Broadband Voice installation and 05 numbers

Old July 29th 05, 07:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Taylor

Default Broadband Voice installation and 05 numbers

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting BT Broadband Voice.
I've got a couple of questions that I hope someone will be able to answer.

1) Installation.
BT Tell me that I will need to install some software on my PC to use
Broadband Voice.
As I use a linux box, I doubt that that is going to work.
Is it really necessary ?

2) 05 Numbers
I've heard that there is a new number range that some Telecom companies
(maybe it was NTL) are not supporting.
Are the Broadband voice number in this range ?

Thanks
JohnT
Old July 29th 05, 09:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting BT Broadband Voice.
I've got a couple of questions that I hope someone will be able to answer.

1) Installation.
BT Tell me that I will need to install some software on my PC to use
Broadband Voice.
As I use a linux box, I doubt that that is going to work.
Is it really necessary ?

2) 05 Numbers
I've heard that there is a new number range that some Telecom companies
(maybe it was NTL) are not supporting.
Are the Broadband voice number in this range ?

Thanks
JohnT

As I understand it with BT BBV you have to pay an additional monthly charge
akin to a line rental.
Maybe it is for this reason that BBV doesn't get mentioned much in this
group.

(BBV is the VOIP equivalent of AOL if you understand my thinking)

You get an ATA that plugs into your network router or switch and a regular
phone or DECT base plugs into the ATA.

As for your Linux PC, an ATA or a SIP VOIP phone are network nodes in there
own right, your PC doesn't come into the equation, but having said that,
Google "Asterisk VOIP". This is an awesome open source full featured PABX
that runs on a Linux box.

I use Sipgate and 1899voip
Sipgate give you free geographic telephone numbers.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old July 29th 05, 11:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
sean

John Taylor wrote:

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting BT Broadband Voice.
I've got a couple of questions that I hope someone will be able to answer.

1) Installation.
BT Tell me that I will need to install some software on my PC to use
Broadband Voice.
As I use a linux box, I doubt that that is going to work.
Is it really necessary ?

Nope
2) 05 Numbers
I've heard that there is a new number range that some Telecom companies
(maybe it was NTL) are not supporting.
Are the Broadband voice number in this range ?

They use 05600.... Not sure if they work with NTL or not
Old July 30th 05, 12:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Graham wrote:

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting BT Broadband Voice.
I've got a couple of questions that I hope someone will be able to answer.

1) Installation.
BT Tell me that I will need to install some software on my PC to use
Broadband Voice.
As I use a linux box, I doubt that that is going to work.
Is it really necessary ?

2) 05 Numbers
I've heard that there is a new number range that some Telecom companies
(maybe it was NTL) are not supporting.
Are the Broadband voice number in this range ?

As I understand it with BT BBV you have to pay an additional monthly charge
akin to a line rental.
Maybe it is for this reason that BBV doesn't get mentioned much in this
group.

5 quid a month.

It's 12 month contract if you get the hardware from BT, 3 month if
not.
Is there any linux software that'll work with BBV?

(BBV is the VOIP equivalent of AOL if you understand my thinking)

You get an ATA that plugs into your network router or switch and a regular
phone or DECT base plugs into the ATA.

The big plus of this, is that it's a small, compact unit, that provides
a UK phone line anywhere you plug it in, with no need for a laptop/...
to sit there and do phone stuff.

As for your Linux PC, an ATA or a SIP VOIP phone are network nodes in there
own right, your PC doesn't come into the equation, but having said that,
Google "Asterisk VOIP". This is an awesome open source full featured PABX
that runs on a Linux box.

If you're running a computer solely to do VOIP, then the 4 quid a month
can be fairly easily exceeded by the power use of that computer.
Old July 30th 05, 12:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
sean

Is there any linux software that'll work with BBV?

Nope.

It only works with BT hardware
Old July 30th 05, 01:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Ian Stirling:
If you're running a computer solely to do VOIP, then the 4 quid a month
can be fairly easily exceeded by the power use of that computer.

Rubbish ! Less then £1.
But buying ATA, VoIP phone or VoIP enabled router isn't cheap.
Linksys PAP2 ATA is £40 (if not locked to Vonage).
But from then on most of the calls can be FREE.
Regards,
Martin

Old July 30th 05, 01:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

JohnT:
2) 05 Numbers
I've heard that there is a new number range that some Telecom companies
(maybe it was NTL) are not supporting.
Are the Broadband voice number in this range ?

Yes, some people can't call these 056 numbers, but that should be sorted out
soon.
However calls to 056 cost 5p min at all times, so don't be surprised if you
friends stop calling you !
Better get free geographical number of your choice from sipgate.co.uk, NO
rental to pay,
calls to UK geo numbers are 1.2p at all times.
Regards,
Martin

Old July 30th 05, 08:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 01:32:49 +0100, "Martin²" wrote:

calls to UK geo numbers are 1.2p at all times.

1.2p/min whereas BTBBV has free evening and weekend calls.

Phil

Old July 30th 05, 08:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 18:55:11 GMT, John Taylor
wrote:

1) Installation.
BT Tell me that I will need to install some software on my PC to use
Broadband Voice.

that would be BT Communicator. You've been talking to poets in a
cublicle farm :-)

BT Broadband Voice supplies an ethernet to phone adaptor (ATA)
http://www.btbroadbandvoice.com/broadband_voice/bb_voice_home.html

As I use a linux box, I doubt that that is going to work.
Is it really necessary ?

BT use MGCP protocol, a soft client might be available but I haven't
found one for Windows. The ATA boxes are running *nix.

2) 05 Numbers
I've heard that there is a new number range that some Telecom companies
(maybe it was NTL) are not supporting.
Are the Broadband voice number in this range ?

yes, some NTL areas can't call them.

Phil

Old July 30th 05, 11:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

"Martin?" wrote:
Ian Stirling:
If you're running a computer solely to do VOIP, then the 4 quid a month
can be fairly easily exceeded by the power use of that computer.

Rubbish ! Less then ?1.
But buying ATA, VoIP phone or VoIP enabled router isn't cheap.
Linksys PAP2 ATA is ?40 (if not locked to Vonage).
But from then on most of the calls can be FREE.
Regards,

50W computer = 10p/day = 3 quid a month.