From Home Highway to Broadband

Old July 17th 05, 07:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Iain

Default From Home Highway to Broadband

I have a Home Highway line, and an additional extra line. The HH is a
remote exchange number, and the extra line is a local exchange number.

Broadband finally gets here next week. I need to work out the best way of
going from what I have above to just one line with broadband, using the
number on the local exchange and dropping my highway service.

The complication is that my highway service reports I can have 2Mbit, but my
local number reports I can only have 1Meg. I dont know if this means that
the checker is confused by the fact the highway number is on an exchange 25
miles away, even though it is wired via my local exchange, or if it means
the pair providing my Highway service is better quality than the one for the
other number.
Obviously if at all possible I want to stay with a line that gives 2Meg, but
I need to keep the local number.

Any suggestions? I suspect that if I just order bb on my local number and
cease the hh, I will end up with 1 Meg. But trying to cease the other
number, convert the hh, and keep the other number sounds a lot more
complicated.... I'm wondering how much I trust the checker for asomewhat
odd situation like my hh.

Old July 17th 05, 07:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony Raven

Iain wrote:
I have a Home Highway line, and an additional extra line. The HH is a
remote exchange number, and the extra line is a local exchange number.

I did this about a year ago. The big problem was finding an ISP that
understood what a managed conversion was - the line tests were
consistently rejected by BT Wholesale as failing for "incompatible
equipment" the incompatible equipment being the HH equipment! I ended
up with Nildram who did the managed conversion and do a fixed cost 24/7
national phone service for 4.99 plus line rental (beats the pants off
BT's more expensive evening and weekends Leisure Talk) The second line
needs to be re-ordered if you want to keep a second line and if you are
lucky the old number can be kept. Since it is not critical (the
children use it) I put it on a Onetel line rental and evening and
weekends package which works out about the cheapest option

--
Tony

Anon
Old July 17th 05, 09:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Iain wrote:
I have a Home Highway line, and an additional extra line. The HH is a
remote exchange number, and the extra line is a local exchange number.

Broadband finally gets here next week. I need to work out the best way of
going from what I have above to just one line with broadband, using the
number on the local exchange and dropping my highway service.

snip
Any suggestions? I suspect that if I just order bb on my local number and
cease the hh, I will end up with 1 Meg. But trying to cease the other
number, convert the hh, and keep the other number sounds a lot more
complicated.... I'm wondering how much I trust the checker for asomewhat
odd situation like my hh.

To confirm - you do know that the HH service provides two analogue numbers,
over the digital line?

Plusnet did a managed conversion for me, without problems.
This is going from HH-ADSL, and if your line will not support ADSL,
then it goes back to HH, without you having to enter into a new contract.
BT do VOIP for 4.99/mo, on a 12 month contract, which plugs into your
new ADSL router, and gives you what's essentially a second BT line.

http://www.btbroadbandvoice.com/broa...oice_home.html

Of course, if you decide to go with plusnet, I'd appreciate you entering
'mauve' in the referrer box.
Old July 17th 05, 09:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Iain

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message

To confirm - you do know that the HH service provides two analogue
numbers,
over the digital line?

Yep, To get HH I had to get a number on a different, distant exchange. I
kept another line because I wanted to keep the local number as well..

Plusnet did a managed conversion for me, without problems.
This is going from HH-ADSL, and if your line will not support ADSL,
then it goes back to HH, without you having to enter into a new contract.
BT do VOIP for 4.99/mo, on a 12 month contract, which plugs into your
new ADSL router, and gives you what's essentially a second BT line.

http://www.btbroadbandvoice.com/broa...oice_home.html

Of course, if you decide to go with plusnet, I'd appreciate you entering
'mauve' in the referrer box.

Current intention is Demon, thanks.

Old July 18th 05, 12:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 17 Jul 2005 19:05, "Iain" wrote:

Obviously if at all possible I want to stay with a line that gives 2Meg, but
I need to keep the local number.

Any suggestions? I suspect that if I just order bb on my local number and
cease the hh, I will end up with 1 Meg. But trying to cease the other
number, convert the hh, and keep the other number sounds a lot more
complicated....

My guess is that you could end up paying for a managed conversion (*) and then
paying a renumber fee to keep the better connection then transfer the 'local'
phone number onto it... But the problem with that is that the number change
would be a cause for 'cease' of the ADSL.

Seems like your ISP is going to have to take care getting BT to do the lot all
in one go... the renumber *if* conversion and ADSL worked, so it would be an
"All or Nothing" change that takes place (so you lose the current HH numbers,
the current POTS line becomes 'dead' and the number goes over along with ADSL
onto the existing HH line, once that's no longer supporting HH and will then
be back to an analogue line)... All I say is "Best of Luck" with Demon (+).

(*) I didn't, just ceased the HH because of the push to BT Together Option 1
rental, when I also had two POTS lines as well... (Decided not to bother to
have a conversion and not to continue paying as it would have been quite
costly after their rental 'increase' - around 100 quid extra a year).

(+) Some time back, when I asked about a managed conversion, the person in CS
at Demon certainly knew what it was, but was clear in explaining that they
were not (at the time) interested in them, because of the 'extra hassle'
that it caused the ISP to track a managed conversion... What you may
ask for is certainly going to be a bit more complicated (if only because
someone, somewhere, is not going to understand, and you'll end up with a
wrong number, or something, such that putting it right knocks out ADSL!)

Old July 18th 05, 09:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George

My guess is that you could end up paying for a managed conversion (*)
and then
paying a renumber fee to keep the better connection then transfer the
'local'
phone number onto it... But the problem with that is that the number
change
would be a cause for 'cease' of the ADSL.

BT shouldn't cease a line for a simple number change these days. If you
keep the same account details and line, then you should be fine. The way
things 'SHOULD' happen is that BT should update their broadband system
(eCo) and the number change should be reflected in there. The reason for
this is that BT give each line it's own unique identifier seperate from
the phone number (CBUK number)

George

Old July 18th 05, 10:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 00:33:39 +0100, poster
wrote:

Some time back, when I asked about a managed conversion, the person in CS
at Demon certainly knew what it was, but was clear in explaining that they
were not (at the time) interested in them

that was the case, because so many of them went wrong - engineer not
turning up and customer phoning Demon etc. Not sure of current status.

Phil

Old July 19th 05, 02:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Iain

"Herbie" wrote in message
On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 21:32:33 +0100, "Iain"

Current intention is Demon, thanks.

Demon did my managed conversion with no problems.

Thanks for everybodys input, but it's all starting to go a bit pear-shaped
anyway. Having discussed with Demon, they are saying that the best they can
offer me on my number is 512k!!! That's using my local exchange number. The
Highway number, would be converted to a number on the same exchange and
would apparantly give the same result. It's not a normal HH exchange setup.