A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) (uk.telecom.broadband) Discussion of broadband services, technology and equipment as provided in the UK. Discussions of specific services based on ADSL, cable modems or other broadband technology are also on-topic. Advertising is not allowed.

Broadband for Scotland's Rural and Remote Areas initiative



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old July 28th 05, 12:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cullen Skink
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 76
Default Broadband for Scotland's Rural and Remote Areas initiative

Does the deal the Scottish Executive has done with BT to provide 100% BB
access for Scotland mean access for every home or is that 100% of
exchanges will be Broadband enabled?

tia

--
www.ukwebhost.com


  #2  
Old July 28th 05, 01:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bruce Fletcher
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 13
Default Broadband for Scotland's Rural and Remote Areas initiative

Cullen Skink wrote:
Does the deal the Scottish Executive has done with BT to provide 100% BB
access for Scotland mean access for every home or is that 100% of
exchanges will be Broadband enabled?


The small exchange on this remote island* serves 69 residential premises
and 4 non-residential premises (18 preregistrations +11 duplicates). It
will be upgraded to provide 512K broadband on 24 Aug. Whether everyone
on the island who wants broadband will be able to get it is another
question; even though the island is only 7 miles long the telephone
cabling is all underground and, if it follows the roadside verges, will
take a tortuous route to some remote crofts.

*Stronsay, Orkney - see
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange.php?ecode=NSSSY)
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney
www.stronsay.co.uk/claremont
  #3  
Old July 28th 05, 06:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,720
Default Broadband for Scotland's Rural and Remote Areas initiative

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 11:47:49 +0000 (UTC), "Cullen Skink"
wrote:

Does the deal the Scottish Executive has done with BT to provide 100% BB
access for Scotland mean access for every home or is that 100% of
exchanges will be Broadband enabled?


the latter.

Phil
--
Tiscali - dialup speeds at Broadband prices, see
http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/postlist...&Board=tiscali

AOL - the unlimited ISP of choice for heavy downloaders.
  #4  
Old July 28th 05, 10:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mick
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8
Default Broadband for Scotland's Rural and Remote Areas initiative


"Bruce Fletcher" wrote in message
...
Cullen Skink wrote:
Does the deal the Scottish Executive has done with BT to provide 100% BB
access for Scotland mean access for every home or is that 100% of
exchanges will be Broadband enabled?


The small exchange on this remote island* serves 69 residential premises
and 4 non-residential premises (18 preregistrations +11 duplicates). It
will be upgraded to provide 512K broadband on 24 Aug. Whether everyone
on the island who wants broadband will be able to get it is another
question; even though the island is only 7 miles long the telephone
cabling is all underground and, if it follows the roadside verges, will
take a tortuous route to some remote crofts.

*Stronsay, Orkney - see
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange.php?ecode=NSSSY)
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney
www.stronsay.co.uk/claremont


We have 16 phones (2 are unused) and 1 isdn line (very little use) on our
island, which is served by a microwave link direct from the exchange on the
mainland. Exchange has just been activated and three of us waiting to go
online with another two possibles soon. Trouble is that BT have been unable
to tell us what bandwidth the link is (one BT call centre staff member
seemed to think the microwave link was something I should be cooking the
dinner in). I have signed up for 2mb and keeping my fingers crossed.

Mick - Graemsay - Orkney


  #5  
Old July 29th 05, 01:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cullen Skink
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 76
Default Broadband for Scotland's Rural and Remote Areas initiative

Phil Thompson wrote:
On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 11:47:49 +0000 (UTC), "Cullen Skink"
wrote:

Does the deal the Scottish Executive has done with BT to provide
100% BB access for Scotland mean access for every home or is that
100% of exchanges will be Broadband enabled?


the latter.


Ah right that's a pity, although a news item I read states that BT says
over 99.4% of the entire UK population will be able to get broadband by
this year. Just clutching at straws maybe.

I have a second engineer visit next week after removal of a DACS still
didn't get my broadband working. Anything I could ask him to do given
that the last one said he'd no idea why it wouldn't work? Try connecting
from the street box across the road, rather than just the exchange? If
that's possible and it works I'm guessing that means the problem is the
length of cable from the house to the box which is less than a stone's
throw. Would they replace that?


  #6  
Old July 29th 05, 04:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 31
Default Broadband for Scotland's Rural and Remote Areas initiative

Confirming what Phil stated, 100% exchange enablement only. I have had
this in writing from BT. Their statistics seem to use a model of
distance from the exchange as the crow flies and not cable length. BT
itself is not committed to any cable or other work to enable those too
far away to meet their contract with the Scottish Executive which is
all about enabling those exchnages hitherto deemed unviable. The
Scottish Executive itself claims to be committed to try and bring
broadband to every community (not sure of definition of "community")
subject to budgetary constraints and there is a Project Manager,
Broadband For Scotland, Rural & Remote Areas looking precisely at this
issue. It will not suprise you to know that I am one of those
affected. Enabled exchange 8.5Km away as the cable runs but 4.5Km as
the crow flies! No ADSL, not even Highway!
It is important to apply for broadband even if you know you cannot get
it as analysis of failed applicatons is being used a measure of demand
for such areas.



On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 12:09:42 +0000 (UTC), "Cullen Skink"
wrote:

Phil Thompson wrote:
On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 11:47:49 +0000 (UTC), "Cullen Skink"
wrote:

Does the deal the Scottish Executive has done with BT to provide
100% BB access for Scotland mean access for every home or is that
100% of exchanges will be Broadband enabled?


the latter.


Ah right that's a pity, although a news item I read states that BT says
over 99.4% of the entire UK population will be able to get broadband by
this year. Just clutching at straws maybe.

I have a second engineer visit next week after removal of a DACS still
didn't get my broadband working. Anything I could ask him to do given
that the last one said he'd no idea why it wouldn't work? Try connecting
from the street box across the road, rather than just the exchange? If
that's possible and it works I'm guessing that means the problem is the
length of cable from the house to the box which is less than a stone's
throw. Would they replace that?


  #7  
Old July 29th 05, 05:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cullen Skink
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 76
Default Broadband for Scotland's Rural and Remote Areas initiative

Chris wrote:
Confirming what Phil stated, 100% exchange enablement only. I have had
this in writing from BT. Their statistics seem to use a model of
distance from the exchange as the crow flies and not cable length. BT
itself is not committed to any cable or other work to enable those too
far away to meet their contract with the Scottish Executive which is
all about enabling those exchnages hitherto deemed unviable. The
Scottish Executive itself claims to be committed to try and bring
broadband to every community (not sure of definition of "community")
subject to budgetary constraints and there is a Project Manager,
Broadband For Scotland, Rural & Remote Areas looking precisely at this
issue. It will not suprise you to know that I am one of those
affected. Enabled exchange 8.5Km away as the cable runs but 4.5Km as
the crow flies! No ADSL, not even Highway!
It is important to apply for broadband even if you know you cannot get
it as analysis of failed applicatons is being used a measure of demand
for such areas.


Thanks for that. I'm about 4km away and the exchange is enabled. I'm on
a main road which is straight to the exchange. Neighbours further away,
running off the same lines get BB without problem so I don't know what
the problem is at my house. First BT engineer just said he didn't know
why it wouldn't work but that it wasn't a line length issue. Then Virgin
said there was a DACS on the line which has allegedly been removed, with
no change. Second engineer is out next week. Been ongoing for two
months now. Hope you get something sorted.


  #8  
Old July 29th 05, 07:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bill
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 61
Default Broadband for Scotland's Rural and Remote Areas initiative

Chris wrote:

in part

The
Scottish Executive itself claims to be committed to try and bring
broadband to every community (not sure of definition of "community")
subject to budgetary constraints and there is a Project Manager,
Broadband For Scotland, Rural & Remote Areas looking precisely at this
issue.


I think 'community' is 50 dwellings, but might be voters.

Bill
  #9  
Old July 29th 05, 08:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cullen Skink
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 76
Default Broadband for Scotland's Rural and Remote Areas initiative

Phil Thompson wrote:
On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 12:09:42 +0000 (UTC), "Cullen Skink"
wrote:

Anything I could ask him to do given
that the last one said he'd no idea why it wouldn't work? Try
connecting from the street box across the road, rather than just the
exchange? If that's possible and it works I'm guessing that means
the problem is the length of cable from the house to the box which
is less than a stone's throw. Would they replace that?


you could "simplify" the system at your end ie disconnect everything
that moves from the phone system. The BT guy should test in a way that
excludes it, but you never know.


Will do

If it doesn't work then he may trace it back until it does, using his
laptop and modem in a street cab, for example. If it works there the
attenuation measurement can be taken and the SNR or noise margin to
estimate how much further it'll go.


Right I'll suggest that then as the cabinet is just across the road.
Would narrow it down if it works fine there.

All depends if you have more than 10 dB/km of attenuation or just too
many kms. Typical cable lengths are ~73% more than straight line
distance to the exchange, I read somewhere.


Hopefully this line length isn't typical in that sense then! :-) I can't
see it being too bad as I live on the main road that runs straight into
the nearby village where the exchange is. The line appears to run along
the side of the road. A neighbour who must be nearly a mile further out
on the same line/exchange had no problem getting broadband, plus the
engineer said it definitely isn't a line length issue. I guess I could
just have a rubbish line. Is there any sort of configuration change
needed when a dacs is removed that may not have been done that would
affect it?

They don't do much in the way of replacing line unless its so bad as
to count as a fault.


Hoping it's something to do with the dacs, or that now it's been removed
the engineer will get it up and running.

Thanks for all your advice. (and everyone else).


  #10  
Old August 1st 05, 01:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cullen Skink
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 76
Default Broadband for Scotland's Rural and Remote Areas initiative

Phil Thompson wrote:
On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 19:46:10 +0000 (UTC), "Cullen Skink"
wrote:

Is there any sort of configuration change
needed when a dacs is removed that may not have been done that would
affect it?


apart from not removing the DACS there is a chance they dig up a dodgy
old pair to use - the DACS was there for a reason, after all.
Sometimes a new cable is pulled or the dropping of 2nd lines for 'net
access frees up a pair.


The engineer has come and gone and it's working! At last! He was very
positive from the start as he was the one who had set up broadband with
my neighbours and said the distance was no problem at all. He was
willing to try everything, said he would even start lifting cable to find
where the fault started, if need be. In the end there were a couple of
faults, one at the exchange and one at the box where the line comes into
the house. He reckons I could get 2MB as well as he says the cabling is
very good all the way to the house. :-)


 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RFD: uk.telecom.broadband.rural Andrew Hodgson uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 13 January 13th 04 09:26 PM
BTs self install ADSL kits or the (for remote areas outside ADSL reach) BT broadband satellite service. David uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 1 January 8th 04 08:23 AM
RFD: uk.telecom.broadband.rural Mike Fleming uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 0 January 7th 04 07:18 PM
NTL Broadband in Non-Cable areas of Lincolnshire Derrick Fawsitt uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 6 December 10th 03 11:06 AM
ADV : UK : Local Wireless Internet access & community network provider for rural areas - UK Kijoma uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 26 July 12th 03 05:43 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2019 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.