Virgin Broadband

Old July 23rd 05, 12:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Piers James

Default Virgin Broadband

Had an email today telling me that as a Plan One customer I am getting a
free speed upgrade from 1meg to 2 meg. Yeh :-) Gone from 512 to 2meg in
about 3 months with no cost increase. I guess that means the 24.99 a month
I pay is rather better value than it was in April!!! Although I suspect it
is still not the cheapest, I don't have a minimum contract and it is
unlimited (well 20gig per month - I view that as unlimited)

Old July 23rd 05, 12:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Piers James wrote:
Had an email today telling me that as a Plan One customer I am
getting a free speed upgrade from 1meg to 2 meg. Yeh :-) Gone from
512 to 2meg in about 3 months with no cost increase. I guess that
means the 24.99 a month I pay is rather better value than it was in
April!!! Although I suspect it is still not the cheapest, I don't
have a minimum contract and it is unlimited (well 20gig per month - I
view that as unlimited)

I'm afraid many wouldn't class it as unlimitted, 30gig was the figure muted
around Plusnet a while ago before it all went quiet & they are charging
21.99 but do have a minimum contract period. You would have problems
migrating anyway as AFAIR you're on data stream whilst PN is ip stream....

Old July 23rd 05, 02:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

kraftee wrote:
Piers James wrote:

Had an email today telling me that as a Plan One customer I am
getting a free speed upgrade from 1meg to 2 meg. Yeh :-) Gone from
512 to 2meg in about 3 months with no cost increase. I guess that
means the 24.99 a month I pay is rather better value than it was in
April!!! Although I suspect it is still not the cheapest, I don't
have a minimum contract and it is unlimited (well 20gig per month - I
view that as unlimited)

I'm afraid many wouldn't class it as unlimitted, 30gig was the figure muted
around Plusnet a while ago before it all went quiet & they are charging
21.99 but do have a minimum contract period. You would have problems
migrating anyway as AFAIR you're on data stream whilst PN is ip stream....

Hi there,

This wouldn't be a problem as we now support DataStream to IPStream
migrations. Should a customer migrate to us, they can choose a monthly
contract so only 30 days notice is required should they choose to
migrate out again.

Whilst we do not advertise any download limits, I can safely say that we
wouldn't deem 30GB as unacceptable.

Kind Regards,

Old July 23rd 05, 02:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Piers James

not bothered about migrating ayway at the moment. I know virgin is not the
cheapest, but at least they are improving the service for the same cost,
albeit as a reuslt of BT supplying the ISPs with bigger pipes for the same
price.

Old July 23rd 05, 03:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Plusnet Support Team wrote:
kraftee wrote:
Piers James wrote:

[...]

Oh good, now all that's got to happen is that the ISP's offering only data
stream (we won't mention any names will we ) to start to giving end users
their MAC numbers.

Old July 23rd 05, 03:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Piers James wrote:
not bothered about migrating ayway at the moment. I know virgin is
not the cheapest, but at least they are improving the service for the
same cost, albeit as a reuslt of BT supplying the ISPs with bigger
pipes for the same price.

Only because they're not charging by size anymore they're charging by
quantity of data passed (ooer mrs, sounds like a never mind the quality
feel the width scenario). This is where the 'free' upgrades, which the
majority of ISP's are doing, comes into play. It's good publicity (well it
was at first but now it's a keeping up with the competition) & because it's
being done in bulk it's cheaper..

I do hope that you are happy with Virgin but after my few years of dire
service with their parent company I personally wouldn't bank on it, but it
will depend on what you're after & if 30gig sounds like unlimited then I
doubt if you will be classed as a heavy user & may well be laid back about
any problems you do have...

Old July 23rd 05, 04:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Phil Thompson wrote:
On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 15:40:07 +0100, "kraftee" [email protected]&die
wrote:

Only because they're not charging by size anymore they're charging by
quantity of data passed

since when did BT start charging by data volume passed ? AFAIK all the
pricing is still based on Mbits/s rates.

Phil

Changed a few months ago, it could be as far back as the begining of the
year. It was just before all the 'free' upgrades started to happen (& some
of the ISP's started to put caps on their supposedly unlimited accounts)...

Old July 23rd 05, 05:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Piers James

I've only had to call Virgin's suppr line once, and that was ages ago when I
first signed up, and they were very helpful. I'm fairly computer savvy, so I
guess I solve a lot of my own problems without really thinking about it. I'm
probably not a heavy user by comparison to some. I don't download music,
since I prefer the sound of my CDs on my rather expensive hi-fi in my lounge
rather than compressed MP3s on my tinny PC speakers!!!

SNIP

Old July 23rd 05, 05:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jasmine

I do hope that you are happy with Virgin but after my few years of dire
service with their parent company I personally wouldn't bank on it, but it
will depend on what you're after & if 30gig sounds like unlimited then I
doubt if you will be classed as a heavy user & may well be laid back about
any problems you do have...

Parent company? I didn't think RB sold anything to anybody else.