Does your DG834GT work properly?

Old July 15th 05, 08:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nigel D

Default Does your DG834GT work properly?

Sorry to return to this, but I was wondering if someone else was able to
reproduce the problem

I previously posted to say that my DG834GT router often does not reconnect
properly (ie internet connection is poor or non existant after apparantly
logging on OK) after an idle timeout, with original and latest firmware.

I see the problem when connecting to my ISP, and also to the
http://www.bt.net/digitaldemo test login BT provide.

I have been exchanging info with the netgear people, who seem unable to
reproduce the problem (although I am not convined they have tried, they just
seem to try and get me to do things in a different way to see if it fixes
the problem, and no matter what I do, the problem remains)

Is there anyone willing to test their router, and set the idle timeout to 1
minute, let it disconnect a few times and see if the router then reconnects
OK when you, for example, try refreshing a web page?

I have posted some of my test results at
http://www.thedyers.org.uk/NetgearTest1.pdf

Old July 15th 05, 11:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nigel D

"Anthony R. Gold" wrote in message
On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 08:29:07 +0100, "Nigel D" [email protected]
wrote:

I previously posted to say that my DG834GT router often does not
reconnect
properly (ie internet connection is poor or non existant after apparantly
logging on OK) after an idle timeout, with original and latest firmware.

I see the problem when connecting to my ISP, and also to the
http://www.bt.net/digitaldemo test login BT provide.

Why are you allowing idle timeout? Is there a reason you don't set it to
zero minutes and just stay connected?

Tony

Because that was how my Vigor router was set before it was killed by
lightning, and it worked fine.

I have my suspicions that there is a more general problem with the way that
they manage the firewall connection states, and that the timeout problem is
linked to it, and is possibly the easiest way of showing that there is a
problem with the netgear router. I am unhappy with having equipment that
provides a firewall function that does not appear to behave correctly. Who
knows what else might be going on?

Old July 15th 05, 08:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

wrote:

[...]

Best to set the timeout to 0.

What firmware are you using?

Old July 15th 05, 10:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nigel D

wrote:

[...]

I tried with the original 1.01.00 and also the 1.01.28. The problem occurs
with both (on my setup)

--
Nigel D.
http://www.thedyers.org.uk/mail