Who do Tiscali think they are kidding?

Old July 28th 05, 11:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James

Default Who do Tiscali think they are kidding?

Just been onto the Tiscali website for a look around. They are still
pushing that dreadful 1MBit deal with a staggeringly low 2GB download limit
for 15.99 a month! Thats got to be the worst deal at the moment, when you
compare it to a 2Mbit package from PlusNet with no download cap, and for
less money. How can they possibly be serious about such a crap package?
Who are they trying to attract with this deal?

Old July 28th 05, 11:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"James" writes:
Just been onto the Tiscali website for a look around. They are still
pushing that dreadful 1MBit deal with a staggeringly low 2GB download limit
for 15.99 a month! Thats got to be the worst deal at the moment, when you
compare it to a 2Mbit package from PlusNet with no download cap, and for
less money. How can they possibly be serious about such a crap package?
Who are they trying to attract with this deal?

They've been running lots of radio ads.
The response from those from people who
don't shop around may be keeping them going.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Old July 28th 05, 11:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 23:04:42 +0100, "James"
wrote:

How can they possibly be serious about such a crap package?
Who are they trying to attract with this deal?

people looking at BT Broadband Basic ?

Phil

Old July 28th 05, 11:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

James wrote:
Just been onto the Tiscali website for a look around. They are still
pushing that dreadful 1MBit deal with a staggeringly low 2GB download
limit for 15.99 a month! Thats got to be the worst deal at the
moment, when you compare it to a 2Mbit package from PlusNet with no
download cap, and for less money. How can they possibly be serious
about such a crap package? Who are they trying to attract with this
deal?

Try looking a little deeper at Plusnet, there is not CAP as such but there
is some airy fairy, non defined Fair Usage Policy & all residential accounts
are now traffic shaped. They've even just admited that they have
'accidently' put over 2000 of their customers onto the incorrect traffic
shaping (well 14 days or so ago, it's just that've only come clean about it
over the last couple of days).Recently they have started to block ports
without really looking at the affect it may have on the customers. Suddenly
they backing down on some of those as well, now that they have discovered
that certain ports they blocked are used for transfering files in IIRC...

Yes Tiscali is expensive (& I personally don't like their business model)
but don't hold PN up as a shining example of a good ISP. They used to be &
they may be so again but at the moment there appears to a be lot of knee
jerk, ill thought out changes, which they're not even informing their
customers about until it been done for a number of days (such as the traffic
shaping on their Premier accounts)...

Old July 29th 05, 02:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Worse still, once with Piscali BB they won't let you leave...
Regards,
Martin

Old July 29th 05, 05:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Cummings

In message , James
writes
Just been onto the Tiscali website for a look around. They are still
pushing that dreadful 1MBit deal with a staggeringly low 2GB download limit
for 15.99 a month! Thats got to be the worst deal at the moment,

Nah...BT Broadband Basic, 1GB/month for 17.99GBP beats it hands down!
--
Ian Cummings
Old July 29th 05, 07:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bill

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
"James" writes:
Just been onto the Tiscali website for a look around. They are still
pushing that dreadful 1MBit deal with a staggeringly low 2GB download limit
for 15.99 a month! Thats got to be the worst deal at the moment, when you
compare it to a 2Mbit package from PlusNet with no download cap, and for
less money. How can they possibly be serious about such a crap package?
Who are they trying to attract with this deal?

They've been running lots of radio ads.
The response from those from people who
don't shop around may be keeping them going.

--
Andrew Gabriel

And those ads are all about how 'super fast' it is (like half of most
peoples') and how the price has been 'slashed' (by 7%) neither of which
would really seem to be fair descriptions.
Could have had a laugh and referred to ASA but when the radio is on I'm
driving.

Bill
Old July 30th 05, 06:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 29 Jul 2005 19:55, Bill wrote:

those ads are all about how 'super fast' it is (like half of most
peoples')

I've not heard the ads, but compared with dial-up (and I had that to compare
with recently, when helping someone with a PC and no broadband!) even 250 k
would seem super fast... so what speed are they on about ? If you mean a
speed of 1000 kbps is 'half of most' then I suspect you are comparing with
a sub-set of customers (the extra keen ones who participate via web forums
or on newsgroups) who have higher speed, but doubt they are the majority,
seeing comments about 'why are we waiting for free speed regrades'...

Old July 30th 05, 03:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Terry

"Martin²" wrote in message
Worse still, once with Piscali BB they won't let you leave...
Regards,
Martin

Im still waiting for the speed increase that was promised in March 2005.
They reckoned I was gonna get a 1MB package instead of 512k for the same
price as 512k. Still no upgrade, still no speed increase, I have all the
promises here in my inbox and on paper (letters from them). I shall be
publishing the whle lot online shortly, so everyone can see how they treat
their customers.