DG834

Old July 21st 05, 07:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PJB

Default DG834

Bought one of these recently, to replace an aging EN5861. No problem setting
up the connection, but port forwarding is being a trifle troublesome ;-)
In point of fact, I cannot get this feature to function at all.
I've got other Netgear routers, so I'm not unfamiliar with their products,
but this one has got me stymied.
I've set the relevant inbound ports, for VNC, SMTP, FTP and the like, but
GRC.com insists my router is tighter than a ducks arse ! Nothing can get
through, even with the ports set to ALLOW ALWAYS. It's running the latest
official firmware (came from Ebuyer with 1.05 on it) but
no luck so far. Has anyone got any tips to share before I package it up and
return it?

P.

Old July 21st 05, 09:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

"PJB" wrote in message ...
Bought one of these recently, to replace an aging EN5861. No problem
setting
up the connection, but port forwarding is being a trifle troublesome ;-)
In point of fact, I cannot get this feature to function at all.
I've got other Netgear routers, so I'm not unfamiliar with their products,
but this one has got me stymied.
I've set the relevant inbound ports, for VNC, SMTP, FTP and the like, but
GRC.com insists my router is tighter than a ducks arse ! Nothing can get
through, even with the ports set to ALLOW ALWAYS. It's running the latest
official firmware (came from Ebuyer with 1.05 on it) but
no luck so far. Has anyone got any tips to share before I package it up
and
return it?

P.

Mines running 1.05.00 and works fine. GRC says mines is tight as a ducks
arse too, but all the ports which I open for services allow services to
work. Are you just going with GRC and nothing else?

Old July 21st 05, 09:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony

"PJB" wrote in message ...
Bought one of these recently, to replace an aging EN5861. No problem

setting
up the connection, but port forwarding is being a trifle troublesome ;-)
In point of fact, I cannot get this feature to function at all.
I've got other Netgear routers, so I'm not unfamiliar with their products,
but this one has got me stymied.
I've set the relevant inbound ports, for VNC, SMTP, FTP and the like, but
GRC.com insists my router is tighter than a ducks arse ! Nothing can get
through, even with the ports set to ALLOW ALWAYS. It's running the latest
official firmware (came from Ebuyer with 1.05 on it) but
no luck so far. Has anyone got any tips to share before I package it up

and
return it?

P.

Having set up these services, are you finding that people cannot connect in
to you on those ports? I ask because I have run a DG834 for a couple of
years and GRC reports that mine is tight, even though I have many ports open
and 'WORKING' Not sure why that is, and I'm sure someone will tell us, but
the DG834G works very well, and is very stable here. I wouldn't be so keen
to send it back... Tony

Old July 21st 05, 03:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Pleasants

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 09:53:07 +0100, "Tony"
wrote:

Having set up these services, are you finding that people cannot connect in
to you on those ports? I ask because I have run a DG834 for a couple of
years and GRC reports that mine is tight, even though I have many ports open
and 'WORKING' Not sure why that is, and I'm sure someone will tell us, but
the DG834G works very well, and is very stable here. I wouldn't be so keen
to send it back... Tony

Likewise, I have no issues with my DG834G correctly forwarding ports.
Occasionally the server becomes uncooperative but that's nothing to do
with the router!
Old July 21st 05, 06:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PJB

"John" wrote in message

"PJB" wrote in message

[...]

No, GRC was just a check, I can't FTP into the beast, nor VNC into either,
it's puzzling.
I might go back to 1.05, more tests to do yet, I've only tried from the
cable dsl side of my homelan, I'll try from my work lan tomorrow..

P.

Old July 21st 05, 06:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PJB

"Tony" wrote in message

Having set up these services, are you finding that people cannot connect

in
to you on those ports? I ask because I have run a DG834 for a couple of
years and GRC reports that mine is tight, even though I have many ports

open
and 'WORKING' Not sure why that is, and I'm sure someone will tell us, but
the DG834G works very well, and is very stable here. I wouldn't be so

keen
to send it back... Tony

as per my reply to John, it's me that can't connect, from the cable dsl side
of my lan, either with ftp or vnc, but I'm gonna try it from work tomorrow.
Don't wanna send it back, I'm a bit of a fan of Netgear stuff, got two other
routers from them, that have worked flawlessly.

P.

Old July 21st 05, 08:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
wooosh

Having set up these services, are you finding that people cannot connect
in
to you on those ports? I ask because I have run a DG834 for a couple of
years and GRC reports that mine is tight, even though I have many ports
open
and 'WORKING' Not sure why that is, and I'm sure someone will tell us, but
the DG834G works very well, and is very stable here. I wouldn't be so
keen
to send it back... Tony

GRC gives a false report due to Port Scan and DOS protection on the DG834.
All incoming ports close on detection of a scan or attack. It treats the
GRC scan this way.

Old July 21st 05, 11:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PJB

"wooosh" wrote in message

Having set up these services, are you finding that people cannot connect
in
to you on those ports? I ask because I have run a DG834 for a couple of
years and GRC reports that mine is tight, even though I have many ports
open
and 'WORKING' Not sure why that is, and I'm sure someone will tell us,

but
the DG834G works very well, and is very stable here. I wouldn't be so
keen
to send it back... Tony

GRC gives a false report due to Port Scan and DOS protection on the DG834.
All incoming ports close on detection of a scan or attack. It treats the
GRC scan this way.

That explains the stealthed ports showing on GRC, thanks for that, didn't
know. My other netgear routers show the relevant ports as Open, which I
expected..

P.

Old July 22nd 05, 06:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PJB

"Anthony R. Gold" wrote in message
On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 18:52:58 +0100, "PJB" wrote:

I might go back to 1.05, more tests to do yet, I've only tried from the
cable dsl side of my homelan, I'll try from my work lan tomorrow..

How can you get into the DSL side? You're not trying to connect an
ethernet cable to the phone socket?

hardly ;-) No, I actually have two broadband connections, one via NTL Cable,
t'other via Bulldog ADSL.

Yes, you have to try from the WAN side of the DG834 and not from the LAN
side.

Try from work or ask someone here to test. Unfortunately your news
service does not disclose your IP address or I could have tried for SMTP
and FTP sockets. If you want me to do that, tell me the address or if you
have DNS (DynDNS?) tell me the host name.

I'll give it a whirl from work later, but thanks anyway.

P.

Old July 22nd 05, 05:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PJB

"Anthony R. Gold" wrote in message
On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 18:52:58 +0100, "PJB" wrote:

I might go back to 1.05, more tests to do yet, I've only tried from the
cable dsl side of my homelan, I'll try from my work lan tomorrow..

How can you get into the DSL side? You're not trying to connect an
ethernet cable to the phone socket?

Yes, you have to try from the WAN side of the DG834 and not from the LAN
side.

Try from work or ask someone here to test. Unfortunately your news
service does not disclose your IP address or I could have tried for SMTP
and FTP sockets. If you want me to do that, tell me the address or if you
have DNS (DynDNS?) tell me the host name.

couldn't get in from work either, downgraded the firmware to 1.05, still
can't get through, guess it's back to the EN5861 for now, it's very
frustrating.
The fact it's using a static IP wouldn't have any bearing on the matter,
would it?..NAT is still turned on.

P.