Netgear DG384G + XP SP1 - how safe?

Old July 27th 05, 08:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jambo

Default Netgear DG384G + XP SP1 - how safe?

Hi NG,

I have a DG834G adsl router with the firewall settings set to default. I
have two PCs connected - one I use for everything (which has XP SP2, AVG and
Zonealarm installed) and one which I use for gaming only (SP1, No antivirus
and Windows Firewall only). My question is, how safe will my gaming PC be
behind the netgear firewall. I really don't want to install XP SP2,
antivirus and personal firewall unless I have to as the system goes like the
clappers now and when these extras are installed, performance takes a hit. I
don't intend to use the gaming PC for net surfing - just for online gaming
eventually.

Anybody like to offer me their thoughts on the above?

TIA

Jambo

Old July 27th 05, 08:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul D.Smith

The Netgear firewall, provided it's correctly configured (i.e. no ports have
been opened), will protect you. BUT there is a known bug with the XP SP1
firewall in that it starts _AFTER_ the network comes up giving "nasties" a
brief window which, if they've found a way past the router firewall, they
can get you.

I would personally install the ZoneAlarm firewall. If the performance
really kills you then uninstall it but be aware there is a slight "window of
opportunity" for nasties to get in.

Paul DS.

Old July 27th 05, 09:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dogbert Dilbert

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 07:15:30 GMT, "Jambo"
wrote:

Hi NG,

I have a DG834G adsl router with the firewall settings set to default. I
have two PCs connected - one I use for everything (which has XP SP2, AVG and
Zonealarm installed) and one which I use for gaming only (SP1, No antivirus
and Windows Firewall only). My question is, how safe will my gaming PC be
behind the netgear firewall. I really don't want to install XP SP2,
antivirus and personal firewall unless I have to as the system goes like the
clappers now and when these extras are installed, performance takes a hit. I
don't intend to use the gaming PC for net surfing - just for online gaming
eventually.

Anybody like to offer me their thoughts on the above?

TIA

Jambo

This sounds exactly like the system I have, and it's perfectly safe. I
ran this for several years without problems. I also have a system like
this with SP2, but like you, I've switched off the Windows firewall
and antivirus because I'm using AVG and Zonealarm.
You can check the "security" of your system at Gibson Research - use
the "shields up" tool - usually the only holes in your security are
the ones Microsoft puts there.
http://www.grc.com/default.htm

Dogbertd
Old July 27th 05, 10:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Sobey

wrote:

Hi NG,

I have a DG834G adsl router with the firewall settings set to default. I
have two PCs connected - one I use for everything (which has XP SP2, AVG and
Zonealarm installed) and one which I use for gaming only (SP1, No antivirus
and Windows Firewall only). My question is, how safe will my gaming PC be
behind the netgear firewall. I really don't want to install XP SP2,
antivirus and personal firewall unless I have to as the system goes like the
clappers now and when these extras are installed, performance takes a hit. I
don't intend to use the gaming PC for net surfing - just for online gaming
eventually.

Anybody like to offer me their thoughts on the above?

My second install of XP for gaming is purely XP SP2 and is kept up to
date. No firewall. No anti virus. I trust my nat router to do what it
says on the tin and have for 5 years with no problems.
Old July 27th 05, 05:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tom

"Jambo" wrote in message
Hi NG,

I have a DG834G adsl router with the firewall settings set to default. I
have two PCs connected - one I use for everything (which has XP SP2, AVG
and Zonealarm installed) and one which I use for gaming only (SP1, No
antivirus and Windows Firewall only). My question is, how safe will my
gaming PC be behind the netgear firewall. I really don't want to install
XP SP2, antivirus and personal firewall unless I have to as the system
goes like the clappers now and when these extras are installed,
performance takes a hit. I don't intend to use the gaming PC for net
surfing - just for online gaming eventually.

Anybody like to offer me their thoughts on the above?

TIA

Jambo

I have a PC that is running behind a Netgear DG834G, without any service
packs and without zonealarm. Its been running nearly 2 years now. Not a
problem.

Old July 27th 05, 09:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jambo

"Tom" wrote in message

"Jambo" wrote in message
[...]

Cool, just what I wanted to hear! Thanks for the replies everybody.

Jambo

Old July 28th 05, 01:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Jambo wrote:
"Tom" wrote in message

"Jambo" wrote in message
[...]

Just be careful where you go & what you do (on the net).

Don't you just love those sweeping statements which don't give you all the
facts, it may be ok for Tom to run like that but would it suite your usage?

Can't help remembering what I heard & was told on a job at a small software
company a year or so ago. I was putting in a 2Mb circuit, fixed IP's etc &
when I mentioned about security, expecting them to tell me that they were
going to run a Linux firewall/Firebrick etc but they just turned around &
laughed saying that they didn't require any. Later they started to discuss
why all their BBS's had been crashed by people hacking into them the
previous weekend......

You make your choice & take your chances, personally I have the Draytek
routers firewall, to help block incoming, a software firewall to control
anything which may want to 'go out' from my connection & also run a virus &
spyware scan on a regular basis, but that's what suits my usage and after I
was infected by some software a friend ask me to look at I'll admit I'm
slightly paranoid...