Extension Faceplate Wiring

Old July 31st 05, 02:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew

Default Extension Faceplate Wiring

Just purchased an XTF-85 faceplate from ADSLnation. This is an extension
faceplat with built in ADSL filter. The existing BT extension has one socket
and I connect my router to this using a plug in filter which splits to allow
the router and telephone to be connected.

When I remove the existing filter there are 3 wires connected as follows:

Blue to connector 5
Orange to connector 2
White with orange to connector 3

The first problem I had is that when I wired up the XTF-85 I couldn't get
anything; no dial tone or ADSL. I removed it and refitted the original
faceplate and everything was OK. I then tried to refit the XTF-85 but in
doing so the blue wire snapped. There are a number of otherwires that appear
to be free (that is not connected at the socket end or at the master
faceplate end - could I use one of these instead? I realise I would need to
connect it to connector 5 at the master socket end.

Also if anybody has an XTF-85 could they advise how it should be wired up
please. It has 2 banks of connectors (3 per bank). 1 set labelled with
Phone5, Ring4, Phone2 and the other set labelled as Line5, NC and Line2.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Old July 31st 05, 08:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pilbs

"Andrew" wrote in message
[...]

Should normally be wired as
Blue on 2
White of Blue on 5
Orange on 3

Old July 31st 05, 09:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew

Also if anybody has an XTF-85 could they advise how it should be wired up
please. It has 2 banks of connectors (3 per bank). 1 set labelled with
Phone5, Ring4, Phone2 and the other set labelled as Line5, NC and Line2.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Should normally be wired as
Blue on 2
White of Blue on 5
Orange on 3

Thanks for that but which of Line 2 & Line 5 or Phone 2 & Phone 5?

Cheers,
Andy

Old July 31st 05, 09:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gel

3 is normally for bell capacitor; depending on phone type may not
actually need to be connected for phone to ring; more modern ones don't
seem to need it, as has one built in [as opposed to needing 1 in Master
BT Socket].

Much useful stuff such as diagrams on subject at www.solwise.co.uk

Old July 31st 05, 04:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alec

From the ADSL website:

"Easy Installation with screw terminal connectors for incoming connection
and IDC terminals on the rear allow connection of additional hardwired
telephone extensions. "

So the line goes on the screw terminals and any downstream connections are
IDC.
When all else fails .....

Old July 31st 05, 05:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Alec wrote:

From the ADSL website:

"Easy Installation with screw terminal connectors for incoming
connection and IDC terminals on the rear allow connection of
additional hardwired telephone extensions. "

So the line goes on the screw terminals and any downstream
connections are IDC.
When all else fails .....

Indeed. In addition, it isn't a faceplate per se - it's a complete
replacement for a master socket - with an unfiltered ADSL outlet and a
filtered phone outlet - with knone connections to enable additional
extensions (which will be automatically filtered) to be connected.

If the OP wants all the extensions to be filtered by this, this must the
*only* thing directly connectly to the original master (using the screw
terminals), and all other extensions must be daisy-chained off this one's
krone connections. In addition, no analog equipment must be plugged into the
original master - because that isn't filtered by this arrangement.

One other comment - going back to the original post - the wires connected to
pins 2 and 5 on *all* sockets must be a *single* pair - i.e. using the same
colours e.g. blue with white and white with blue. The existing setup appears
to use one wire from each of two different pairs - which will provide no
noise cancellation.
--
Cheers,
Tim