DACS and connection delays

Old July 28th 05, 10:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
P.R.Brady

Default DACS and connection delays

I thought that ADSL was possible, admittedly only at 256K, on all lines
irrrespective of length? Is that right?

I'm 5.5km from the exchange as the crow flies but BT have reported a
DACS on my line and say "Unfortunately we am [sic] in the process of
cancelling the order, as even after the dacs is removed the engineers
have advised this line will not support adsl." The ISP promptly
resubmitted the order for 1Mbit.

Regards
Phil

Old July 28th 05, 12:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John P

P.R.Brady wrote:
I thought that ADSL was possible, admittedly only at 256K, on all lines
irrrespective of length? Is that right?

I'm 5.5km from the exchange as the crow flies but BT have reported a
DACS on my line and say "Unfortunately we am [sic] in the process of
cancelling the order, as even after the dacs is removed the engineers
have advised this line will not support adsl." The ISP promptly
resubmitted the order for 1Mbit.

What speed was the original order for ?

JP
Old July 28th 05, 03:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
P.R.Brady

John P wrote:
P.R.Brady wrote:

I thought that ADSL was possible, admittedly only at 256K, on all
lines irrrespective of length? Is that right?

I'm 5.5km from the exchange as the crow flies but BT have reported a
DACS on my line and say "Unfortunately we am [sic] in the process of
cancelling the order, as even after the dacs is removed the engineers
have advised this line will not support adsl." The ISP promptly
resubmitted the order for 1Mbit.

What speed was the original order for ?

JP

2Mbit, though I expected far less.
Phil

Old July 28th 05, 03:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

P.R.Brady wrote:
John P wrote:
P.R.Brady wrote:

I thought that ADSL was possible, admittedly only at 256K, on all
lines irrrespective of length? Is that right?

I'm 5.5km from the exchange as the crow flies but BT have reported a
DACS on my line and say "Unfortunately we am [sic] in the process of
cancelling the order, as even after the dacs is removed the
engineers have advised this line will not support adsl." The ISP
promptly resubmitted the order for 1Mbit.

What speed was the original order for ?

JP

2Mbit, though I expected far less.
Phil

Should have gone for the minimum & worked your way up from there after
getting service. At least you would have some type of broadband connection
now & would also have a fair idea of what would be your possible maximum
connection speed as well (you could fail the 1Mb & then you would have to
wait whilst the system goes round again for a 512k provide).....

Old July 28th 05, 06:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 10:22:27 +0100, "P.R.Brady"
wrote:

I thought that ADSL was possible, admittedly only at 256K, on all lines
irrrespective of length? Is that right?

no. Some are too long, end of story.

The www.bt.com/broadband number checker is fairly conservative, if it
offers something (without saying "very unlikely") then it can probably
be made to work.

Phil

Old July 29th 05, 03:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
P.R.Brady

wrote:

I thought that ADSL was possible, admittedly only at 256K, on all lines
irrrespective of length? Is that right?

no. Some are too long, end of story.

The www.bt.com/broadband number checker is fairly conservative, if it
offers something (without saying "very unlikely") then it can probably
be made to work.

Phil

Sadly the checker is inconsistent.
My number: 2Mbit
Postcode: 1 Mbit
Address: 1 Mbit
Neighbour's number: Very unlikely to get 512K ot 256K.

Phil

Old July 29th 05, 08:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 15:03:31 +0100, "P.R.Brady"
wrote:

Sadly the checker is inconsistent.
My number: 2Mbit
Postcode: 1 Mbit
Address: 1 Mbit

Postcode has always been useless. Number is most reliable, but if the
DACS exists the precise cable is undefined and the neighbours may be a
better guide.

Phil