Bulldog Sales 'Argument'

Old July 27th 05, 11:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul C

Default Bulldog Sales 'Argument'

Hi

Have had the Bulldog sales on to me, however they are insisting my line will
be OK for 8Mb even though it does not reliably support 2Mb and I have had to
wittered on about contention ratios but I kept telling her if I cannot get
2Mb down my line they are not going to get 8Mb.

My Zyxel modem reports 51dB attenuation with noise margin of 13db. (it was
about 7 when 2Mb)

Are they telling porkies or do they do something with my line that BT don't.

thanks

Paul

Old July 27th 05, 12:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Paul C wrote:
Hi

Have had the Bulldog sales on to me, however they are insisting my
line will be OK for 8Mb even though it does not reliably support 2Mb
and I have had to go back to 1Mb after recent BT Broadband upgrade.
The sales girl 'Sonia' wittered on about contention ratios but I kept
telling her if I cannot get 2Mb down my line they are not going to
get 8Mb.
My Zyxel modem reports 51dB attenuation with noise margin of 13db.
(it was about 7 when 2Mb)

Are they telling porkies or do they do something with my line that BT
don't.

I think that you can safely say that Bulldog is telling porkies (it's called
salesmanship in some places). As they don't have anything done to your ll
other than attatch their services to the end of it, you already know the
probability of getting more than you do now...

Old July 27th 05, 01:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
CJM

"Paul C" wrote in message
Hi

Have had the Bulldog sales on to me, however they are insisting my line
will be OK for 8Mb even though it does not reliably support 2Mb and I have
had to go back to 1Mb after recent BT Broadband upgrade. The sales girl
'Sonia' wittered on about contention ratios but I kept telling her if I
cannot get 2Mb down my line they are not going to get 8Mb.

My Zyxel modem reports 51dB attenuation with noise margin of 13db. (it was
about 7 when 2Mb)

Are they telling porkies or do they do something with my line that BT
don't.

thanks

Paul

43dB is the limit for 2MB so I assume it can only be lower for 8Mb...

Another vote for porkies here too....

Old July 27th 05, 01:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Don Carter

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 10:11:21 +0100, "Paul C"
wrote:

Hi

Have had the Bulldog sales on to me, however they are insisting my line will
be OK for 8Mb even though it does not reliably support 2Mb and I have had to
wittered on about contention ratios but I kept telling her if I cannot get
2Mb down my line they are not going to get 8Mb.

My Zyxel modem reports 51dB attenuation with noise margin of 13db. (it was
about 7 when 2Mb)

Are they telling porkies or do they do something with my line that BT don't.

thanks

Paul

They're telling porkies.
Old July 27th 05, 03:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jasmine

I'm thinking porkies too.

Old July 27th 05, 07:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PJB

"Paul C" wrote in message
Hi

Have had the Bulldog sales on to me, however they are insisting my line

will
be OK for 8Mb even though it does not reliably support 2Mb and I have had

wittered on about contention ratios but I kept telling her if I cannot get
2Mb down my line they are not going to get 8Mb.

My Zyxel modem reports 51dB attenuation with noise margin of 13db. (it was
about 7 when 2Mb)

Are they telling porkies or do they do something with my line that BT

don't.

their blurb says "upto 8Mb" ;-) I used to get around 7-7.5, it's been on 2.5
for the last 3 days though.

P.

Old July 27th 05, 10:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Don Carter

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 16:29:18 +0100, Sleeker GT Phwoar
wrote:

Same here. Porkies I'm afraid.
I'm a 4 meg customer who always (almost) connects at 4 meg.
All exhanges have supposedly been upgraded to allow 8 meg connections
now. But my line has never, ever, ever tried to synch at a speed faster
than 4 meg. Ever (in case I hadn't gotten that accross).

So et me see if I understand you. You don't get 8 Meg?
Old July 28th 05, 03:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

wrote:

Same here. Porkies I'm afraid.
I'm a 4 meg customer who always (almost) connects at 4 meg.
All exhanges have supposedly been upgraded to allow 8 meg connections
now. But my line has never, ever, ever tried to synch at a speed
faster than 4 meg. Ever (in case I hadn't gotten that accross).

All exchanges haven't been upgraded yet, but will be eventually

So et me see if I understand you. You don't get 8 Meg?

I think what he is actually saying is that he hasn't even got a reliable 4Mb
connection let alone 8Mb..

Old July 29th 05, 05:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul C

Hi

As a follow up their supervisor said if line does not get 8Mb they will put
a new one in that will (but lose current number)

Yeah...and how long will that take??

Paul