Are Demon right about 2mb?

Old July 17th 05, 08:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter P

Default Are Demon right about 2mb?

Applied recently for Demon Home. No problems at first, all looking
good, usual confirmatory emails - until the day it was due to arrive.
Then the message on the automated phone service changed and put me
through to a rep. He said it had been cancelled - BT unable to provide
2mb (distance from exchange). Only 1mb, hence cancellation.

Struck me as odd, since they advertise Demon Home as UP TO 2mb. Had to
reapply, and he put it through as 1/2 mb.

What he's saying is that ALL BT lines will 2mb by the end of September,
and that when that happens the Demon service will automatically be
upgraded to 2mb.

This all seems a bit unlikely to me, but does anybody have any hard
info please? Thanks.

Old July 17th 05, 10:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joker7

ups.com...
:
: Struck me as odd, since they advertise Demon Home as UP TO 2mb. Had to
: reapply, and he put it through as 1/2 mb.
:
: What he's saying is that ALL BT lines will 2mb by the end of September,
: and that when that happens the Demon service will automatically be
: upgraded to 2mb.
:
: This all seems a bit unlikely to me, but does anybody have any hard
: info please? Thanks.
:

Go here and have a look for yourself.

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php

Chris

Old July 17th 05, 02:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ian

Peter P wrote:

Applied recently for Demon Home. No problems at first, all looking
good, usual confirmatory emails - until the day it was due to arrive.
Then the message on the automated phone service changed and put me
through to a rep. He said it had been cancelled - BT unable to provide
2mb (distance from exchange). Only 1mb, hence cancellation.

Struck me as odd, since they advertise Demon Home as UP TO 2mb. Had to
reapply, and he put it through as 1/2 mb.

What he's saying is that ALL BT lines will 2mb by the end of September,
and that when that happens the Demon service will automatically be
upgraded to 2mb.

This all seems a bit unlikely to me, but does anybody have any hard
info please? Thanks.

I have been a customer for many years .I got a letter saying just that about
2 weeks ago . If the attenuation of your line is to great you cant get the
full 2 Meg but nor will they charge you any less ,that was also in the
letter.

Everything you need to know is on their website www.demon.net
Old July 17th 05, 02:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter P

Thanks - have done. What it doesn't say, though, is whether there's
any truth in the statement that all BT lines across the country will be
2mb by the end of September.

Old July 17th 05, 03:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Peter P wrote:
Thanks - have done. What it doesn't say, though, is whether there's
any truth in the statement that all BT lines across the country will
be 2mb by the end of September.

Up to 2Mb yes, all at 2Mb no..

Old July 17th 05, 04:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On 17 Jul 2005 00:47:15 -0700, "Peter P" wrote:

This all seems a bit unlikely to me, but does anybody have any hard
info please?

the BT number checker at www.bt.com/broadband determines what speed of
service you can order. Demon are upgrading existing customers to the
speed stated thereon in a rolling programme. If you were a new
customer you should have gone straight to that speed.

You get either 500, 1000 or 2000 service with no in betweens or
fallbacks - it either works at the rated speed or fails.

Phil

Old July 17th 05, 04:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 17 Jul 2005, "Peter P" wrote:

Struck me as odd, since they advertise Demon Home as UP TO 2mb. Had to
reapply, and he put it through as 1/2 mb.

Seems pretty unfriendly, but then again, I suppose they might feel that a
customer could be unhappy with Demon accepting the order for 2000 kbps but
then not supplying it... some people get all legal about ISP not supplying
the service they were meant to... so covering their backs, perhaps.

What he's saying is that ALL BT lines will 2mb by the end of September,
and that when that happens the Demon service will automatically be
upgraded to 2mb.

It seems pretty unlikely, if your line cannot support 2000 kbps, for them
to upgrade you (unless they're implying there will be some change in the
BT equipment or restrictions, and at that time your BT will then allow a
user to have 2000 kbps which they're currently turning down).

Lots of people have expected higher speeds than their line support, so
it would be rather dumb to expect ALL lines will handle 2000 kbps, even
if the majority are upgraded to this speed... must say it is working here,
but a friend has Bulldog 8064 kbps so my speed doesn't appear so great :-)

Old July 17th 05, 08:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

In article , Joker7
writes

"Peter P" wrote in message
oups.com...
: Applied recently for Demon Home. No problems at first, all looking
: good, usual confirmatory emails - until the day it was due to arrive.
: Then the message on the automated phone service changed and put me
: through to a rep. He said it had been cancelled - BT unable to provide
: 2mb (distance from exchange). Only 1mb, hence cancellation.
:
: Struck me as odd, since they advertise Demon Home as UP TO 2mb. Had to
: reapply, and he put it through as 1/2 mb.

You seem to have had a problem

:
: What he's saying is that ALL BT lines will 2mb by the end of September,
: and that when that happens the Demon service will automatically be
: upgraded to 2mb.
:

Correct, all DSLAMs will be upgraded to 2Mbps by BT on a roll out basis
between April and September 2005.

When your local exchange will be upgraded to a higher speed is the
difficult thing to find out (I believe).

When it is upgraded will not mean you can get 2Mbps. This depends on the
line quality and length (length in Km - can be up to 10Km and get BB;
attenuation - as long as the line attenuation is below 43dB 2Mbps is
probable, below 60dB 1Mbps is probable otherwise stay at 0.5Mbps; and
SNR - this should read above 12dB and will drop to ~6dB on speed
increase. If lower then higher speeds are unlikely).

Some will get no increased speed (see line length, attenuation and SNR
above)

: This all seems a bit unlikely to me, but does anybody have any hard
: info please? Thanks.

This is likely, and I am hopeful of the speed increase as a Demon user.

In my case my attenuation is 60dB and SNR 12dB (reported by my router).
This is on the limit for 1Mbps (I hope). But I will not get 2Mbps as my
line length (reflected in attenuation and SNR) is 8.2Km from the
exchange.

Go here and have a look for yourself.

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php

Just reports exchange ADSL enabled (at least for me it did).

--
Hugh Janus Constipation is the thief of time, but diaorrehia waits
for no man!!
Old July 17th 05, 08:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

My line is getting enabled tomorrow for Demon Peter so will let you know
what speed I get!.
Not had any emails saying they can`t/won`t provide me with 2meg but they
do say `upto` 2meg.
Suppose worse case scenario is I`ll get dial up which is still `upto` 2
meg ;-).
Steve
Old July 18th 05, 09:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Pleasants

On 17 Jul 2005 00:47:15 -0700, "Peter P" wrote:

What he's saying is that ALL BT lines will 2mb by the end of September,
and that when that happens the Demon service will automatically be
upgraded to 2mb.

Either you misunderstood or he's talking ********. The latter is by
no means out of the question.

What decides the speed you can get is the SNR on your line (it must be
a minimum of 6-10dB for a stable connection). However it is
impossible to know what the SNR will be before a line is activitated
so instead BT use the rather less reliable method of line attenuation
(loss of signal from the exchange to your house). This can be
estimated (subject to certain variables) by line length and line
length will be known fairly accurately by BT. The longer the line the
greater the attenuation and (generally) the greater the attenuation
the lower the SNR, therefore the slower the maximum speed of the line.
BT have a maximum attenuation of 43dB for 2Mb lines.

What this means is that if Demon submitted your line for 2Mb and BT
reckoned your line was too long they would have turned it down.
Unless your house gets up and moves closer to the exchange before the
end of September your line attenuation then will be the same as it is
now and if 1Mb is all you can get now then 1Mb is all you will get
then.

Furthermore this "upgrade the line / DSLAM to 2Mb" is a myth as well.
All BT is doing is speeding up the connections of people previously on
512kbit tariffs. The DSLAM's are already capable of 2Mb and always
have been - in fact they're capable of 8Mb, just BT don't run them
that fast. I'm afraid what BT are doing in that respect is completely
irrelevant in your circumstances and I don't really know why Demon are
even bothering to tell you, unless they're just stupid.

It almost sounds as though they're suggesting they put you through now
at 512kbit and then when the bulk regrades are performed you'll get
speeded up to 1Mb automatically. Why they can't just put you through
at 1Mb now and stop wasting your time is anyone's guess.