Bandwidth Distribution?

Old July 30th 05, 07:50 PM posted to alt.computer,uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.access
John

Default Bandwidth Distribution?

I just wondered if there is a way of distributing Internet bandwidth
'unevenly' on a home network?

So for example if you had a 2MB ADSL connection, and you had 4
computers on the network, if you wanted two systems to just have a
256KB connection, the other to have a 512KB connection and the last
computer to have 1024KB, is there a way yet to do this?

Cheers

John

Old July 30th 05, 11:49 PM posted to alt.computer,uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.access
sean

John wrote:
I just wondered if there is a way of distributing Internet bandwidth
'unevenly' on a home network?

So for example if you had a 2MB ADSL connection, and you had 4
computers on the network, if you wanted two systems to just have a
256KB connection, the other to have a 512KB connection and the last
computer to have 1024KB, is there a way yet to do this?

Cheers

John

There is some software called Netlimiter which you can use on each
machine, but of course anyone on the machine can change the speed settings.

It also lets you set speed for different applications on your
machine.....check it out netlimiter.com
Old July 31st 05, 12:09 AM posted to alt.computer,uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.access
wooosh

"Sean" wrote in message
John wrote:
I just wondered if there is a way of distributing Internet bandwidth
'unevenly' on a home network?

So for example if you had a 2MB ADSL connection, and you had 4
computers on the network, if you wanted two systems to just have a
256KB connection, the other to have a 512KB connection and the last
computer to have 1024KB, is there a way yet to do this?

Get a router which has bandwidth management.

I think some of the Draytek rage do this.

Paul

Old August 1st 05, 05:30 PM posted to alt.computer,uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.access
Steve

"John" wrote in message
I just wondered if there is a way of distributing Internet bandwidth
'unevenly' on a home network?

So for example if you had a 2MB ADSL connection, and you had 4
computers on the network, if you wanted two systems to just have a
256KB connection, the other to have a 512KB connection and the last
computer to have 1024KB, is there a way yet to do this?

Cheers

John

It is possible to do what you are wanting, but it can only be done with
either a router that has the facility to control bandwidth, or by using a
computer running a proxy server. I do it with the latter. Basically I can
setup a number of accounts (1 for each computer) and have each computer
assigned a certain amount of bandwidth. It has worked here fine for over a
year. There is no way of getting around the limit this way if it is set up
correctly. Of course my option requires a computer to stay switched on
24/7, but this is not a problem here as I have a webserver and several other
things running on a computer that does stay switched on all the time.

Steve

Old August 1st 05, 05:41 PM posted to alt.computer,uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.access
sean

Steve wrote:
"John" wrote in message

[...]

Can you let me know how to set up a proxy server?

Please e-mail me.... remove NOSPAM.

Cheerz
Old August 1st 05, 11:54 PM posted to alt.computer,uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.access
Chris

In article ,
says...
Can you let me know how to set up a proxy server?

If you're au fait with unix, or variant, you can install squid. Google
will be your friend in setting this up. It's not for the novice though.

Old August 3rd 05, 02:31 PM posted to alt.computer,uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.access
Mike Scott

wooosh wrote:
I just wondered if there is a way of distributing Internet bandwidth
'unevenly' on a home network?

So for example if you had a 2MB ADSL connection, and you had 4
computers on the network, if you wanted two systems to just have a
256KB connection, the other to have a 512KB connection and the last
computer to have 1024KB, is there a way yet to do this?

Get a router which has bandwidth management.

Or run a linux/xxxBSD box as gateway/router and use traffic shaping on
that. There are other advantages too.

various domains listed at www.scottsonline.org.uk
Mike Scott Harlow Essex England.(unet -a-t- scottsonline.org.uk)
Old August 4th 05, 12:49 AM posted to alt.computer,uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.access
Fakename

The length of time it takes to become profecient at using it is NOT one
of them.

Old August 4th 05, 10:15 AM posted to alt.computer,uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.access
Mike Scott

Fakename wrote:
The length of time it takes to become profecient at using it is NOT one
of them.

Agreed. But the OP asked for options and specified no restrictions. As
I said though, there are other advantages - considerable IMO.

various domains listed at www.scottsonline.org.uk
Mike Scott Harlow Essex England.(unet -a-t- scottsonline.org.uk)