Q. Is it possible to share a Broadband connection.

Old July 29th 05, 03:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
IamTheWalrus

Default Q. Is it possible to share a Broadband connection.

Hi folks.

1 PC running Win98SE connects to BB by a Thomson Speedtouch USB Modem.
Works great. No problems. Ticketyboo.

Is it possible to share this connection so other PCs running Win98SE and
Win2K and connected peer to peer can access the web?

Any information gratefully received, as always!

All the best.
--
IamTheWalrus
Old July 29th 05, 03:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 29 Jul 2005 15:00, IamTheWalrus wrote:

Is it possible to share this connection so other PCs running Win98SE and
Win2K and connected peer to peer can access the web?

Any information gratefully received, as always!

I'm sure it is, but in truth, many people (even for just a single PC) would
recommend using a combined ADSL modem/router. There are 1 port and 4 port
models available, and they are quite cheap - 30 to 40 quid (including a 2m
cable for the second PC) and will offer easier access, protection (using NAT
so it blocks unwanted incoming packets from reaching any PC on your LAN) and
stays online all the time so you can power up the PCs individually and would
not need the 'ADSL modem' PC to be on for the other to use the internet. A
free firewall on each PC then gives you limited protection against one PC on
the LAN infecting others, if something gets past your anti-virus. Having a
PC act as gateway, firewall, and anti-virus may not be so easy to set up.

Old July 29th 05, 10:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

"poster" wrote in message
. net...
[...]

This is exactly what I do here.

My Win98SE machine connects to the internet with a USB modem and has ICS
(Internet Connection Sharing) enabled

My Sons Win XP Pro computer is connected to mine by wiring the two LAN ports
together with a crossover cable.

The system works well for us and there is no additional hardware to buy.

IMHO it is not half as insecure as some people would have you believe,
eg. you need to forward specific ports that expect an incoming connection
just as you do with a router.

However, if you are not a cheaskate like me, I would suggest you the job
properly with a NAT router with a proper hardware firewall with SPI etc.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old July 30th 05, 01:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Graham:
This is exactly what I do here.

My Win98SE machine connects to the internet with a USB modem and has ICS
(Internet Connection Sharing) enabled

My Sons Win XP Pro computer is connected to mine by wiring the two LAN
ports
together with a crossover cable.

Yes, BUT the first computer has to be ON for the other to be able to connect
to BB.
Also ICS is inefficient leading to loss of connection and general speed for
both computers.
Regards,
Martin

Old July 30th 05, 08:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 22:57:22 +0100, "Graham" wrote:

IMHO it is not half as insecure as some people would have you believe,
eg. you need to forward specific ports that expect an incoming connection
just as you do with a router.

for the second machine that may be true but the first PC (the one with
a modem) is open to the internet and has windows vulnerabilities there
for the world to see.

Phil

Old July 30th 05, 08:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 15:00:10 +0100, IamTheWalrus
wrote:

Hi folks.

1 PC running Win98SE connects to BB by a Thomson Speedtouch USB Modem.
Works great. No problems. Ticketyboo.

Is it possible to share this connection so other PCs running Win98SE and
Win2K and connected peer to peer can access the web?

Any information gratefully received, as always!

All the best.

That's what i'm doing to share my cable modem connection. My main pc
has 2 ethernet ports, 1 of which is already connected to the cable
modem.

I decided to connect up my older pc so the wife and I can use the net
at the same time. It was simply a case of sticking a 5 quid etheret
card in the older pc and running a crossover cable between the 2
machines and setting up internet connection sharing on the main PC

The only problem that I had, and it didn't take too long to figure
out, was that the secondary machine wasn't picking up the ISP's DNS
servers when set to automatic, although the main PC is. Possibly due
to the main PC running ZoneAlarm but I can't quite figure out the
reason.

All I had to do is specify them manually on the secondary machine and
all is working ok.

I do plan to do things properly and get a router someday but until
then, this arrangement works quite well and doesn't seem to cause any
slowdowns on the main PC at all.
Old August 1st 05, 08:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
IamTheWalrus

Thanks for all your thoughts and ideas.

I think I'll go down the router road as then
I would be able to easily add more computers
to the setup.

Thanks again.
--
IamTheWalrus