Tiscali, cannot connect

Old July 26th 05, 05:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Julie Sinar

Default Tiscali, cannot connect

Hello,

My parents are having real problems connecting to Tiscali broadband, they
have been using them for over a year without any problems but about the
last week or so they cannot get online.

I contacted Tiscali and after doing nothing worthwhile they told me that I
must have a problem with the router, which is a netgear 834, but as far as
I can tell that is working OK. I have contacted BT and they say that the
line is fine. Nothing has changed in their computer set up (a PC and a
Mac).

Very occasionally they can get online for a few seconds, I know this
because sometimes they get emails on their mac (which they leave on all
the time), but even when they've just received an email ( they hear the
email notification noise from their imac) they still can?t browse the web
or check for emails again.

The only thing that I can think to do is to buy a new router, I was
wondering if anyone can suggest anything further I can do to track down
what their problem might be?

Thanks for reading,

Julie

Old July 26th 05, 06:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David G. Bell

On Tuesday, in article
JulieSinar wrote:

[...]

Microfilters?

My experience of the ones supplied by Tiscali when you sign on is not
good.

It could also be a particular phone.

I'd set things up with one connection, maybe not even a phone plugged in
to the microfilter, and check each microfilter in turn.

And what's the state of the modem-to-microfilter lead? I've had
conventional modems fail because of a dodgy lead.

A bad microfilter can mess up everything.

If possible, test at the master socket.

"I am Number Two," said Penfold. "You are Number Six."
Old July 26th 05, 08:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John DH

Any tutorials on how to secure a wireless network. I am doing the same, but
as I live up a glen, not too many neighbours to intrude :-)

John D

Fortunately so many of his neighbours have unsecured wireless networks
that he can quite happily access the internet!

--
Patrick (Durham UK)
PCRRN Internet Services

Old July 27th 05, 02:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tom

"Patrick Nethercot (ngs)" wrote in message
"John DH" wrote:

This is most commonly a WEP code (Wireless Encryption
Protocol I think)

Its actually Wired Equivalent Privacy.

WEP should be sufficient, if you live out of town, and don't have any
immediate neighbours. The more secure option is WPA-PSK, but not all
hardware supports this security option, if yours does, then I would use
WPA-PSK instead of WEP, even if you dont have anyone local to worry about
hacking in. You might as well be a secure as possible.

Old July 27th 05, 04:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Anthony Edwards

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 18:56:53 +0100, Patrick Nethercot
wrote:

Fortunately so many of his neighbours have unsecured wireless networks
that he can quite happily access the internet!

Not really recommended though, in view of:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/07..._driver_fined/

--
Anthony Edwards
easynet Ltd - Manchester

Old July 27th 05, 06:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Julie Sinar

Just an update, I tried using my filter and plugging directly into the main
telephone socket but it still did not work, so I tried using my router and
it worked fine, so my parents bought a new ADSL router and everything is
working perfectly, so the Netgear must be broken in some way

Julie
Old July 27th 05, 09:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 27 Jul 2005 17:38, Julie Sinar wrote:

so my parents bought a new ADSL router and everything is
working perfectly, so the Netgear must be broken in some way

that's a pain... I have here an earlier model (814 ?) as a winter
foot-warmer (the ADSL modem is faulty, it keeps the line 'off hook'
ie causes anyone ringing to think it is 'engaged', but the menu and
4 port ethernet works, so I can see the traffic to different PCs in
the summer, and in the winter, put it on the floor to warm my toes

The Netgear was with a small firm, and since Netgear sent them a new
one, and it was never going to work for the ADSL part, it became a
bit of junk to be disposed of... Might try contacting Netgear, but
expect them to require a 'flash' of the latest firmware before they
will do anything (perhaps ask for it to be sent back). Peter Morgan.

Old July 27th 05, 09:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 27 Jul 2005 14:22, Anthony Edwards wrote:

Not really recommended though, in view of:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/07..._driver_fined/

As per the comments on that page - it does seem pretty harsh, considering
the same might apply if there's an unencrypted network in the area. When
I was visiting friends in a nearby city, the son's scan located a college
network without encryption (most of the houses around them have students)
but fortunately the first thing it needed was for the user to login with
some student ID info, and he simply disconnected... In theory, having no
permission to connect, he could be charged in a similar way...

Though I guess driving around and scanning for connections (and presumably
some people getting 'alerts') did make the case more substantial. It does
seem a little odd, however, to think of people reporting attempts to connect
to their network to the police (unless they were considering the possibility
of unwelcome traffic, eg a message from some terror group, going through their
link, and them having the heavy mob break down the door, and run in with guns
etc at the ready).... Glad I have no wireless network !!!!! Peter M.