Broadband help

Old July 22nd 05, 03:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
KerplunKuK

Default Broadband help

I have broadband at my old address with no problems, but in my new address I
have a strange issue.
Let me explain my setup.

From the main BT socket I have an extension which goes into the office to a
PC and telephone. Also in the main BT socket is my sky telephone line.

Initially I put a filter direct into the office so that the line was split
into ADSL and phone and a filter between the BT socket and the sky box..
That was fine and my phone and ADSL worked, but the sky telephone connection
would not.. I then unplugged the sky filter and sky worked so did the phone
but not the broadband.

How should I do it so all will work together? The reason the main BT socket
has an extension to a new plate in the office is that the main socket was
located under the stairs for some reason.

To see a simple diagram of the layout go to
http://www.imagehosting.us/index.php...w&ident=474469

Thanks
--
XBL : D0C RAY

We'll be Gunning for you

Old July 22nd 05, 10:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 02:28:16 +0100, "KerplunKuK"
[dot]uk wrote:

Initially I put a filter direct into the office so that the line was split
into ADSL and phone and a filter between the BT socket and the sky box..
That was fine and my phone and ADSL worked, but the sky telephone connection
would not.. I then unplugged the sky filter and sky worked so did the phone
but not the broadband.

wired as per your diagram it should work. Sky boxes are notoriously
bad at killing ADSL service as you found when it wasn't filtered.

You may have a wiring error or a bad microfilter that stopped the Sky
box working. You can get a premium filter with a money back guarantee
http://www.adslnation.com/products/xf-1e.php which maybe worth a go.

http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wi...telephone.html
may also help you check the wiring etc.

You could try changing the filters around to see if that makes a
difference. Beware of extensions made up from RJ11 cables and adapters
- was there a difference in the cables used in the different
situations ?

Phil

Old July 22nd 05, 10:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

[dot]uk wrote:

Initially I put a filter direct into the office so that the line was
split into ADSL and phone and a filter between the BT socket and the
sky box.. That was fine and my phone and ADSL worked, but the sky
telephone connection would not.. I then unplugged the sky filter
and sky worked so did the phone but not the broadband.

wired as per your diagram it should work. Sky boxes are notoriously
bad at killing ADSL service as you found when it wasn't filtered.

Sky boxes can also have problems working through any type of filtering as I
found out when I fitted plugin RFI filters on both my Sky boxes, only to get
the threatening letter telling me one of the boxes was not plugged in, even
though it was. Unplugged the filter everything works, used another filter
it wasn't etc.....

Old July 22nd 05, 02:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 09:39:53 +0100, "kraftee" [email protected]&die
wrote:

Sky boxes can also have problems working through any type of filtering

bring back the green dot scheme :-)

Phil

Old July 22nd 05, 02:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

wrote:

Sky boxes can also have problems working through any type of
filtering

bring back the green dot scheme :-)

Well at least there was a set standard, nowadays anything with a plug on it
get's stuck in...

Old July 22nd 05, 03:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chip

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 09:39:53 +0100,it is alleged that "kraftee"
[email protected]&die spake thusly in uk.telecom.broadband:

[dot]uk wrote:

Initially I put a filter direct into the office so that the line was
split into ADSL and phone and a filter between the BT socket and the
sky box.. That was fine and my phone and ADSL worked, but the sky
telephone connection would not.. I then unplugged the sky filter
and sky worked so did the phone but not the broadband.

wired as per your diagram it should work. Sky boxes are notoriously
bad at killing ADSL service as you found when it wasn't filtered.

Sky boxes can also have problems working through any type of filtering as I
found out when I fitted plugin RFI filters on both my Sky boxes, only to get
the threatening letter telling me one of the boxes was not plugged in, even
though it was. Unplugged the filter everything works, used another filter
it wasn't etc.....

IIRC when you first sign up, the contract merely states 'must be
plugged into a line capable of making outgoing calls'.

I had massive arguments with them about this in 1999, I plugged it
into an extension on a BT renown system, and for some reason it
couldn't figure out how to make an earth loop recall pulse to sieze
the exchange line g. Their loss, not mine :-)

--
The follies which a man regrets most in his life are those
which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity.
Old July 22nd 05, 04:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

[dot]uk wrote:

[...]

With Sky multi room both/all boxes are required to be permanently plugged
into the same POTS. Sky do actively check this & are very quick to catch
onto one being unplugged (as I've found out first of all it was because I
had CLI barred & the fitters hadn't even bothered to check, second because
one box didn't like being plugged into an RFI filter & the third was when
one of the grandkids unplugged one, don't ask I don't know either).

If you don't there is punitive action they take as you can't prove that they
are both at the same abode unless they are...

Old July 22nd 05, 05:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chip

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 15:32:41 +0100,it is alleged that "kraftee"
[email protected]&die spake thusly in uk.telecom.broadband:

[snip]

With Sky multi room both/all boxes are required to be permanently plugged
into the same POTS. Sky do actively check this & are very quick to catch
onto one being unplugged (as I've found out first of all it was because I
had CLI barred & the fitters hadn't even bothered to check, second because
one box didn't like being plugged into an RFI filter & the third was when
one of the grandkids unplugged one, don't ask I don't know either).

If you don't there is punitive action they take as you can't prove that they
are both at the same abode unless they are...

Ahh yes I can see that a multi-room setup would be prone to fraud.

(Although there's nothing preventing a neighbour having an extension
from your phoneline, if you trust them and disregard the law that says
you can't do this).

This was in 1999 before they offered that I believe, it was just 'all
about the cheap digibox subsidy'. We came to an amicable settlement in
the end involving it being connected to the exchange line directly
after they informed me it usually made calls at 3 am or so.