ARRG I have gone and bought a router insead of a router + adsl modem combo

Old July 17th 05, 12:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Salisbury

Default ARRG I have gone and bought a router insead of a router + adsl modem combo

Hi,

I have gone and accidently bought a Linksys WRT54GS can I use my D_link
D504T adsl modem and router combo as the modem or not?

Thanks

Old July 17th 05, 01:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 23:06:08 +0100, "James Salisbury"
wrote:

I have gone and accidently bought a Linksys WRT54GS can I use my D_link
D504T adsl modem and router combo as the modem or not?

best to take it back.

You may get away with using a crossover cable to connect ethernet LAN
ports on both. Or it might have an AP (access point) mode. Turn off
the DHCP server so they don't clash.

Phil

Old July 18th 05, 10:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

James Salisbury wrote:
I have gone and accidently bought a Linksys WRT54GS [...]

Ah, yes. The "broadband router" that isn't actually compatible with the
product popularly known as "BT Broadband". A friend has a Small Claims
Court issue outstanding with Ebuyer for their product description and
its incompetence in processing an RMA that's been outstanding (by Ebuyer)
since two months ago.

Narked? Yes, definitely.

Chris
Old July 19th 05, 12:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Salisbury

wrote in message
James Salisbury wrote:
I have gone and accidently bought a Linksys WRT54GS [...]

Ah, yes. The "broadband router" that isn't actually compatible with the
product popularly known as "BT Broadband". A friend has a Small Claims
Court issue outstanding with Ebuyer for their product description and
its incompetence in processing an RMA that's been outstanding (by Ebuyer)
since two months ago.

Narked? Yes, definitely.

Chris

I have since found that it has a very good router, attach to my G504T and
provid it's own private subnet and it works fine. Just now need to find out
why my PC reports excelent signal strength but only 1Mbps air connection.

Old July 19th 05, 04:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Underwood

wrote in message
James Salisbury wrote:
I have gone and accidently bought a Linksys WRT54GS [...]

Ah, yes. The "broadband router" that isn't actually compatible with the
product popularly known as "BT Broadband". A friend has a Small Claims
Court issue outstanding with Ebuyer for their product description and
its incompetence in processing an RMA that's been outstanding (by Ebuyer)
since two months ago.

Yes, I think the term "broadband router" (as opposed to just "router") wuld
tend to imply that it includes an ADSL modem. I suppose the moral is to use
the vendors' sites (eg Ebuyer) to determine the models that are available
and the prices that they are sold for, but to check each prospective model
with its manufacturer's website - which is a bit of a pain.

Given that most routers that people will be buying for home use will be for
connection to broadband, it's probably a good idea if non-ADSL routers have
a very clear warning "This product does not include an ADSL modem" on the
box!

I hope Ebuyer see sense and refund him the cost of the badly-advised
purchase. If not, refer it to Trading Standards.

I know the WRT54G very well :-( I ordered some equipment on PC World's
website and went to collect it from their Oxford branch (about a 45 minute
round trip). The sales droid made three attempts to get it from the
warehouse behind the scenes, each time coming back with a different one and
then saying to himself "no, that's not the one". Finally he gave me what he
thought was the correct box. It wasn't until I got home that I found he'd
given me a WRT54G (Ethernet router, with no ADSL modem builtin) instead of
the G604/USB wireless adaptor bundle that I'd ordered. So I had to make
another 45 minute journey to PC World to get the right one - the assistant
who served me this time said of his colleague "that guy's a moron" as he
picked up the box from the pile of pre-ordered goods just behind the counter
where the first assistant should have looked.

Old July 19th 05, 05:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 19 Jul 2005 15:27, "Martin Underwood" wrote:

Yes, I think the term "broadband router" (as opposed to just "router") wuld
tend to imply that it includes an ADSL modem.

On the contrary, there are plenty of broadband users who have no BT phone line
and for them a "broadband router" (or to us, a router) applies perfectly...
When a friend mentioned the cost of a "broadband router" (and it seemed low),
I asked "does it mention 'ADSL' or G.dmt or similar, and when he said "no", it
was reason for alarm bells. I've seen plenty enough 'broadband routers' for
sale on Ebay, and if in doubt one should ask about it working on ADSL :-)

Old July 19th 05, 09:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Salisbury

wrote in message
James Salisbury wrote:
[...]

Did your G604T whisstle? Mine did so I had to take it back