Network Card

Old July 20th 05, 09:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

Default Network Card

Does the capacity of youre network card have any baring on youre download
upload speed of youre router. I have a dlink wireless router. Would the
capacity of my network card have a baring on the speed I receive from my
isp. Was thinking on upgrading my network card to a Dlink 530T Gigabit
Network Card 10/100/1000mb PCI card is this likely to improve my broadband
expeirience i.e faster throughput.
Graham

Old July 20th 05, 10:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 20 Jul 2005 09:38, "Graham" wrote:

Would the capacity of my network card have a baring on the speed
I receive from my isp.

Unless you are in a position where you can get more than 10 Mbps from
the ISP, and you have a 10 Mbps card, then it is highly unlikely to
have any effect whatsoever. In the main, the speed of the LAN is
a multiple of the WAN by anything from 50 to 200 (for a 100 Mbps LAN
with an ISP connection being 2 Mbps down to 0.5 Mbps). In my case, I
have even put some PC connections through a 10 Mbps ethernet hub, so in
Windows XP's "Task Manager", the graphs show up better (traffic can get
to 20%, compared with 2% if I was using the LAN at 100 Mbps throughout)

Was thinking on upgrading my network card to a Dlink 530T Gigabit
Network Card 10/100/1000mb PCI card is this likely to improve my
broadband expeirience i.e faster throughput.

When hell freezes over, perhaps. Seriously, check uk.comp.home-networking
as someone has been trying to improve the speed of backups across his LAN
and with 1000 Mbps cards, the max is likely to be 300 Mbps, and while some
cable / UK Online / Bulldog users might have up to 8 Mbps, don't you see it
as being somewhat unlikely to change anything, whether your LAN runs at 100
or 1000 Mbps... it is massively faster than the internet links in most home
and office situations (the exceptions being at an ISP, of course!!!) PGM

Old July 20th 05, 10:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Broomhall

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 09:38:42 +0100, "Graham"
wrote:

Does the capacity of youre network card have any baring on youre download
upload speed of youre router. I have a dlink wireless router. Would the
capacity of my network card have a baring on the speed I receive from my
isp. Was thinking on upgrading my network card to a Dlink 530T Gigabit
Network Card 10/100/1000mb PCI card is this likely to improve my broadband
expeirience i.e faster throughput.

Basicaly - no. Even a 10Mbit card is faster than the fastest
broadband currently available.

Regards,
Harry.

Old July 20th 05, 10:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim Howes

Graham wrote:
Does the capacity of youre network card have any baring on youre download
upload speed of youre router. I have a dlink wireless router. Would the
capacity of my network card have a baring on the speed I receive from my
isp. Was thinking on upgrading my network card to a Dlink 530T Gigabit
Network Card 10/100/1000mb PCI card is this likely to improve my broadband
expeirience i.e faster throughput.

In short: No.

The longer version is: Depends.

Remember that if you have, say, 2Mbit ADSL, the actual data throughput
is likely to be significiantly lower than that. While the line speed
itself is actually faster than 2Mbit (to take account of the ATM
encapsulation overhead), there is still a PPP and IP overhead to account
for).

The network link between your PC and the router is not going to run at
1000Mbit, unless both ends are capable of doing so. This is unlikely
with ADSL routers. A number of single port ADSL routers have only a
10Mbit interface. At dsl line speeds of 2Mbit, this is unlikely to be a
bottleneck. Even my MicroVAX, with it's 10Mbit AUI port and external
UTP tranceiver, can keep up with that.

What is far more likely to slow down your connection is packet
inspection by firewalls. If you are behind a NAT router, do you really
need inbound packet inspection? If you use a non-swiss-cheese-edition
browser/mailer, keep up to date with security updates, and do not run
arbitary software on your machine, do you need a firewall on the machine
at all? Obviously, if you are running software you do not trust, or you
expose any part of your system to unsolicited connections from outside
your network, you do.

Finally, it is unreasonable to expect more than about 58k/sec download
for an optimised connection on 500k DSL. And that is for a single large
file, via FTP, with nothing else going on. Any conversation that
involves lots of HTTP GET requests, cookies going back and forth, etc,
will provide far less than that, even on a good day.
Old July 20th 05, 04:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 20 Jul 2005 10:59, Jim Howes wrote:

Remember that if you have, say, 2Mbit ADSL, the actual data throughput
is likely to be significiantly lower than that.

Perhaps that depends on the ISP... Just used an FTP application to d/l
a Microsoft Access database from a website (helping someone out, it was
an easy way to transfer it between us) and the application reports:

'received 16,185,344 bytes in 67.0 seconds.'

I've no way to prove or disprove that report... my firewall status was
showing a healthy 240 kB/s on much of the transfer, and Task Manager on
its networking tab was showing a received throughput of 20% (I have the
PC connected to the router via a 10 Mbps hub).

16,185,344 bytes in 67.270 seconds (reported by the remote server and a
bit more accurate than my PC's figure) is 240605.7 bytes/second or near
1,924,820 bits per second... that's pretty good, even if this is some
'cheap and nasty' (*) Plus.Net account I'm using :-)))

(*) Some would have you believe that mine is a poor ISP, but I think it
will take some time before I leave them... the 14.99 account I use is
aimed at people who use e-mail and browse the web, not for high traffic
peer-to-peer and binary newsgroup applications... Peter Morgan.

Old July 20th 05, 06:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

"Graham" wrote in message
Does the capacity of youre network card have any baring on youre download
upload speed of youre router. I have a dlink wireless router. Would the
capacity of my network card have a baring on the speed I receive from my
isp. Was thinking on upgrading my network card to a Dlink 530T Gigabit
Network Card 10/100/1000mb PCI card is this likely to improve my broadband
expeirience i.e faster throughput.

Well basic maths will give you an answer to that. What will have a bearing
is making sure everything is running at full duplex.

Ian

Old July 23rd 05, 08:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Graham wrote:

Does the capacity of youre network card have any baring on youre
download upload speed of youre router. I have a dlink wireless
router. Would the capacity of my network card have a baring on the
speed I receive from my isp. Was thinking on upgrading my network
card to a Dlink 530T Gigabit Network Card 10/100/1000mb PCI card is
this likely to improve my broadband expeirience i.e faster throughput.
Graham

As others have said, NO.

I assume that, although you mention having a wireless router, you are using
a *wired* connection to your PC? If not - i.e. if the connection is
*wireless*, the network card doesn't come into it. That matters is the speed
of the wireless connection. But even an 11b (as opposed to 11g) connection
will laugh at anything your ISP can throw at it.
--
Cheers,
Tim