My exchange is getting enabled on wednesday!

Old July 24th 05, 06:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Des

Default My exchange is getting enabled on wednesday!

BT have been laying lots of new copper over the last week or so in the
Village
My question is, after the exchange is enabled how long does it take to get
my (or any) ISP to set up the broadband service,
I am at present with NTL for telephone services as well and wonder if its
worth staying or looking around. The advantage of staying is all email
addresses stay the same! I still have accounts I cant access after my last
change of email address!!!

I quite like the complete package for phone and internet access, though I
still have BT for the link to the exchange.

Also what PAYG dial up service can people advise for those times when
broadband goes tits up....

Des

Old July 24th 05, 06:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Krystian Craig

It took my service provider 10 days to get the exchange enabled for me but
they did say 10 -15 days to start of with and of course depending on which
service provider you go with. Each may have different time scales to work
to.

Krystian

Old July 24th 05, 07:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Des wrote:
BT have been laying lots of new copper over the last week or so in the
Village

Just because BT is putting new copper in the ground doesn't mean that the
exchange is being upgraded, for that they would need (above all) a fibre
link, but you may in possesion of other information which is telling you
that your exchange is being enabled at a certain date..

My question is, after the exchange is enabled how long does it take
to get my (or any) ISP to set up the broadband service,

Normally it's only a matter of days after the exchange goes live, it would
depend heavily on how fast the ISP you chose push the order thru after it
has gone over...

I am at present with NTL for telephone services as well and wonder if
its worth staying or looking around. The advantage of staying is all
email addresses stay the same! I still have accounts I cant access
after my last change of email address!!!

Tell me about it, I made a list before I left NT(hel)L, yes it was that bad
honest (a story for another time). I left last September & I'm still
running into accounts/ sites which are still holding my old details mind you
I'm not getting half the spam I was getting

I quite like the complete package for phone and internet access,
though I still have BT for the link to the exchange.

Also what PAYG dial up service can people advise for those times when
broadband goes tits up....

In the time since I went active last september I have only had one outage,
lasting 5 hours, which was in the late/early hours so didn't really affect
me. DSL if set up properly both on your property & the BT network should be
that good but if the DSL service did go down the chances are you wouln't be
able to use a dial up anyway (many cases have the DSL working although the
telephone line is dead as well). PlusNet offer a 0845 dial up included with
some of their DSL services so you may want to give them a look see......

Old July 24th 05, 07:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

:
BT have been laying lots of new copper over the last week or so in the
Village

Just because BT is putting new copper in the ground doesn't mean that the
exchange is being upgraded, for that they would need (above all) a fibre
link, but you may in possesion of other information which is telling you
that your exchange is being enabled at a certain date..

Or perhaps BT have got too much fibre (of the TPON variety) in the OP's
area, which might explain why he is excited about them laying new copper?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old July 24th 05, 10:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Des

"kraftee" [email protected]&die wrote in message
Des wrote:
BT have been laying lots of new copper over the last week or so in the
Village

Just because BT is putting new copper in the ground doesn't mean that the
exchange is being upgraded, for that they would need (above all) a fibre
link, but you may in possesion of other information which is telling you
that your exchange is being enabled at a certain date..

Sorry I should have just said cable! showing my age... I know that the
exchange is fibre-optic enabled as I had an aquaintence in BT when it was
upgraded in the early 90's and he told me the exchange was capable of film
transmission just BT wouldn't/couldn't set it up, something to do with
copyright?
The date for enabling claims to be 27th July and on checking there seem to
be no delays?

My question is, after the exchange is enabled how long does it take
to get my (or any) ISP to set up the broadband service,

Normally it's only a matter of days after the exchange goes live, it would
depend heavily on how fast the ISP you chose push the order thru after it
has gone over...

Thought so

I am at present with NTL for telephone services as well and wonder if
its worth staying or looking around. The advantage of staying is all
email addresses stay the same! I still have accounts I cant access
after my last change of email address!!!

Tell me about it, I made a list before I left NT(hel)L, yes it was that

bad
honest (a story for another time). I left last September & I'm still
running into accounts/ sites which are still holding my old details mind

you
I'm not getting half the spam I was getting

I would agree with spam , I enabled my sons name (gaelic spelling and
unusual) within seconds of being set up he was getting spammed big time

I quite like the complete package for phone and internet access,
though I still have BT for the link to the exchange.

Also what PAYG dial up service can people advise for those times when
broadband goes tits up....

In the time since I went active last september I have only had one outage,
lasting 5 hours, which was in the late/early hours so didn't really affect
me. DSL if set up properly both on your property & the BT network should

be
that good but if the DSL service did go down the chances are you wouln't

be
able to use a dial up anyway (many cases have the DSL working although the
telephone line is dead as well). PlusNet offer a 0845 dial up included

with
some of their DSL services so you may want to give them a look see......

OK thanks I may start looking at who appears to be the best deal for me,
tried NTL and the web application said no way go to Virgin? would like
something better than 512Mb (trades description to call that broadband) I
will have a look at Plusnet.

Des

Old July 25th 05, 05:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Blair

Des wrote:
[...]

Have you looked at Wanadoo (previously Freeserve)? They provide a free
Speedtouch modem and the service has been excellent
Blair

Old July 25th 05, 11:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paddy

""David G. Bell"" wrote in message
On Sunday, in article

"Des" wrote:

BT have been laying lots of new copper over the last week or so in the
Village
My question is, after the exchange is enabled how long does it take to
get
my (or any) ISP to set up the broadband service,

10 working days quoted in the initial letter of confirmation (which is
probably 2 weeks by the calendar).

The modem arrived 8 days later, and by then the line was active.

"I am Number Two," said Penfold. "You are Number Six."

I am in exactly the same position as Des but also have the problem of a
microwave link from the exchange to our island. BT of course cannot tell us
what the bandwidth is of the microwave link. The link serves 15 phones and
of those 3 are definite for broadband with 3 dithering. A phone call to NTL
to order the full package including all phone calls brought the response
that no order taken until the exchange is activated and then upto 4 weeks
for activating.
I have sorted the phone call side out as 18866 seem extremely cheap for
calls which just leaves the broadband side.
If I decide not to use NTL for broadband can I downgrade my subscription
with them from the freedom package to just p.a.y.g and retain my email
address's?
Do all ISP's charge for changing bandwidth packages as if the microwave link
is only a total of 2Mb it could be a waste of time ordering anything over
the 512Kb.
Looks like I might have to wait for the other two folk to get on and see
what happens. One is going with AOL and the other always uses BT.

Mick

Old July 25th 05, 02:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 25 Jul 2005 05:50, "Blair" wrote:

Have you looked at ...

Have you looked at http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post
When including text from a previous message in the thread, trim it
down to include only text pertinent to your response. Your
response should appear below the quoted information.

People who take a bit of time before adding their comments are far more
appreciated, and more likely to get answers when they post a query.