Strange connection problem :-/

Old July 16th 05, 10:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Derby

Default Strange connection problem :-/

Hi, I'm hoping someone can provide some insight into a problem I have.

I run a home network on Pipex 1mb BB. I was using the netgear DG834
router/modem connected to 2 pc's and 1 x-box.

A few months back it developed a problem in that most nights at around
midnight web browsing would stop working. To detail the problem some more, I
use internet chat a lot, and anything that was connected would stay
connected and work fine ie ICQ, MSN, Mirc, Emule, even web based chat, But
if I tried to open IE and load a page that would say page not found, if I
disconnected MSN etc and tried to reconnect that would not work. This was
the same on both pc's and the xbox couldn't connect to the Live service. if
I removed the power cable from the modem and reinserted it then it started
working again.

A few weeks back we had a lightning strike and it killed my modem so I
bought a new one, a D-Link 504. And it has no developed this same problem,
same symptoms, I have to unplug it and plug it back in to make it work.

If anyone has any thoughts or ideas I would appreciate it greatly.

On another note if it is my ISP does anyone know what NG access is like on
plusnet, and the quality of service in general, I DL smallville eps and
would hate to switch to something with a pants NG service.

Old July 17th 05, 03:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 16 Jul 2005 22:04, "Steve Derby" wrote:

On another note if it is my ISP does anyone know what NG access is like on
plusnet, and the quality of service in general, I DL smallville eps and
would hate to switch to something with a pants NG service.

You can try it for yourself, free for 3 months, using the 'Essential' mail
+ news account. See http://www.plus.net/btbroadband/

Can be added as an MX record, so your domain mail gets stored safely,
with IMAP / POP / SMTP (not locked to port 25) facilities.

USENET news service ? http://tinyurl.com/3rjw4 (plans from under US$5)
Old July 17th 05, 03:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike G

"Steve Derby" wrote in message

On another note if it is my ISP does anyone know what NG access is like on
plusnet, and the quality of service in general, I DL smallville eps and
would hate to switch to something with a pants NG service.

I wouldn't go so far as to say PlusNets' newsreaders are pants, but
sometimes posts can be slow to appear. They have 4 readers. Usenet.plus.net,
being the default for all the readers. I'm no techie, but from what I
gather, the 4 sometimes get out of sync and readers 01 and 02 fall behind,
but you can set your account to address 1 particular reader. I've set mine
to use reader 03 and have had very few problems.
To sum up, I would say reliable, but sometimes a little slow.
Service, middling to good.
A visit to http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/ might help.
HTH.
Mike.

Old July 17th 05, 07:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

I wouldn't go so far as to say PlusNets' newsreaders are pants, but
sometimes posts can be slow to appear. They have 4 readers. Usenet.plus.net,
being the default for all the readers.
Mike.

Just to be pedantic, I think you mean news servers Mike, newsreaders are
the programs you use to read news ng.

Cheers

Dave

Old July 17th 05, 12:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike G

"dave stanton" wrote in message
news

I wouldn't go so far as to say PlusNets' newsreaders are pants, but
sometimes posts can be slow to appear. They have 4 readers.

Usenet.plus.net,
being the default for all the readers.
Mike.

Just to be pedantic, I think you mean news servers Mike, newsreaders are
the programs you use to read news ng.

I agree.
I actually altered news servers to news readers in my post, as that is what
they are called in the 'plusnet.service.customer-feedback' n/g.
They are referred to as readers 01, 02, 03, and 04, by PN staff as well as
those who post to the group.

Thinking about it, I presume the PN newsserver, 'usenet.plus.net' is made up
of 4 individual readers, which are supposed to be kept in balance by s/w. I
assume it's the s/w that falls over, overloading particular readers, which
can cause delays, but individual readers can be addressed on their own,
hence the references in the n/g, but as I said, I'm no techie.

Going back to the OP's question, I'm quite satisfied with PN's newsserver.
AFAIK no posts in the n/g's I subscribe to have been lost, despite
occasional hiccups.
I went to PN from Tiscali. Compared to them, PN is excellent. :-)
Mike.

Old July 17th 05, 01:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

[...]

Interesting Mike, I might fire a email off to PN support to find out.
Agree with your comments re Tiscali.

Cheers

Dave

Old July 17th 05, 04:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 17 Jul 2005 07:04, dave stanton wrote:

Just to be pedantic, I think you mean news servers Mike, newsreaders
are the programs you use to read news ng.

Agreed, you are being pedantic :-)

In this particular case, both of you were correct.

Plus.Net describes them as 'news readers' because they have split workload
and therefore have servers (with names like ptn-nntp-reader03.plus.net) to
let customers read news from; others which accept articles from their news
peers are not directly accessible (or might be, but may use authentication
to prevent customers from access). I don't remember the full details even
though I'm a customer but there was some description available in plusnet.
service.customer-feedback a while ago, I believe. I cannot find it right
now, though, unfortunately... I'll have another look at a later time!

Old July 18th 05, 10:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spack

[...]

Sounds like it's losing the DNS server IPs, possibly when renewing the DHCP
lease. You can put the IPs into the router as fixed addresses, just remember
that if they change in the future you'll have to update your router.

The reason apps stay connected when this happens is that they don't need to
do another DNS lookup once they're connected.

Dan

Old July 18th 05, 11:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Derby

Sounds like it's losing the DNS server IPs, possibly when renewing the
DHCP lease. You can put the IPs into the router as fixed addresses, just
remember that if they change in the future you'll have to update your
router.

The reason apps stay connected when this happens is that they don't need
to do another DNS lookup once they're connected.

Dan

Any idea why its doing the same thing with a brand new router/modem, this is
exactly the same as the problem with the old one and they were different
makes, could it be a prob at the ISP end?

Old July 19th 05, 01:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spack

"Steve Derby" wrote in message
.. .
Sounds like it's losing the DNS server IPs, possibly when renewing the
DHCP lease. You can put the IPs into the router as fixed addresses, just
remember that if they change in the future you'll have to update your
router.

The reason apps stay connected when this happens is that they don't need
to do another DNS lookup once they're connected.

Dan

Any idea why its doing the same thing with a brand new router/modem, this
is exactly the same as the problem with the old one and they were
different makes, could it be a prob at the ISP end?

Could be the renewal response is being corrupted at the ISP end so your
router doesn't receive the DNS IPs. I used to be on Pipex and never had this
issue because I'd entered the DNS addresses of the servers where I work.
I've since moved to Plusnet and now use their DNS server IP from DHCP leases
with no problems. Everyone I knew were connected to Pipex have now moved to
Plusnet so I won't be able to attempt to replicate the issue for you, but
I'd have thought if it was a widespread problem there'd be a lot of unhappy
customers. For now, just enter the IPs that you get when your router first
connects, that should solve the problem in the short term (and will be fine
until Pipex change their DNS IPs, if they ever do, or until you move to
another ISP at which point you should change them again).

Dan