Why is the upload capacity slow ?

Old July 24th 05, 02:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Why is the upload capacity slow ?

I don't understand why most ADSL packages offer the same UPLOAD speed,
and varying DOWNLOAD speeds. Is there some sort of technical contraint
that explains the fact 256k download is the norm ?

Cheers

--
Darren
Old July 24th 05, 02:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Underwood

wrote in message
I don't understand why most ADSL packages offer the same UPLOAD speed,
and varying DOWNLOAD speeds. Is there some sort of technical contraint
that explains the fact 256k download is the norm ?

This is a question that's been puzzling me as well. You'd expect that upload
speed would increase in the same proportion as the download speed:

512K Down / 256K Up
1M D / 512K U
2M D / 1M U

Evidently each doubling of the download speed doesn't involve allocating
exactly twice as much bandwidth[*] to the ADSL signal, partitioned as 66%
down and 33% up.
[*] In the true electronic engineering sense of the word "bandwidth" - ie
not the broadband meaning of "total quantity of data downloaded in a given
time".

Old July 24th 05, 03:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chip

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 13:45:02 +0100,it is alleged that "Martin
Underwood" spake thusly in uk.telecom.broadband:

wrote in message
I don't understand why most ADSL packages offer the same UPLOAD speed,
and varying DOWNLOAD speeds. Is there some sort of technical contraint
that explains the fact 256k download is the norm ?

This is a question that's been puzzling me as well. You'd expect that upload
speed would increase in the same proportion as the download speed:

512K Down / 256K Up
1M D / 512K U
2M D / 1M U

Evidently each doubling of the download speed doesn't involve allocating
exactly twice as much bandwidth[*] to the ADSL signal, partitioned as 66%
down and 33% up.

[*] In the true electronic engineering sense of the word "bandwidth" - ie
not the broadband meaning of "total quantity of data downloaded in a given
time".

Cynicism mode: On
Because they want you to pay through the nose for expensive SDSL or
equivalent business service to get high upload speeds.

--
This .signature has been hijacked by the Shellfish Liberation Army.
Please remain clam.
Old July 24th 05, 04:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dr Teeth

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 14:15:10 +0000 (UTC),
lid wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised ! How can you tell if your exchange is SDSL
capable ? (Or whatever the correct terminology is)

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/

--
Cheers,

Guy

Old July 24th 05, 04:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davew

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php
Old July 24th 05, 07:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter R Cook

In message , Martin
Underwood writes
wrote in message
I don't understand why most ADSL packages offer the same UPLOAD speed,
and varying DOWNLOAD speeds. Is there some sort of technical contraint
that explains the fact 256k download is the norm ?

This is a question that's been puzzling me as well. You'd expect that upload
speed would increase in the same proportion as the download speed:

512K Down / 256K Up
1M D / 512K U
2M D / 1M U

Evidently each doubling of the download speed doesn't involve allocating
exactly twice as much bandwidth[*] to the ADSL signal, partitioned as 66%
down and 33% up.

[*] In the true electronic engineering sense of the word "bandwidth" - ie
not the broadband meaning of "total quantity of data downloaded in a given
time".

Simple really. The pair of wires linking you to the exchange carries
signals in both directions. The available frequency spectrum is (in
general terms) split into three chunks
Low 4Khz used for Voice
Med roughly 60-600Khz Upstream
600 - The limit of your line Downstream

As the frequency limit of your line increases all the additional
frequency spectrum is all allocated to the Downstream segment.

For excruciating detail beyond this Google ADSL Frequency spectrum
--
Peter R Cook
Old July 24th 05, 10:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
stephen

wrote in message
I don't understand why most ADSL packages offer the same UPLOAD speed,
and varying DOWNLOAD speeds. Is there some sort of technical contraint
that explains the fact 256k download is the norm ?

this seems to be based on the ADSL "standard" in use.

If / when 8M ADSL (based on ADSL 2+) gets rolled out, the upstream best case
is 832 Kb/s

Cheers

--
Darren