detect ISP from IP address

Old July 24th 05, 11:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick Hayworth

Default detect ISP from IP address

is there a way to detect which ISP my site visitors use from their IP
address? I'd like to put something like 'Welcome Virgin.net customers'. I
know I can query the RIPE database but that gives the name of the company
the IP block is assigned to, I'd like the name of the ISP.

any suggestions?

thanks
nick

Old July 24th 05, 12:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Lyons

is there a way to detect which ISP my site visitors use from their IP
address? I'd like to put something like 'Welcome Virgin.net customers'. I
know I can query the RIPE database but that gives the name of the company
the IP block is assigned to, I'd like the name of the ISP.

I don't think you could narrow it down any further than using the ripe db.

--
Regards

John Lyons
Netserve Consultants Ltd

Ask us about our online Antivirus and Junk mail scanning service
http://www.domaincity.co.uk +-+-+-+

Old July 24th 05, 04:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sebastian Kinnaird

Nick Hayworth wrote:
is there a way to detect which ISP my site visitors use from their IP
address? I'd like to put something like 'Welcome Virgin.net
customers'. I know I can query the RIPE database but that gives the
name of the company the IP block is assigned to, I'd like the name of
the ISP.

If you query the RIPE database you can get the nic-hdl for a specific IP,
and from there you get the ISP details. Only issue with this is that in
certain situations it will return the primary ISP, so in the case of
Virgin.net it would report back as NTL. You'd have to get details from NTL
to see which specific blocks they allocate to any (virtual) ISPs they
own/manage.

Seb
--
Sebastian Kinnaird

Old January 3rd 15, 03:44 PM
hurryburry hurryburry is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hayworth View Post
is there a way to detect which ISP my site visitors use from their IP address? I'd like to put something like 'Welcome Virgin.net customers'. I know I can query the RIPE database but that gives the name of the company the IP block is assigned to, I'd like the name of the ISP. any suggestions? thanks nick
Ya sure you can easily detect the ISP provider of any particular user from their network ip address ..This can be identified using sites like Ip-Details.com they are rendering ip search tool which will help you trace the location of any ip address .They will display details like ISP address ,ISP name ,ip location and so on ...I hope these information's will be helpful to you ..