Netgear DG834

Old July 20th 05, 06:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PJB

Default Netgear DG834

Have just bought one of these, being somewhat of a Netgear fan, to replace
my aging EN5861. It connects just fine, no problems there, but port
forwarding is proving troublesome. All the requisite inbound ports are set
correctly, and to ALLOW ALWAYS, but nothing can get through the damn thing.
EG FTP is set to forward to my server on the lan, but can I connect through
it?..no way Jose, same with VNC, SMTP, POP3 etc. Anyone shed any light
perhaps?

P.

Old July 20th 05, 10:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Amy Sue

"Anthony R. Gold" wrote in message
On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 18:21:09 +0100, "PJB" wrote:

Have just bought one of these, being somewhat of a Netgear fan, to
replace
my aging EN5861. It connects just fine, no problems there, but port
forwarding is proving troublesome. All the requisite inbound ports are
set
correctly, and to ALLOW ALWAYS, but nothing can get through the damn
thing.
EG FTP is set to forward to my server on the lan, but can I connect
through
it?..no way Jose, same with VNC, SMTP, POP3 etc. Anyone shed any light
perhaps?

All I can say is that it works for me, so that suggests finger trouble at
your end.

Are you using NAT?

Are your LAN hosts on fixed IP addressing or do they use DHCP?

Did you forward the right ports to the right LAN addresses?

After creating the firewall Rules, did you check them to be Enabled?

Is logging on ALWAYS for the ports you're having problems with?

What does the log show?

Tony

My guess is that the OP is trying to loop back by connecting out from his
network and back in again via the external router address. AIUI this will
not work with the DG834. To test the forwarding rules the OP will need to
attempt a connection from an external IP address such as a neighbour/friend
or from work, not from within his own network.

Old July 21st 05, 12:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 20 Jul 2005 22:11, "Amy Sue" wrote:

My guess is that the OP is trying to loop back by connecting out from his
network and back in again via the external router address. AIUI this will
not work with the DG834. To test the forwarding rules the OP will need to
attempt a connection from an external IP address such as a neighbour/friend
or from work, not from within his own network.

Indeed. It is usually quite difficult to test such things without some other
party to assist. I've used shell accounts on remote servers to test some of
these things, and of course the (sometimes disliked!) Shields Up! at grc.com
can be used to check the ports are open at the router, that the firewall has
seen some incoming traffic (if you disable access on a port by port basis),
but then some other application might be needed... Having two phone lines
(and two ISP accounts) to allow such tests isn't very common, so another
way might be to have a friend allow VNC access so person at 'A' can use
a PC at 'B' to make attempts to access features at 'A' that one wants
generally available...

Getting VNC to work is quite easy, and once that is going, there's a good
chance to go to ( test / amend settings) mode until the settings are working
reliably (probably best not done from work, and not after pub closing time:-)

Old July 21st 05, 11:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony

"Amy Sue" wrote in message
[...]

Could use a proxy server, that what I do if I need to test things on my own.
http://www.checkproxy.com
I'm really pleased with my DG834G, one of the best bits of kit I have here.
Rock solid and not a bit of trouble.