pulling hair out !!!!

Old July 28th 05, 04:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
WeeWillyTonka

Default pulling hair out !!!!

I have a Genius gw-7200p wireless cardbus and a mentor wireless access point
wlg ap uk rigged up to the router.

Ok now the problem:
I can connect lovely when it's not secure but as son as I try to secure it I
can not connect.
I have tired Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA) no luck
and Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) just the same.

If I can't get them to work one at a time how the hell can I get both to
work.

God I need a drink!!!!

I can't us the software that came with the cardbus it just crashes XP so I'm
just using windows built thingy bob.

Help me please the kids are driving me mad wanting to use the new laptop but
I can't leave the network open.

Thanks you I feel better already knowing I have the help of you guys.

Thanks
WW

Old July 28th 05, 05:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
WeeWillyTonka

I have put the User Guide here it may help you to help me

http://wifi4.tripod.com/WLG-AP.English.htm

thanks
WW

Old July 28th 05, 06:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
McSpreader

"WeeWillyTonka" wrote in news:42e90975
:

I have put the User Guide here it may help you to help me

http://wifi4.tripod.com/WLG-AP.English.htm

You imply that you should be using both WEP and WPA - wrong. As
both devices appear to support WPA, that's the one to go for.

1 Set the router up using a wired connection.

2 Choose and set up an SSID for your LAN.

3 Select WPA-PSK and set a key value - any string between 8 and 64
characters.

4 Copy that key and paste it into a text file using Notepad.

5 Save the file to a portable medium that can be read by your
laptop - floppy, USB memory disk.

6 Right-click the wireless icon in your system tray and select View
Available Wireless Networks.

7 You should see your network offered - click Connect.

8 You'll be asked for the security key.

9 Load the medium containing your saved key, open the file and then
copy and paste the key into the security key field - twice.

The laptop should connect OK.

Old July 28th 05, 07:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
WeeWillyTonka

"McSpreader" wrote in message
: "WeeWillyTonka" wrote in news:42e90975
: :
:
[...]
Done this god knows how many time now, have just gone through it again still
can't connect.
It's no-wonder that there are so many open access point if it's this hard to
set-up.I'm normally ok with thing like this but it now it's driving me round
the bend.

Thanks
WW

Old July 28th 05, 09:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
McSpreader

"WeeWillyTonka" wrote in
:

"McSpreader" wrote in message
: "WeeWillyTonka" wrote in
: news:42e90975 :
:
[...]

WW,

I've done this many times with a wide variety of equipment and it is not hard
to set up: it *usually* works just fine first time. Two cases where it didn't
were both down to cheapo PCMCIA (or whatever they're called this week) cards
which I swapped for different makes. Suggest you try a different card,
preferably from a known brand - Linksys, Netgear, D-Link, Belkin, 3Com.

Old July 28th 05, 10:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bill

"WeeWillyTonka" wrote in message
I have a Genius gw-7200p wireless cardbus and a mentor wireless access
point
wlg ap uk rigged up to the router.

Ok now the problem:
I can connect lovely when it's not secure but as son as I try to secure it
can not connect.
I have tired Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA) no luck
and Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) just the same.

If I can't get them to work one at a time how the hell can I get both to
work.

God I need a drink!!!!

You're not alone. I'm having the same problem with a D-Link DSL-904 package.
I got so fedup of it I've left it fairly open at the moment, I must get
round to fixing it sometime. In the meantime I'm just using MAC filtering
(useless I know)

I'll be watching this thread for ideas .....

Old July 28th 05, 11:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
WeeWillyTonka

"Bill" wrote in message
: "WeeWillyTonka" wrote in message
: ...
[...]

I'm just so feed-up with the whole thing,I just can't speeding more money on
the of chance it may be this bit of kit or that bit.There has to be away or
could it be a problem with XP,I just don't know.I'm feed-up with googling to
try and find the answer.

Cheers
WW

Old July 28th 05, 11:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NTL News

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

When I had a similar problem I ditched the PCMCIA card for a USB w/l LAN
adapter (cost about 19 quid) but it worked straight away.

Any way you could borrow one to test out?

Al

Old July 29th 05, 03:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Endaf

you havent turned on MAC Address Filtering gave you???

Old July 29th 05, 02:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
T i m

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 16:49:06 +0100, "WeeWillyTonka"
wrote:

I have a Genius gw-7200p wireless cardbus and a mentor wireless access point
wlg ap uk rigged up to the router.

Ok now the problem:
I can connect lovely when it's not secure but as son as I try to secure it I
can not connect.
I have tired Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA) no luck
and Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) just the same.

I now how you feel .. in spite of being 'pretty good' with PC /
Networks (in a 'get them working' rather than deep understanding
sense) WiFi has caused me the most frustration.

As mentioned elsewhere (and I know you wanted to avoid extra cost)
'alternative' kit to try / borrow can be a key to this stuff (rather
than a solution as such).

Fact, wires work, wireless may not (or may not all of the time etc)!

I changed my 10 year old and working perfectly wired doorbell for a
wireless one recently (to put a remote down the garage) and it's
stopped working (checked / reset / fresh batteries everything). So
that's going back to wired ;-(

Sorry if you have been here fore 20 times but ..

In addition to the good advice given already .. 'Restore factory
dafaults' on the router.

Connect via a wired PC (the wan side needn't be connected) and check
WiFi is enabled and open.

Download / install Netstumbler and if it see's you WiFi device check
it can see your AP (on the chan you saw with the wired PC and the
default SSID). It might also be an idea to turn you AP / router off
and make sure nothing else is on your chan etc. You can also see if
the WiFi is open or not from there.

I wonder if the different WEP WPA settings are in HEX or ASCII?

Check for firm / soft / driver updates for all devices.

Please keep us informed and remember ... we learn more when it goes
wrong ;-)

All the best ..

T i m