lost connection

Old July 29th 05, 10:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JIP

Default lost connection

Hi - I know this isn't strictly a broadband query, but people here seem to
be able to help on networking issues as well, so here goes

Basically one of the desktops in my network has stopped connecting.

I have main desktop hardwired into a Linksys modem/router, then a laptop and
a second desktop connected via wireless adapters. All use WinXP SP2 and all
have the free Zonealarm. This setup has worked fine for some time. Now,
although main desktop and laptop are still working fine - both connect to
the network and internet - the second desktop has dropped out. When I switch
on, the icon in the system tray shows that the signal strength is good, but
there's a message "This connection has limited or no connectivity".

If I look at the properties of the connection in Control Panel/Network
Connections, it tells me Signal strength good, limited or no connectivity,
IP address 169.254.37.35, subnet mask 255.255.00, automatic private address.

The same info from the main desktop says IP address 192.168.1.101,
255.255.255.0, assigned by DHCP

The same info from the laptop says IP address 192.168.1.100, 255.255.255.0,
assigned by DHCP

If on the problem PC I use the option to "Repair" it ends with a message
"could not finish repairing - can't complete renewing IP address".

Using ipconfig /all it says, amongst other things, DHCP enabled.

Any ideas welcome please

Old July 30th 05, 12:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Yddap

In ,
JIP opined very noisily:
[...]

Make a new network connection on the effected PC, ensuring the same network
name as the other 2 ( will atomatically come up as "MSHOME" IIRC )
--

Yddap
Remove guts to reply

Old July 30th 05, 10:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JIP

Thanks, will try tonight and feedback

Old July 30th 05, 03:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JIP

Well, started the process of making a new connection but discovered along
the way that an option to allow Windows to configure the network was
unchecked - checked it, and all fired into life. How that got unchecked I
have no idea, but it's working anyway.

Thanks for your help.

Old July 30th 05, 03:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Yddap

"JIP" wrote in message
Well, started the process of making a new connection but discovered along
the way that an option to allow Windows to configure the network was
unchecked - checked it, and all fired into life. How that got unchecked I
have no idea, but it's working anyway.

Thanks for your help.

You are welcome
:-)