Bulldog and 18866

Old July 30th 05, 09:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
chrischivers

Default Bulldog and 18866

Deag Wrote:

Yes it does (the 0800 does), but you would be better off with the 1899
number (www.1899.com) for peak calls as they charge a flat 3p wherea
18866
charge per minute.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought both companies charge you pe
minute apart from calls to UK landlines which are 0.0p per minute. 189
say its a flat 3p connection charge whereas 18866 say its a flat 2
connection charge...

Can someone else please confim that Bulldog supports the 18866/189
service or alternative prefix (eg. 0808 170 7788)?

The following text is from the FAQs on the bulldog website, if this i
any help...

-*Does Bulldog support CPS or Indirect Access? And what happens if
have a BT line but put all my calls through another provider?*

In short, we donít. Carrier Pre-Select (CPS) and Indirect Access (IDA
are two measures which the European Union requires BT to support i
order to open up competition, and to allow consumers greater choice i
their selection of telecommunications supplier.

Indirect Access (IDA) was the precursor to CPS. Under IDA, subscriber
would rent their line from BT but prefix their outgoing calls with
code which would instruct BT to route the call via another servic
provider.

Under CPS the subscriber still rents the line from BT and uses anothe
service provider to carry their traffic. However, there is no need fo
them to prefix numbers with a special code as the routing is no
pre-programmed in to the BT network.

Because of its position, only BT is obliged to offer these services
and is the only operator in the UK which does so. The Bulldog networ
does not support these services. Therefore, if a BT customer who ha
CPS on his line joins Bulldog, his CPS service will no longer be i
operation and he will be billed for his calls by Bulldog at th
appropriate Bulldog tariff. Equally, an existing Bulldog custome
cannot subsequently have CPS enabled on his Bulldog line.-

-*Iíve tried dialling a phone number but canít get through. Why i
that?*

In general, almost any number you can dial on the BT network should b
reachable on the Bulldog network. There are, however, three mai
exception categories:

1. FRIACO, SurfTime and Internet Schools Caller services. FRIACO (Fla
Rate Internet Access Call Originiation) is a type of service which B
is obliged to offer for ďall you can eatĒ dial-up internet services
and is used by various ISPs. SurfTime is another version of the sam
idea as FRIACO also offered by BT. Internet Schools Caller service doe
exactly what it says on the tin. None of these ranges are routed b
anyone other than BT, and calls to them will fail.

FRIACO numbers are of the form 0808 99Ö; SurfTime are of the form 084
44Ö; and Schools Internet Caller of the form 0820Ö . As a Bulldo
customer with up to 8 meg, however, itís unlikely youíll ever want t
access - let alone experience - dial-up internet again.

--
chrischivers
Old July 30th 05, 06:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Deag

Can someone else please confim that Bulldog supports the 18866/1899
service or alternative prefix (eg. 0808 170 7788)?

chrischivers

Bulldog does not support the 1xxx numbers but you can use the 0800 numbers.
18866 charge a connection fee and per minute on their 0800 number, however
1899 only charge a connection fee with no per minute charge. I am on Bulldog
and have used both and can therefore vouch for this info.

Old July 30th 05, 07:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"chrischivers" wrote in
message . ..
Can someone else please confim that Bulldog supports the 18866/1899
service or alternative prefix (eg. 0808 170 7788)?

The short 18866/1899 codes won't work on a Bulldog line but the alternative
access 0808 numbers do work.

If you do want to sign up with Bulldog would you mind quoting my referral
code? -just quote "bdol 1734734" when signing up online (under "How did you
hear about Bulldog?/Referred by a Friend") or just mention it while ordering
by telephone (and please drop me an email and let me know!).

Regards
Sunil

Old August 9th 05, 09:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Fred Finisterre

-*I've tried dialling a phone number but can't get through. Why is
that?*

In general, almost any number you can dial on the BT network should be
reachable on the Bulldog network. There are, however, three main
exception categories:

1. FRIACO, SurfTime and Internet Schools Caller services. FRIACO (Flat
Rate Internet Access Call Originiation) is a type of service which BT
is obliged to offer for "all you can eat" dial-up internet services,
and is used by various ISPs. SurfTime is another version of the same
idea as FRIACO also offered by BT. Internet Schools Caller service does
exactly what it says on the tin. None of these ranges are routed by
anyone other than BT, and calls to them will fail.

FRIACO numbers are of the form 0808 99.; SurfTime are of the form 0844
44.; and Schools Internet Caller of the form 0820. . As a Bulldog
customer with up to 8 meg, however, it's unlikely you'll ever want to
access - let alone experience - dial-up internet again. -

--
chrischivers

Do you have a URL for that page Chrirs? A search for FRIACO on the Bulldog
FAQ & Search page gives no results. Nice search engine Bulldog!

Fred.

Old September 6th 05, 12:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Fred Finisterre" wrote in message
Do you have a URL for that page Chrirs? A search for FRIACO on the Bulldog
FAQ & Search page gives no results. Nice search engine Bulldog!

http://www.bulldogbroadband.com/resi...ne_package.asp

Under "I've tried dialling a phone number but can't get through. Why is
that?"

Regards
Sunil