How many extensions off one filter?

Old July 23rd 05, 04:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Iain

Default How many extensions off one filter?

Quick question, is there a limit on how many extensions I can hang off one
filter?

All my internal house wiring was done by me and plugs into the BT master
socket via an approved extension kit which is just a small adaptor that
plugs in and provides two sockets locally and a cable coming out the bottom
going to various extension sockets throughout the house.

Can I just plug one microfilter into the master socket, plug my little
adaptor into that so all the house wiring is fed from the one filter, and my
new wireless router into the ADSL output? Seems to me this should be
effectively the same as the new faceplates everyone recommends.

Cant use one of these as the BT line is hardwired into the master socket, no
detachable faceplate. (NTE2??)

Impatiently waiting for connection....

Old July 23rd 05, 04:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rupert

"Iain" wrote in message

Quick question, is there a limit on how many extensions I can hang off one
filter?

Not that I know of.

Can I just plug one microfilter into the master socket, plug my little
adaptor into that so all the house wiring is fed from the one filter, and

my
new wireless router into the ADSL output?

Should work fine, from my experience.

Old July 23rd 05, 04:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Iain wrote:
Quick question, is there a limit on how many extensions I can hang
off one filter?

All my internal house wiring was done by me and plugs into the BT
master socket via an approved extension kit which is just a small
adaptor that plugs in and provides two sockets locally and a cable
coming out the bottom going to various extension sockets throughout
the house.
Can I just plug one microfilter into the master socket, plug my little
adaptor into that so all the house wiring is fed from the one filter,
and my new wireless router into the ADSL output? Seems to me this
should be effectively the same as the new faceplates everyone
recommends.
Cant use one of these as the BT line is hardwired into the master
socket, no detachable faceplate. (NTE2??)

Impatiently waiting for connection....

Clarification required..... 'and a cable coming out the bottom going to
various extension sockets throughout
the house.'

If it wasn't for that comment I would say probably yes, but you will require
a filter on all those 'various extension sockets throughout
the house' which may be in use. If they are not used it would be better to
completely remove them from the layout as extension wiring does have the
capacity of picking up any stray RF which will be inserted into your ADSL
signal possibly causing SNR problems

Old July 23rd 05, 07:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Iain

"kraftee" [email protected]&die wrote in message
Clarification required..... 'and a cable coming out the bottom going to
various extension sockets throughout
the house.'

Sorry, wasnt clear, the cable comes out of the bottom of the adaptor, not
the master ssocket.
So all extensions should now be fitered, and not need individual
microfilters, I think, as the adaptor is plugged into the filter.

If it wasn't for that comment I would say probably yes, but you will
require a filter on all those 'various extension sockets throughout
the house' which may be in use. If they are not used it would be better
to completely remove them from the layout as extension wiring does have
the capacity of picking up any stray RF which will be inserted into your
ADSL signal possibly causing SNR problems

Hmm, all rooms have one or two sockets in them, about six total with 3
sockets used, I think. Removing unused ones would be quite a chore,
they're run under the floor.... I'll keep my fingers crossed I dont get
problems.

Old July 23rd 05, 07:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Underwood

"Iain" wrote in message

"kraftee" [email protected]&die wrote in message
If it wasn't for that comment I would say probably yes, but you will
require a filter on all those 'various extension sockets throughout
the house' which may be in use. If they are not used it would be better
to completely remove them from the layout as extension wiring does have
the capacity of picking up any stray RF which will be inserted into your
ADSL signal possibly causing SNR problems

Hmm, all rooms have one or two sockets in them, about six total with 3
sockets used, I think. Removing unused ones would be quite a chore,
they're run under the floor.... I'll keep my fingers crossed I dont get
problems.

Surely if all the phone wiring is on the filtered side of the microfilter,
no RF can be injected back into the BT line or the router because the filter
is blocking it getting through - either BT-telephone or telephone-BT.

Old July 23rd 05, 07:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Martin Underwood wrote:
"Iain" wrote in message

[...]

That's why I asked for clarification, as on first (& second) reading it
sounded as if some extensions where hard wired into the 2/1a whilst the rest
where run via the plig in adaptor.

If as the OP has clarified everything is running from a plugin adaptor then
as long as they use a good quality filter everything should be ok (poor
quality filters could allow the RF problem to rear it's ugly head)...

Old July 23rd 05, 08:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 16:20:25 +0100, "Iain"
wrote:

Quick question, is there a limit on how many extensions I can hang off one
filter?

if you're going for a single filter make sure its a good one, the size
of the ring capacitor varies and a cheapo filter may struggle with the
ringing of a lot of phones.

Phil

Old July 23rd 05, 10:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chip

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 20:20:36 +0100,it is alleged that Phil Thompson
spake thusly in uk.telecom.broadband:

wrote:

Quick question, is there a limit on how many extensions I can hang off one
filter?

if you're going for a single filter make sure its a good one, the size
of the ring capacitor varies and a cheapo filter may struggle with the
ringing of a lot of phones.

Phil

I was thinking that too, changing one of the secondary sockets to a
master or pbx master would solve this too (that's what I ended up
doing, I only connected 2-5 out of the filter and then put a master in
place of the first extension socket)

--
This .signature has been hijacked by the Shellfish Liberation Army.
Please remain clam.
Old July 24th 05, 08:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gel

You can even get the bell capacitor to convert a secondary socket to a
master one, if you want to be lazy!
Available at www.solwise.co.uk and web site /staff have much useful
info, besides filters/BT type Master sockets for those of us who don't
have.