Wireless Internet Network and AOL UK...

Old July 22nd 05, 03:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Wireless Internet Network and AOL UK...

I am currently a subscriber to the AOL
broadband platinum program and was wondering if anyone could tell me
what hardware I need to purchase to set up a wireless internet network.
I will only be using two computers in the house, one desktop and one
laptop which I hope to be able to move around the house and garden to
surf the net. The laptop already has a wireless internet card inside
but the desktop dosent. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Old July 22nd 05, 07:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gel

Look here
http://www.linksyssales.co.uk/linksy...namicIndex.asp

Old July 23rd 05, 11:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joker7

"Gel" wrote in message
oups.com...
: Look here
: http://www.linksyssales.co.uk/linksy...namicIndex.asp
:
All seam's a bit expensive to me !

Chris

Old July 23rd 05, 12:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Joker7 wrote:
"Gel" wrote in message
oups.com...
Look here
http://www.linksyssales.co.uk/linksy...namicIndex.asp

All seam's a bit expensive to me !

Chris

Well you, under normal circumstances, get what you pay for.

You could try looking on ebay & see what the prices are like on there. Got
my Draytek 2600(forget the letter) for less than 100 & they are normally
nearer the 200. It was shrink wrapped so I suspect it hadn't been used
(you never can be %100) & it's working fine...

Old July 23rd 05, 08:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am currently a subscriber to the AOL
broadband platinum program and was wondering if anyone could tell me
what hardware I need to purchase to set up a wireless internet
network.
I will only be using two computers in the house, one desktop and one
laptop which I hope to be able to move around the house and garden to
surf the net. The laptop already has a wireless internet card inside
but the desktop dosent. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I would only buy an AOL supported wireless router. The reason for this
is that AOL will not give ANY support at all using unsupported
equipment. Even if there is a suspected line fault, they will only run
their test with supported equipment connected. Even on matters like
email or content, they will not give you any help whatsoever. The
current supported models a-

Netgear DG834G (Not the newer DG834GT!!!)
Speedtouch 580 and 570

From AOL, go to Keyword: Home Networking and you will find all the
information you need.

George

Old July 23rd 05, 09:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Thanks for the information, unfortunately I dont have access
to AOL as I am helping a friend who is setting up his network on AOL.
Based on what I have read I was going to purchase the DG834G (thanks
for the tip about the DG834GT!) and the netgear USB wireless adapter
WG111T (does AOL specify what USB/PCI wireless adapter hardware you
should get?). Assuming all of the above is ok the only other problem is
that the computer I will be installing the USB wireless adapter on only
has USB 1.1, according to the netgear website the USB wireless adapter
they produce is USB 2.0 - does anyone know if it would be compatible
on USB 1.1?.

many thanks for the help,

Old July 23rd 05, 10:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George

Thanks for the information, unfortunately I dont have access
to AOL as I am helping a friend who is setting up his network on AOL.
Based on what I have read I was going to purchase the DG834G (thanks
for the tip about the DG834GT!) and the netgear USB wireless adapter
WG111T (does AOL specify what USB/PCI wireless adapter hardware you
should get?). Assuming all of the above is ok the only other problem
is
that the computer I will be installing the USB wireless adapter on
only
has USB 1.1, according to the netgear website the USB wireless adapter
they produce is USB 2.0 - does anyone know if it would be compatible
on USB 1.1?.

many thanks for the help,

AOL do only support certain adapters, but, if you need to troubleshoot
with AOL, and are using an unsupported adapter, you can connect an
ethernet cable. If you use a supported adapter, they will guide you
through every mouse click to set it up if you need it. . I've included a
list of supported adapters below (note that there are no PCI models)

Netgear WG511 54Mbps (PCMCIA)
Netgear WG111 54Mbps (USB)
Thomson SpeedTouch 110g (PCMCIA)
Thomson SpeedTouch 120g (USB)