If I leave Pipex Xtreme solo, could I still retieve email from Pipex mailboxes ???

Old July 27th 05, 08:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Harvey

Default If I leave Pipex Xtreme solo, could I still retieve email from Pipex mailboxes ???

Hi,
I am considering moving from Pipex after 3.5 years now that I am paying
23pm for 500Kbps whereas all the folks I know who have recently upgraded
from dial-up to ADSL are paying 15-18pm for a similar speed service.

I am considering changing voice telephone provider from BT to OneTel and
noticed that they do some very attractive bundles including 24/7 unmetered
inland voice calls plus 2MB broadband
http://www.onetel.co.uk/index.php/bundle3 which is 29.99 + 9.99 line
rental so this looks favourable compared with paying 25pm to BT and 23.75
to Pipex for only 500Kbps.

My only concern is what happens to mail sent to my five mailboxes at
dsl.pipex.com. With most other ISPs having PAYG services that a dissatisfied
broadband user could "downgrade" to before migrating, mail could still be
collected however this is not the case for Pipex who do not do PAYG.

Any advice received would be appreciated......

Steve Harvey

steveharvey [at] dsl [dot] pipex [dot] com

Old July 27th 05, 08:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Just me

"Steve Harvey" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Do people still rely on ISP's for email? surely spend a tenner, buy your own
domain name and use that.

I use www.virtualnames.co.uk good service and access your mail regardless
how/who your connected with.

HTH

Old July 27th 05, 11:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 27 Jul 2005 20:29, "Steve Harvey" wrote:

what happens to mail sent to my five mailboxes at dsl.pipex.com.

It will get bounced. Before you switch, get yourself a domain (and you
should be able to find some deal with free e-mail forwarding/storage - I
have been using a service where it would cost under a tenner for a domain
to be registered for the next 7 or 8 years when they have a deal going, so
..info costs $1.99/year (else it costs $2.99/year). Peter M.

Old July 28th 05, 07:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

Steve Harvey wrote:
Hi,

My only concern is what happens to mail sent to my five mailboxes at
dsl.pipex.com. With most other ISPs having PAYG services that a dissatisfied
broadband user could "downgrade" to before migrating, mail could still be
collected however this is not the case for Pipex who do not do PAYG.

I migrated away from Pipex on June 6th, and my account with them was closed on
June 22nd. At the time of posting my e-mail accounts are still accessible to
send to and collect mail from, so going by my experience you'll have at least
a 4-6 week overlap ?

--
Mark
Old July 28th 05, 12:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stefan Kaniuk

I migrated away from Pipex on June 6th, and my account with them was
closed on
June 22nd. At the time of posting my e-mail accounts are still accessible
to send to and collect mail from, so going by my experience you'll have at
least a 4-6 week overlap ?

in your experience yes maybe but not always for others.

Old July 28th 05, 03:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

"Steve Harvey" wrote in message
.. .
Hi,
I am considering moving from Pipex after 3.5 years now that I am paying
23pm for 500Kbps whereas all the folks I know who have recently upgraded
from dial-up to ADSL are paying 15-18pm for a similar speed service.

I have the 19.99 pm 'Solo 500' account which is nominally limited to 1GB.
Pipex never actually implemented the 1GB limit and I am now hoping that they
never will, as because of line quality my account can not be upgraded to a
faster speed.

I use 123-reg for email forwarding to make ISP migration easier. (Pipex also run
123-reg!)

--

Michael Chare

Old July 29th 05, 11:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

Stefan Kaniuk wrote:
I migrated away from Pipex on June 6th, and my account with them was
closed on
June 22nd. At the time of posting my e-mail accounts are still accessible
to send to and collect mail from, so going by my experience you'll have at
least a 4-6 week overlap ?

in your experience yes maybe but not always for others.

Well, perhaps someone from Pipex is lurking in here, because just after 11:00
today my Pipex mailboxes were invalidated. Webspace is still there though :-)

--
Mark