BB on a DACS line

Old July 31st 05, 01:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bill

Default BB on a DACS line

Exchange in question goes live 23 Aug (allegedly).
Chat with Plus went along the lines of 'we don't place the order until
the exchange is live' and 'then you will have to wait while we get the
DACS removed'.
This seems a shade daft as if BT got the whole DACS requirement up front
they could surely do it in one go.

Ordinarily I'd wait but I would really like to avoid delays so it goes
live while I'm there to get the hardware in and going (parents at other
end of country, not ordering HW up front in case the DACS stays) so:

Is this a correct expression of Plus policy ?
Any point grovelling ?
Any point with another (15/1GB) ISP ?
Worth doing a DACS complaint to BT first or will this only mess it all
up so close to the A-day in that the records will be out of sync ?

TIA
Bill
(expecting a Y N N N reply)
Old July 31st 05, 01:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Bill" wrote in message
news:[email protected] co.uk...
Is this a correct expression of Plus policy ?
Any point grovelling ?
Any point with another (15/1GB) ISP ?
Worth doing a DACS complaint to BT first or will this only mess it all
up so close to the A-day in that the records will be out of sync ?

(expecting a Y N N N reply)

All an ISP does is place an order with BT Wholesale, which I believe they
can do at any time (even before the RFS date)

BT Wholesale then process the order - identifying if a line has DACS and if
so, arranging for it to be removed, is part of BT Wholesale's standard order
process.

An ISP doesn't have to tell BT anything - though it is likely to take a
couple more days for BT Wholesale to activate a line otherwise if they
didn't have to remove a DACS.

Its relatively rare that BT are able to remove a DACS line.. + I can't see a
point complaining to BT now about the DACS..

Regards
Sunil

Old July 31st 05, 01:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 00:09:09 +0100, Bill
wrote:

Chat with Plus went along the lines of 'we don't place the order until
the exchange is live' and 'then you will have to wait while we get the
DACS removed'.

BT acts to remove the DACS as a 'best effort' when the order for ADSL is
placed. I don't know that there's anything the ISP needs to do that is
special. When a friend ordered ADSL, he didn't even know about DACS
and it was only when there was no stnc from the exchange (checked with
my router, not a USB unit) that the ISP explained they'd chase BT. It
took BT 10 days to remove the DACS, but should have been done prior to
the activation being considered 'complete'. Seemed like it was some
sort of oversight when his ADSL was being done. Still that was 2+
years ago, and they should handle it much better now! Good luck!

Old July 31st 05, 02:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cullen Skink

Sunil Sood wrote:
news:[email protected] co.uk...
?

(expecting a Y N N N reply)

All an ISP does is place an order with BT Wholesale, which I believe
they can do at any time (even before the RFS date)

BT Wholesale then process the order - identifying if a line has DACS
and if so, arranging for it to be removed, is part of BT Wholesale's
standard order process.

Didn't work that way for me. I think I had about a month of going back
and forth with my ISP, retrying the same fixes each time so that they
could tell BT that everything had been tried. An engineer came out and
even he didn't spot the dacs. Well if he did he never mentioned it to me.
Then a few days later I was told there's a dacs. It wasn't flagged up at
the initial order stages by BT Wholesale. The whole process seems to be
unbelievably inefficient.

Old July 31st 05, 11:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
poster

On 31 Jul 2005 00:28, "Sunil Sood" wrote:

Its relatively rare that BT are able to remove a DACS line

If people had a second phone line intending it to be for internet
use, then there might be spare lines which are being cancelled now
that so many more people are switching to ADSL, with low activation
costs and a lower need to consider keeping a dedicated line. Is it
really the case that BT cannot remove DACS ? Peter M.

[cross-posted and follow-ups to uk.telecom for comments ]

Old July 31st 05, 03:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

wrote:

Ordinarily I'd wait but I would really like to avoid delays so it goes
live while I'm there to get the hardware in and going

why not just order it then go when you get the email to say it is live
?

Phil

Old July 31st 05, 04:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cw

"Cullen Skink" wrote in
:
It wasn't flagged up at
the initial order stages by BT Wholesale. The whole process seems to
be unbelievably inefficient.

Welcome to the world of BT records.
BT has existed for a long time and they haven't always kept records of
what has been put in what place so engineers often turn up and have to
figure out what to do when they get there.
We fitted out an office where BT turned up on a Friday (new office,
people due to move in on the Monday) only to find out that there was no
cable running from the street to the building. They did the work they
could in the building but had to put in a request for someone to lay
cables from the street. That took a good few weeks.

--
Colin
Old July 31st 05, 06:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cullen Skink

cw wrote:
"Cullen Skink" wrote in
:
It wasn't flagged up at
the initial order stages by BT Wholesale. The whole process seems to
be unbelievably inefficient.

Welcome to the world of BT records.
BT has existed for a long time and they haven't always kept records of
what has been put in what place so engineers often turn up and have to
figure out what to do when they get there.

Everything about it seems inefficient though. For example, my BB was
supposed to go live on 8th June. When it didn't I phoned the ISP. After
trying all their suggestions they put a line fault report to BT. BT did
a few line tests, couldn't find anything wrong so closed the fault
ticket. I phone the ISP, go through the same checks with the ISP, the BB
clearly isn't working so they raise another line fault report with BT. I
phone a couple of days later to be told BT have closed the ticket again.
They go through the same checks with me as "BT won't accept our line
fault report otherwise," and as it's still not working they raise another
line fault. Third time and BT send an engineer. It's crazy. Why didn't
BT just phone me the first time and ask was it working and arrange to
send an engineer out? Quite frustrating.

Old July 31st 05, 07:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 31 Jul 2005 16:12 UTC, "Cullen Skink" wrote:

They go through the same checks with me as "BT won't accept our line
fault report otherwise," and as it's still not working they raise another
line fault. Third time and BT send an engineer. It's crazy. Why didn't
BT just phone me the first time and ask was it working and arrange to
send an engineer out? Quite frustrating.

Bet it is, but from the ISP's point of view, they don't want to involve you
in a costly call-out fee, if there's something mistakenly unplugged, and as
BT W are dealing with millions of customers, some portion of those engineer
visits would be for silly wiring issues etc, yet very costly in staff time.

OK, BT would charge, but for every wasted trip there would be a number of
people still wanting that engineer visit, and still without service, while
he goes to visit Mr Bloggs (with duff wiring). Was quite a revelation that
for someone on a 2000 kb connection, so long as the speed is above 400 kb,
BT Wholesale don't consider there to be any problems... Tell that to the
crowd moaning about not getting full speed on their connections, because
of a bit of traffic shaping within the ISP and they'd go mad if traffic
was down to about 25% of the speed they normally expect !! Peter M.

Old August 1st 05, 01:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

wrote:

[...]

Hi Bill,

This is the normal way we handle orders, whilst the BT ordering system
accepts orders before the exchange ready date the only way we can do this
is to place the order manually, by not placing the order until the
exchange ready date the system can stay automated.
If you to want to let me have your username or a ticket number from your
account I'm happy to give it a go (note the system will bill you your
activation fee or first month's payment), although I don't know if it will
make any difference to getting the DACS removed, it still may have to wait
until the exchange ready date before they can book an appointment.

With Regards,

Dave,