How Can I Find Out?

Old July 26th 05, 09:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default How Can I Find Out?

We are putting an offer in on a property and have just realised that we will
need broadband (it would potentially be a deciding factor in the purchase if
we couldn't get it).

I ran the postcode through the BT checker and it said max 1MB and engineer
visit maybe needed.

So I used directory enquiries and ran random names through on the same
street to get a phone number (as I don't know the phone number of the
property). Got a number at number 144 (property is number 145 so it's
probably over the road).

That came back as 2MB max and no problems.

Is there any way I can find out better?

It's a block of flats, so others in the block will have phones, but how can
I find out their numbers without knowing their names?

Or is there anyway BT can check this (I don't want them to tell me the
numbers, just if the numbers already in the same building can get
broadband)?

Thanks

Old July 26th 05, 10:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joker7

:
[...]
Ask the vender the phone number for the property ? Let them know this will
be a factor in the buying of the property.

Chris

Old July 26th 05, 10:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

[...]

Property is currently empty and I am dealing with the estate agent who
doesn't know a great deal to be honest.

Old July 26th 05, 10:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike

"K" @. wrote in message
[...]

If you live nearby, try knocking some doors and explaining your situation to
your (potential) new neighbours. Ask if they have broadband - if so, what
speed.

Old July 26th 05, 10:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

OK, I have done the check online using the full address, which gives better
results than the post code only check.

How accurate is an address check compared with a phone number check?

Old July 26th 05, 10:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

[...]

I have been cunning. I used 192.com to find out people's names who live in
the block we are interested in and the one next door, and then used
directory enquiries to get a phone number.

No luck with the block we are interested in, but I got a number for someone
in the block next door (15 yards away) and it came back as a positive ADSL
check upto 2MB.

Does this sound good? I thought do.

Can't imagine the building next door (further from the exchange) getting it
and us not.

Old July 26th 05, 11:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 26 Jul 2005 09:53, "K" @. wrote:

It's a block of flats, so others in the block will have phones, but how can
I find out their numbers without knowing their names?

Ring some bells - don't you want to know who might be your new neighbours ?

You can mention the (main) reason for your interest - having an internet link
is important to you, and as well as saying a brief "Hello" you just wondered
if they are using ADSL, please... There, less effort than searching for a
bunch of nameless people for their phone numbers, and you see if there's a
possible future neighbour whose attitude in response to your enquiry makes
you re-think the plan to move there... For 'future neighbour' I nearly put
'nutter' but I believe that's not 'acceptable' any more :-) Peter M.

Old July 26th 05, 11:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joker7

"poster" wrote in message
. net...
: On 26 Jul 2005 09:53, "K" @. wrote:
:
: It's a block of flats, so others in the block will have phones, but how
can
: I find out their numbers without knowing their names?
:
: Ring some bells - don't you want to know who might be your new neighbours
?
:
: You can mention the (main) reason for your interest - having an internet
link
: is important to you, and as well as saying a brief "Hello" you just
wondered
: if they are using ADSL, please... There, less effort than searching for
: bunch of nameless people for their phone numbers, and you see if there's a
: possible future neighbour whose attitude in response to your enquiry makes
: you re-think the plan to move there... For 'future neighbour' I nearly
put
: 'nutter' but I believe that's not 'acceptable' any more :-) Peter M.
:
: --
:
: UK ADSL http://tinyurl.com/5jpa4 - Happy to save cash with Plus.Net!!

Almost as bad,sitting outside at all hours in the car just to get a feel of
the neighbour hood.Then when you do moving the neighbour think you are a
nutter,for sitting in your car at all hours.So I like the idea of knocking
on some door asking about broadband.

Chris

Old July 26th 05, 12:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cullen Skink

K wrote:
[...]

I'm heading into month 2 of trying to get broadband even though
neighbours on the same exchange and line and further away from the
exchange have had it working for months. The line checker said I should
be able to get up to 1MB but that an engineer might have to visit. Your
research is probably helpful but no guarantee.