Wierd ADSL sync problem

Old July 21st 05, 04:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rog

Default Wierd ADSL sync problem

Hi,
Over the last few days I have had a strange problem with my ADSL
connection. A few months ago I replaced the faceplate for my BT master
socket with an ADSL filtered socket, this splits my line into an unfiltered
connection for my ADSL modem and then all my telephone sockets are pre
filtered at the master so that I dont need a microfilter in every socket.
This setup has been working fine for a number of weeks now.
The problem I have is that now when I answer an incoming phone call, I will
lose sync on my modem until the call is finished and also when I first
switch on my PC, the modem will not sync until I pick up a phone for a few
seconds and then place it back down, during this time I can actually hear
(very faintly) the ADSl connection taking place. I am also experiencing
random losses of sync which won't reconnect about 50% of the time unless I
lift a phone handset.
I have tried adding filters to all the phone sockets that are in use,
thinking that the filter in the master socket has failed but this makes no
difference, I have also unplugged everything else in the house that is
connected to the phone line and the problem still persists.
Any ideas?
Rog.
Old July 21st 05, 05:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 16:34:14 +0100, Rog wrote:

Any ideas?

you have a line fault, a high resistance disconnect is indicated by
the need to pick up the phone to get it to sync.

Phil

Old July 21st 05, 05:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George

"Rog" wrote in message
[...]

Sounds like a wiring issue. Give this a try to narrow down where the
problem is:-

Disconnect all sockets, with the exception of the master phone socket.
To the master socket, have only your modem and one telephone connected.
If the problem still exists, disconnect the extension sockets from the
face plate. If it works now, add one extension at a time, until the
problem comes back. If this doesn't resolve the issue, then remove the
face-plate. You should see a BT socket underneath it. Connect a filter
directly to it, then 1 phone and a modem to the filter. If this doesn't
resolve the issue, there is probably a BT fault. If it does, there may
be a problem with the face-plate. Also, make sure that any extensions
are connected to face-plate and not behind the master socket or anywhere
else. If possible, try the socket with different cables and modems.
Lastly, make sure you do not exceed the REN of the line (usually 4) -
Remember to include your DSL modem when adding up the REN

George

Old July 21st 05, 06:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 17:39:07 +0100, "George"
wrote:

Remember to include your DSL modem when adding up the REN

why ? does it have a ringer ? why does my line with 6 phones and a
router not show any symptoms ?

Phil

Old July 21st 05, 11:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George

--

To be honest, I don't know why DSL modems have a REN - But I have one
here that has a REN printed on it. I assume it is there because it's

George