D-LINK DSL-504 firmware upgrade

Old July 27th 05, 08:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

Default D-LINK DSL-504 firmware upgrade

I would welcome advice on how to do a D-LINK DSL-504 firmware upgrade.

(I have heard it can go wrong - and that you have to follow exactly the
right sequence for it to work.)

The router is a Generation II and the current firmware is:
R2.21.002.06.b2t10uk

I have downloaded D-LINKfirmware-DSL-504_Bx_FW_r221b17uk
and this contains two files:

dsl504R221b17uk.exe
dsl-504uk.bin

I realise that the second of these is the actual firmware,
but what is the first one, the exe file?

If anyone would be so kind as to give a step-by-step I would be very
grateful.
--
Chris
Old July 27th 05, 09:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Clark

Chris wrote:
I would welcome advice on how to do a D-LINK DSL-504 firmware upgrade.

(I have heard it can go wrong - and that you have to follow exactly the
right sequence for it to work.)

The router is a Generation II and the current firmware is:
R2.21.002.06.b2t10uk

I have downloaded D-LINKfirmware-DSL-504_Bx_FW_r221b17uk
and this contains two files:

dsl504R221b17uk.exe
dsl-504uk.bin

I realise that the second of these is the actual firmware,
but what is the first one, the exe file?

If anyone would be so kind as to give a step-by-step I would be very
grateful.

dsl504R221b17uk.exe - Unzips into 10 separate files.
One of which is a setup.exe

"Welcome to the DSL504-UK Firmware Upgrade Utility Setup Program. This
program will install the DSL504-UK Firmware Upgrade Utility on your
computer"
Old July 27th 05, 09:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Clark

Andy Clark wrote:
Chris wrote:

[...]

Bugger... pressed the wrong button.

If you know how to upgrade your firmware directly using the .bin file,
then stick with that.
Old July 27th 05, 10:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

In article , Andy Clark
writes
Andy Clark wrote:
Chris wrote:
[...]

Thanks for your first reply - that utility certainly seems relevant.
Your second reply is both mysterious and intriguing!
What did you actually do - and what happened?
--
Chris
Old July 27th 05, 12:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alt Beer

]...

Lots of info on 504 flashing here http://shadow.sentry.org/~trev/dsl50x.html

Old July 27th 05, 01:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

In article , Alt Beer
writes
"Chris" ] wrote in message
]...
I would welcome advice on how to do a D-LINK DSL-504 firmware upgrade.
(I have heard it can go wrong - and that you have to follow exactly the
right sequence for it to work.)
The router is a Generation II and the current firmware is:
R2.21.002.06.b2t10uk
I have downloaded D-LINKfirmware-DSL-504_Bx_FW_r221b17uk
and this contains two files:
dsl504R221b17uk.exe
dsl-504uk.bin
I realise that the second of these is the actual firmware,
but what is the first one, the exe file?
If anyone would be so kind as to give a step-by-step I would be very
grateful.

Lots of info on 504 flashing here http://shadow.sentry.org/~trev/dsl50x.html

Looks good - thankyou.
--
Chris
Old July 27th 05, 06:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy

"Chris" ] wrote in message
]...
I would welcome advice on how to do a D-LINK DSL-504 firmware upgrade.

(I have heard it can go wrong - and that you have to follow exactly the
right sequence for it to work.)

The router is a Generation II and the current firmware is:
R2.21.002.06.b2t10uk

I have downloaded D-LINKfirmware-DSL-504_Bx_FW_r221b17uk
and this contains two files:

dsl504R221b17uk.exe
dsl-504uk.bin

I realise that the second of these is the actual firmware,
but what is the first one, the exe file?

If anyone would be so kind as to give a step-by-step I would be very
grateful.
--
Chris

Ive just discovered you cannot turn off respond to ping on this router. Why
it doesnt have this feature i dont know.

Old July 27th 05, 06:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

In article , Andy
writes
"Chris" ] wrote in message
]...
I would welcome advice on how to do a D-LINK DSL-504 firmware upgrade.
(I have heard it can go wrong - and that you have to follow exactly the
right sequence for it to work.)
The router is a Generation II and the current firmware is:
R2.21.002.06.b2t10uk
I have downloaded D-LINKfirmware-DSL-504_Bx_FW_r221b17uk
and this contains two files:
dsl504R221b17uk.exe
dsl-504uk.bin
I realise that the second of these is the actual firmware,
but what is the first one, the exe file?
If anyone would be so kind as to give a step-by-step I would be very
grateful.

Ive just discovered you cannot turn off respond to ping on this router. Why
it doesnt have this feature i dont know.

Oh yes you can ... iff you have the latest firmware!
Hence the desire to do a firmware upgrade.

Has anyone actually done the upgrade?
Some feedback would be wonderful.
--
Chris
Old July 27th 05, 07:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alt Beer

"Chris" ] wrote in message
]...
In article , Andy
writes
"Chris" ] wrote in message
]...
[...]

I have read that the firmware upgrade to turn of ping acknowledge was only
released for the generation I model.