Router advice please

Old July 25th 05, 04:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Porky

Default Router advice please

I have a wired LAN in my house, I understand that I need a Router with
inbuilt ADSL Modem and that if I plug the router into my 10/100 hub/switch
that any pc on my LAN can access the Broadband connection.

Questions.

1. Can anyone recommend a decent router/modem to cope with the above

2. when I plug the Router into the hub, do I use a crossover cable or
standard RJ45 - RJ45 patch cable.

3. Does the Router plug into the hubs uplink port or just one of the
standard ports

thanks in advance

Old July 25th 05, 05:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Porky wrote:
I have a wired LAN in my house, I understand that I need a Router with
inbuilt ADSL Modem and that if I plug the router into my 10/100
hub/switch that any pc on my LAN can access the Broadband connection.

Questions.

1. Can anyone recommend a decent router/modem to cope with the above

How much do you want to spend?? The Netgear DG834 (G if you want to
wireless, the GT version has been reported to have problems) is a
reasonable, middle of the road item. Personally I use a Dratek 2600g with
very few (if any problems) but it is around double the price of the Netgear.
Which ever one you go for check to see if there is any firmware updates
(they don't release them for nothing). If you're feeling brave Ebay may be
a good place to look to get comparative prices & you never know you may just
get a bargain..

2. when I plug the Router into the hub, do I use a crossover cable or
standard RJ45 - RJ45 patch cable.

Wouldn't use a hub, use a switch, but having said that in a SOHO enviroment
you may not see the difference in speeds anyway.

3. Does the Router plug into the hubs uplink port or just one of the
standard ports

Now you've said that you've got a uplink port you've help answer point 2.
You don't require a cross over lead & yes you do connect the 2 using the
uplink port...

HTH

Old July 25th 05, 05:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 25 Jul 2005 16:51, "Porky" wrote:

1. Can anyone recommend a decent router/modem to cope with the above

A bit depends on your planned use. I've used a variety of cheap units
from Dabs and Ebuyer (cheap so I have no qualms lending them out when a
friend wants to check something and compare with one they already have)
but if you plan to use peer-to-peer or VoIP I'd suggest mentioning it.
The ones I've bought are generally 4-port and under 40 quid (down to a
1-port unit at 20 quid when Ebuyer had some at especially low cost)

2. when I plug the Router into the hub, do I use a crossover cable or
standard RJ45 - RJ45 patch cable.

Either should do - most of the routers are now auto-sensing to they'll
alter to make it work. No need to worry about which port on the hub.

Old July 25th 05, 05:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Porky

"poster" wrote in message
. net...
On 25 Jul 2005 16:51, "Porky" wrote:

1. Can anyone recommend a decent router/modem to cope with the above

A bit depends on your planned use. I've used a variety of cheap units
from Dabs and Ebuyer (cheap so I have no qualms lending them out when a
friend wants to check something and compare with one they already have)
but if you plan to use peer-to-peer or VoIP I'd suggest mentioning it.
The ones I've bought are generally 4-port and under 40 quid (down to a
1-port unit at 20 quid when Ebuyer had some at especially low cost)

2. when I plug the Router into the hub, do I use a crossover cable or
standard RJ45 - RJ45 patch cable.

Either should do - most of the routers are now auto-sensing to they'll
alter to make it work. No need to worry about which port on the hub.

Thanks for the response...Yes I do intend to use a Voip prog. does that make
a difference? Also I am not interested in a wireless router

Old July 25th 05, 09:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

Porky wrote:
I have a wired LAN in my house, I understand that I need a Router
with inbuilt ADSL Modem and that if I plug the router into my
10/100 hub/switch that any pc on my LAN can access the Broadband
connection.

Questions.

1. Can anyone recommend a decent router/modem to cope with the above

Not common as yet in the UK, but look at the Fritz!Box Fon from AVM
(www.avm.de/en)

It has a built in modem and router and two analogue phone ports, plus a
PSTN port that can connect to an analogue line or an ISDN connection.
There are wired and wireless versions.

2. when I plug the Router into the hub, do I use a crossover cable
or standard RJ45 - RJ45 patch cable.

With a straight through cable, use the uplink port. But use a switch, not
a hub.

3. Does the Router plug into the hubs uplink port or just one of the
standard ports

See above.

Ivor

Old July 26th 05, 01:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Porky:
Yes I do intend to use a Voip prog.

To get VoIP working at it's best you need a router with QoS (Quality of
Service) which can prioritise voice packets. There are several available:
Draytek Vigor 2500V, 2600V (two VoIP ports but no pass-through to std.
phoneline).
These are high quality and very reliable, but not cheap. I bought one on
Ebay, no problems.
Alternatively Zyxel 2602HW with two ports or HWL with landline pass-through,
again very good kit but not cheap.
Finally Zoom X5V, cheap and cheerful, one port only.
Regards,
Martin

Old July 26th 05, 02:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 25 Jul 2005 21:24, "Ivor Jones" wrote:

With a straight through cable, use the uplink port.
But use a switch, not a hub.

Why bother with a switch in preference to a hub ? Will you next tell
us that 100 Mbps is 'better' than 10 Mbps ? Peter M.
Old July 26th 05, 08:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Wireless Reader

Ivor Jones wrote:

2. when I plug the Router into the hub, do I use a crossover cable
or standard RJ45 - RJ45 patch cable.

With a straight through cable, use the uplink port. But use a switch, not
a hub.

Why not a switch with auto-sensing ports - then it doesn't matter about
the cable.
Old July 26th 05, 09:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

poster wrote:
On 25 Jul 2005 21:24, "Ivor Jones" wrote:

With a straight through cable, use the uplink port.
But use a switch, not a hub.

Why bother with a switch in preference to a hub ? Will you next tell
us that 100 Mbps is 'better' than 10 Mbps ? Peter M.

For the internet very little benefit, but for a LAN, if you are going to
file & printer share or even play games, then faster the speed the better,
remembering of course that everything will be 'choked' by the lowest common
denominator.