DSLAM capacity

Old July 25th 05, 05:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan

Default DSLAM capacity

My exchange was enabled for broadband last week and BT have still not given
my ISP an activation date as they say there is a capacity problem. The
exchange is quite small with only about 250 residential lines. I was under
the impression that a DSLAM could cover a small exchange like this with no
problem. Can anyone advise on this?

Thanks
Alan

Old July 25th 05, 05:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 25 Jul 2005 16:01 UTC, "Alan" wrote:

My exchange was enabled for broadband last week and BT have still not given
my ISP an activation date as they say there is a capacity problem.

What ISP ? Some ISPs use IPstream, some use DataStream. When they use
DataStream they have to arrange for that specially for each exchange and
therefore, depending on the ISP, you can find there will be a delay; when
it is in use, it might get greater contention (or some heavy user causes
your connection to always seem 'slow') There's an exchange status tool
on the www.samknows.com web site. Might give more info. Peter M.

Old July 25th 05, 07:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan

They use IPstream so that is not causing the delay. I have tried Sams site
but there is still no info on the DSLAM on my exchange.
Alan
. net...

Old July 25th 05, 07:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Alan wrote:
My exchange was enabled for broadband last week and BT have still not
given my ISP an activation date as they say there is a capacity
problem. The exchange is quite small with only about 250 residential
lines. I was under the impression that a DSLAM could cover a small
exchange like this with no problem. Can anyone advise on this?

Thanks
Alan

Minimum I've seen is 288 but that's not to say there may be some small
exchanges with less..

Old July 25th 05, 09:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
P H

"Alan" wrote in message
My exchange was enabled for broadband last week and BT have still not
given my ISP an activation date as they say there is a capacity problem.
The exchange is quite small with only about 250 residential lines. I was
under the impression that a DSLAM could cover a small exchange like this
with no problem. Can anyone advise on this?

Thanks
Alan

Most of the small DSLAM's fitted by BT are able to handle approx 400
customers (per shelf) when fully populated with line cards. It's posible
that only one or two cards have been placed into the DSLAM at installation
as each handles around 30 customers. You might be waiting for extra cards to
be added, which shouldn't take to long.

250 lines/customers - (of which 20% 2nd lines) = 200 x 25% (approx adsl take
up) = 50 planned ports. therefore only two cards required at installation
for average take up.

Phill.