Slow DSL with a USB Anypoint DSL Modem

Old July 26th 05, 02:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sean Rima

Default Slow DSL with a USB Anypoint DSL Modem

A lot of the time, my mothe rin law is only getting 8kb/s with a Intel
Anypoint 3240 DSL Modem. It is USB on a BT Business 576/288 package. Roughly
what speeds should she get with this and would changing the modem to a
modem/router be better as none of the other PCs currently use the BB
connection

See ya,
Sean

--
ICQ: 679813 FidoNet: 2:263/950
Jabber: AOL: tcobone
Old July 26th 05, 03:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Bailey

Sean Rima wrote:
A lot of the time, my mothe rin law is only getting 8kb/s with a Intel
Anypoint 3240 DSL Modem. It is USB on a BT Business 576/288 package. Roughly
what speeds should she get with this and would changing the modem to a
modem/router be better as none of the other PCs currently use the BB
connection

See ya,
Sean

Hi Sean,

To be honest, there are so many different things that could cause the
slowness of the connection. It could be down to software (commonly AV)
installed on her machine, her modem could be faulty, it could be a
cabling issue - plugging the modem directly into a filter into the
master socket would be an idea, along with changing the filter. Try
unplugging all other telephony devices in the house, ensuring all
sockets are filtered too. It could even be an exchange issue - you might
want to check out our exchange checker, and see if the VP status of the
exchange is poor:

http://www.metronet.co.uk/adsl/exchangeChecker

I'd definitely advocate trying the modem on a known working line rather
than potentially wasting money on a new one if it isn't the cause of the
fault.

--
Kind Regards,

James Bailey )
Metronet Support (http://support.metronet.co.uk)

--------

Tel: 087-0284-0284 (National Rate)
Tel: 020-7043-8202 (London)

--------
Old July 26th 05, 04:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sean Rima

On 2005-07-26, James Bailey wrote:
Sean Rima wrote:
[...]

I know that it is not AV or spyware as I have cleaned the machine, sadly I
cannot try it on my Linux box as I don't think the modem would work. I will
try unplugging the other fones and see if that helps

Thanks for the pointers

See ya,
Sean

Old July 26th 05, 05:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sean Rima

On 2005-07-26, James Bailey wrote:
Sean Rima wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the tip, when I looked at her phone socket, I noticed that she
had the filter plugged into an adaptor which had the phones plugged into as
well, I unplugged the lot, plugged the filter directly to the socket and
pluged the adaptor containing the phones into the filter and hey presto
56Kb/s

See ya,
Sean