of the ADSL info received from the Router?

Untick "Share IP Addresses" in the Airport Admin Utility.

Daniele
Old July 15th 05, 09:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.sys.mac
David Kennedy

Nndroid wrote:

I've just been activated on Bulldog and am trying to get connected. I
have an iMac running OS 10.3.7 and bought a D-Link DSL-502t ADSL router
on the advice of MicroAnvika who said it was Mac compatible. There's no
Mac software or firmware in the box or on the website. In the ten week
wait for activation I've discovered how seldom Bulldog's tech support
answer the phone so I'm coming to people who know, IE you.

Slightly different model but the review at -

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware/reviews/2003/q3/dlink_dsl604.asp

May give some clues

--
David Kennedy

http://www.anindianinexile.com
Old July 15th 05, 10:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.sys.mac
Litha

Nndroid wrote:
[...]

I can't help you with your problem, but good luck with Bulldog - it's not
for nothing that those in the know have rechristened it Bull****...

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/new/complain/complain.shtml

and

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/new/complain/clist.shtml

Tiscali and Bull**** swap places on a weekly basis. If you're thinking
you're going to get 4Mbps then forget it. I know of many on their 4Mbps
service who are lucky to receive 512kbps... Some never get much above
dial-up and, if you're an online gamer, then forget it - the ping rates and
times are diabolical!

As of today (15/07)

a.. UPDATE 15/07/2005: 9 New Complaints - Billing errors, missing connection
(upgrade/migration delay and or technical related), poor support (no
response) and random disconnections.

Have fun... ;o)

Old July 15th 05, 02:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.sys.mac
Nndroid

Cheers all, very useful. I will give it a go at the weekend.

thanks

NNDROID

Old July 16th 05, 01:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.sys.mac
Simon Slavin

On 14/07/2005, Nndroid wrote in message
.com:

In the ten week
wait for activation I've discovered how seldom Bulldog's tech support
answer the phone so I'm coming to people who know, IE you.

Cancel your Bulldog account and open one with Demon. Demon support
people answer their phones and understand Macintoshes.

Simon.
--
Using pre-release version of newsreader.
Please tell me if it does weird things.
Old July 18th 05, 12:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.sys.mac
Nndroid

Many thanks, Tricky. I've done as you suggested and got as far as
configuring the router. The admin page gives me this:

System Uptime 0 hour(s) 46 minute(s)
DSL Status Connected
DSL Speed 576 Kbps Upstream, 7872 Kbps Downstream
LAN IP Address 192.168.1.1
Ethernet Connected
USB Disconnected
DHCP Server Running

Software Version V1.00B02T02.UK.20040611

This all looks pretty right to me but could be the data on the
router/imac Ethernet connection.

The router still won't talk to the Bulldog Broadband service. Or at
least it can't connect to websites or email servers. Any suggestions of
what I might be doing wrong?

cheers NNDROID

Old July 18th 05, 12:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.sys.mac
Elliott Roper

In article .com,
Nndroid wrote:

Many thanks, Tricky. I've done as you suggested and got as far as
configuring the router. The admin page gives me this:

System Uptime 0 hour(s) 46 minute(s)
DSL Status Connected
DSL Speed 576 Kbps Upstream, 7872 Kbps Downstream
LAN IP Address 192.168.1.1
Ethernet Connected
USB Disconnected
DHCP Server Running

Software Version V1.00B02T02.UK.20040611

This all looks pretty right to me but could be the data on the
router/imac Ethernet connection.

The router still won't talk to the Bulldog Broadband service. Or at
least it can't connect to websites or email servers. Any suggestions of
what I might be doing wrong?

cheers NNDROID

There are a few more settings about the ADSL service that the router
may need. Usually the defaults are fine.
However Bulldog should have given you a username and password for the
service - separate from the router's admin admin thing. That needs to
be placed in the panel called PPPoA setup or something similar on the
web interface for your router.
In a panel something like ISP Access Setup:-
Look for ISP name, then close by Username and password.
That's where you put the magic words from the paperwork that came from
your ISP.

OK, my experience is with different routers and ISP, but you should be
able to wing it from that.

--
To de-mung my e-mail address:- fsnospam$elliott$$
PGP Fingerprint: 1A96 3CF7 637F 896B C810 E199 7E5C A9E4 8E59 E248
Old July 18th 05, 08:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.sys.mac
Peter Ceresole

Elliott Roper wrote:

There are a few more settings about the ADSL service that the router
may need. Usually the defaults are fine.

But they may not be. I recently set somebody up with UKonline and
several of the defaults, which had been okay with my Demon account, were
wrong. In the end by some miracle I managed to get a helpdroid on the
phone (they *really* don't like to pay for enough people on the phones)
and I was able to go through the settings quickly, and it then worked.
They weren't obvious and they weren't in the written documentation that
had been sent to the new account holder. I seem to remember having to
change VCI, VPI and framing- something like that. Nothing worked
otherwise. Thank God I managed to get through the whole lot in one go,
because we never managed to raise their helpdesk again.

Ater Demon, it really was like trying to pull teeth without anaesthetic,
but it *is* cheap and the service has been reasonably good with not too
many outages.
--
Peter