Advice pre-configuring an ADSL modem for despatch

Old July 20th 05, 03:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jack

Default Advice pre-configuring an ADSL modem for despatch

Hi

I'm in the process of pre-configuring a D-Link DSL-300T ADSL modem for
despatch to a colleague's home and I want to try to set it up for him, but
without the benefit of being at his home.

This was the reason for my last question, regarding the speed with which I
could have ADSL installed in order to test it!

Anyway, the colleague's new DSL line is with Tiscali and they've provided
some technical information, which amounts to just a (dial-up) user name and
password.

Obviously I can enter these into the ADSL modem but are they any other
settings I should change, for example PPPoA, Encapsulation, VPI, VCI, QoS
and modulation type (MMODE)?

I realise that no one here can instruct me exactly, but it's really just to
ask if there's much likelihood I'll need to change the D-Link's settings
very much?

The end-user is non-technical, so I can't look forward to a simple
resolution of problems, once the kit's sent out to him!

Thanks.

Old July 20th 05, 03:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"Jack" wrote in message
[...]

As ADSL is tied to a specific phone line, you won't be able to enter his
details and use the modem from your location. It simply won't work.

You will have to do it at the location where the account is to be used.

Ivor

Old July 20th 05, 03:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jack

As ADSL is tied to a specific phone line, you won't be able to enter his
details and use the modem from your location. It simply won't work.

Thanks Ivor. I realise that I can't actually use it, but the modem does in
fact let me enter his user id., password and all the other settings, and
then save them if the D-Link's configuration.

Therefore, it is possible to pre-configure, even if I can't test it. What I
was hoping for was confirmation of the other settings. If fact, I've just
found by searching Tiscali's pages, this document...

Virtual Circuit Identifier - VCI 38
Virtual Path Identifier - VPI 0
Encapsulation Mode VCMux
Authentication Type CHAP
Protocol RFC 2364:
PPP over ATM (PPPoA)
Modulation Type G.DMT or Auto
Tiscali Primary DNS Server 212.74.112.66
Tiscali Secondary DNS Server 212.74.112.67

The D-Link's settings are slighltly different, in that Encapsulation was
defaulting to LLC, so I've changed that to 'VC'. Also, the modulation type
was MMODE, and I've changed that to GDMT.

I'm hoping that there's nothing else to change!!!!

Old July 20th 05, 04:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"Jack" wrote in message

[snip]

The D-Link's settings are slighltly different, in that Encapsulation was
defaulting to LLC, so I've changed that to 'VC'. Also, the modulation
type
was MMODE, and I've changed that to GDMT.

AFAIK all UK ADSL uses VPI 0 and VCI 38 over PPPoA.

I'm hoping that there's nothing else to change!!!!

Hopefully not, but I was trying to save you the headaches of the
inevitable "it doesn't work..!" phone call if you can't actually test it
beforehand..!

Ivor

Old July 20th 05, 04:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Ivor Jones" writes:

As ADSL is tied to a specific phone line, you won't be able to enter his
details and use the modem from your location. It simply won't work.

You will have to do it at the location where the account is to be used.

That's not completely true. I've put someone else's modem on my
line and it connected OK as them. It was with the same ISP -- this
might not work if your ADSL line is with a different ISP.

I did actually check with my ISP if it would work beforehand, and
they said it would. Indeed that is how they test the ADSL modems
they send out pre-configured, using a spare ADSL line in their
office.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Old July 20th 05, 04:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 14:50:33 +0000 (UTC), "Jack"
wrote:

Therefore, it is possible to pre-configure, even if I can't test it.

test it with the [email protected]_domain (those are underscores not
spaces)

this will at least show you got the PPPoA VC-mux and VC settings
right, and that it works.

Why did you choose to use an ethernet modem, out of interest ?

Phil

Old July 20th 05, 04:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 20 Jul 2005 15:13 GMT, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

That's not completely true. I've put someone else's modem on my
line and it connected OK as them. It was with the same ISP -- this
might not work if your ADSL line is with a different ISP.

It's almost bound not to work if they use another ISP, but like you, I
have checked the settings for friends, using my lines, in the past...
Old July 20th 05, 05:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jack

test it with the [email protected]_domain (those are underscores not
spaces)

this will at least show you got the PPPoA VC-mux and VC settings
right, and that it works.

Thanks Phil. I must confess I don't understand the [email protected]_domain.
Does this require a DSL line here in my office?

Why did you choose to use an ethernet modem, out of interest ?

I can only really say that I think network equipment is best connected to a
network port, and that USB is a shoddy way of connecting a system to the
Internet!!!

That's only my personal view, but I feel that USB is good for camera cards,
mice, scanners etc. and anything else should be via the Ethernet. I guess
there must be others who feel that that USB is the way to do it!

Old July 20th 05, 05:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Norman

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 15:44:24 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

As ADSL is tied to a specific phone line, you won't be able to enter his
details and use the modem from your location. It simply won't work.

You will be able to if both lines are provisioned via the same ISP. I
sucessfully tested out the router that I set up for my sister-in-law
using her account on my Plusnet line at home (her's was a Plusnet line
as well).
--
Andy Norman
http://www.gigajam.com/
Old July 20th 05, 05:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 16:07:23 +0000 (UTC), "Jack" wrote:

Thanks Phil. I must confess I don't understand the [email protected]_domain.
Does this require a DSL line here in my office?

yes - it's a test login which should work on lines which are enabled and set
up for various UK ISPs (using IPstream, only, AFAIK). That's meant to be a
simple test that the line is working, and won;t allow you to do much more
than prove connection goes further than the exchange (into the BT "cloud").
If that works and connection to your ISP fails, odds are you have the user/
password details wrong, or they need to set your account up to allow your
login to get somewhere :-)

Why did you choose to use an ethernet modem, out of interest ?

I can only really say that I think network equipment is best connected to a
network port, and that USB is a shoddy way of connecting a system to the
Internet!!!

Agreed. However the *bulk* of users have a combined ADSL modem/router (and
it is sometimes the case one sees a post of someone hunting for just a modem
as they already have a router from using a cable service, and then find that
there's minor [or major] confusion because the integrated units [cost from
around 25 quid] do the job so easily and messing with a plain ADSL modem
is just additional effort by comparison... I doubt anyone would be dumb
enough to recommend USB in preference, but combined modem/router for sure :-)