Cheap but reliable ADSL NAT/Firewall router

Old July 29th 05, 05:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Default Cheap but reliable ADSL NAT/Firewall router

As some of you will know from other threads, I have been having problems
with my 3Com 3CRWE754G-72A wireless router - and it's still playing silly
B's at times, but not consistently enough to guarantee being able to
demonstrate the problem to 3Com.

While I decide what to do, I'm looking for a cheap replacement. It doesn't
need to be wireless since I have only one wireless PC - and that lives in
the same place most of the time anyway, and has a network port.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a basic 4-port ADSL
modem/router/firewall with NAT? Nothing fancy - I'm not into VOIP or
file-sharing etc.

I see that Dabs do a DabsValue jobby with Conexant chipset for about 28 quid
which looks like it might fit the bill - but some of the reviews on the Dabs
site are not very positive on the reliability front. Anyone using one of
these? What do you think of it? Any other recommendations - Solwise SARxxx,
etc.?
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old July 29th 05, 05:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Bailey

Tiscali Tim wrote:
[...]

Hi Tim,

I've always been a fan of the Netgear DG834.

I'd be rather apprehensive of buying an ADSL Router for less than 40.
You get what you pay for.

http://www.dslsource.co.uk
--
Kind Regards,

James Bailey )
Metronet Support (http://support.metronet.co.uk)

--------

Tel: 087-0284-0284 (National Rate)
Tel: 020-7043-8202 (London)

--------
Old July 29th 05, 06:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nicola Redwood

"James Bailey" wrote in message
Tiscali Tim wrote:
[...]

I've got one of these

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...oduct ID=1794

No problems whatsoever

Nicola

Old July 29th 05, 06:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

I'd be rather apprehensive of buying an ADSL Router for less than 40.
You get what you pay for.

Maybe so, but I have installed at least 6 of the cheap Ebuyer ADSL routers
( Safecom) and they have all been brilliant.

Just my 2p

DAve
Old July 29th 05, 07:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

dave stanton wrote:

I'd be rather apprehensive of buying an ADSL Router for less than
40. You get what you pay for.

Maybe so, but I have installed at least 6 of the cheap Ebuyer ADSL
routers ( Safecom) and they have all been brilliant.

Just my 2p

DAve

Do you mean the SAMR-4114 (Quickfind 48449) at 19.56+VAT?
[ http://tinyurl.com/owlu ]
If not, could you please post a link to the correct one. Many thanks.

--
Cheers,
Tim

Old July 29th 05, 07:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Nicola Redwood wrote:

I've got one of these

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...oduct ID=1794

No problems whatsoever

Nicola

Look interesting! Thanks.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old July 29th 05, 07:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

Do you mean the SAMR-4114 (Quickfind 48449) at 19.56+VAT?
[ http://tinyurl.com/owlu ]
If not, could you please post a link to the correct one. Many thanks.

Yes thats the one.

Dave

Old July 29th 05, 08:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 29 Jul 2005 17:24 (UTC), "Nicola Redwood" wrote:

I've got one of these

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...oduct ID=1794

No problems whatsoever

Thanks for that. Yes, I've used Ebuyer and Dabs units, and passed some on
to friends. Must be around a dozen or so that I can check from here, if
the ADSL connection is not dead at their end. I think there's little to
suggest that paying 60 quid gets something significantly more reliable than
something costing half that, and while Tim had a concern about those with
the Conexant chip set, I've used such routers for the past 40+ months

Old July 29th 05, 08:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

poster wrote:

Thanks for that. Yes, I've used Ebuyer and Dabs units, and passed
some on to friends. Must be around a dozen or so that I can check
from here, if the ADSL connection is not dead at their end. I think
there's little to suggest that paying 60 quid gets something
significantly more reliable than something costing half that, and
while Tim had a concern about those with the Conexant chip set, I've
used such routers for the past 40+ months

My concern wasn't with the Conexant chipset per se (I've got a PCI ADSL
modem with that chipset which works perfectly) but with the whole DabsValue
device - based on several reviews saying that they had worked for a short
time and then gone up in a puff of smoke!
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old July 29th 05, 08:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

Tiscali Tim wrote:

Do you mean the SAMR-4114 (Quickfind 48449) at 19.56+VAT?
[ http://tinyurl.com/owlu ]
If not, could you please post a link to the correct one. Many thanks.

I've installed the single port version (EBuyer code 48448) for a number of
friends and family. It's excellent value for money, but beware the default
'out of the box' setting is firewall off. Just 3 clicks from the set up home
page to set it on though.

--
Mark